Is there a better way?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

Re: Is there a better way?

Postby shaman » January 20th, 2014, 6:26 am

Turkey Junky, you read something wrong. First off, I am constantly changing up the calls, and venues-- at least most years. A couple years have been different, and I'll explain why.

First off, the issue of the calls. I have about a half-dozen or more of each kind of call that I bring to camp. I have a dozen or more mouth calls. I have a small (y'all have called it a purse) shoulder bag, and I carry a few calls with me each time I go out. I try and mix it up as much as possible, and try and sound as different as possible. Some years, like last year was different. If I make zero contact, I may keep the calls in. I may also try it if I had really good luck. I change out calls for changes in weather-- some work better in rain and humidity. Last year was weird. I had so many days where I did not hear much of anything.

Now about the venues, I hunt. I have six scattered along the central spine of the main N/S ridge. There is a line of trees stretching from the house to the back of the property that is less than 10 yards wide but stretches 3/4 of a mile. It marks the course of the abandoned road. Each venue is nothing more than a big tree, and a broken-down bit of fence, but I've gone in and somehow improved it for hunting. I've cleaned out the ground clutter, pulled up some limbs and dead cedars. I may hang a bit of die-cut camo. In some instances, I'll sit in one all morning. In other instances, I'll move. The point is that I try to change things up, and if I hear a flock, I have a place in mind to go.

And I consider this collection of venues an area. I have about a half-dozen of these areas around the farm. The individual venues I may use only once a season. The areas themselves may get one use per weekend, or a few uses during a week.

And then we have the Honey Hole. The Honey Hole is a special place, because it is a turkey magnet. Before season, I can creep up there in the dark and set up with my mike and catch a flock or two waking up and flying down. It is on a high spot , but just far enough off the high point as to be invisible to a bird. The flocks are 80 yards or more down the side of the ridge. During season, the turkeys show themselves an hour or more after flydown and come out into the pastures to either side. Frankly, I try and stay away, but it keeps drawing me back.

I've got to run now and get to work. I'll write later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 20th, 2014, 1:58 pm

shaman i understand what you mean you misunderstood what i was saying i think??? i am not talking about changing calls from say a slate to a mouth call to a box call from from opening day till the end of the season... im saying you have to change the turkey talk you are using to match the phase of breeding the turkeys are in... when gobblers are all bunched up or GAY acting you will have to use some gobbles & or gobbler/jake yelps to get them interested in ur set up... maybe a fighting purr thrown in??? if its a huge winter flock of birds all mixed age & sex maybe kee kee runs will work much better then the standard 6-8 note plain hen yelp???

if all else fails get as close as you can to the gobbler & make some calls closeness kills... i like to if a gobbler gets hung up make some hen calls & get him answering then ill get silent then make a few hen yelps & answer my own call with a gobbler shaker alot of times that hung up bird starts to gobble & has to come in for a look at who is stealing his girl from him... u mite scare off a few little 2 yr olds but i have not scared off many using this technique...

shaman

Postby shaman » January 21st, 2014, 6:28 am

Ooops! Okay, I get you now.

Well, I'm just getting back. I walked into work yesterday and the network was down. I love the smell of a switch room burning in the morning. I dunno, it smells like. . .

. . . At six-thirty last night, I finally walked out and came home.

I know what you're saying. Those are good ideas. I've had luck that way in the fall, but never tried it in the spring. I had a couple close calls early on that got me shy of gobbling. However, it sounds like a good strategy now that I'm on my own plot.
ImageImage

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 21st, 2014, 3:15 pm

i agree gobbling at birds on heavy hunted public lands is not the best idea... i have only called in 1 hunter using the gobble call or answering real gobblers with a gobble shaker he was a dumb ass had 2 kids with him he was wearing blue jeans & a black coat his kids had on blue jeans & a red & blue sweat shirt just plain stupid thats why i called him in after we talked about who was hunting wear??? i have herd 3-5 people on public lands using the gobble shakers & i just didnt hunt the area i was able to tell it was a fake gobble i figured a turkey can also???

figure if the season is really late or cold & the birds are still in large flocks like the fall season fall calling techniques may be the ticket???

i kee kee run alot at toms that are with hens or flocks of hens just to try to get the hens to come over for a look if there in a hen flock they may want another hen in the flock or get jealous & come & try to run me off??? worst case they go the other way like most breeding/winter flocks do when u try to call to them... also a lost hen kee kee running with a lost yelp or yelps thrown in works alot if you have a gobbler that just dose not want to budge not sure why it works maybe he thinks he has a lonely girl to him self ETC. but so called fall calls have a place in the spring turkey woods...

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 21st, 2014, 6:59 pm

Shaman, here is my two cents. First off, I believe I would add a couple of food plots to attract the birds to be there more during the spring and fall weather it be clover, chuffa, or anything else they love.

Second, I think you might put too much pressure on the birds. I think you are putting pressure on them by walking around and watching them from a distance and also by hunting. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there about 2 or 3 other people hunting there also. Please don't take me wrong because I do know they are family and you want to see everybody get a bird and tell stories at the cabin and I understand that and in the same boat. I have about 350 acres of land to hunt but trying to get my 2 birds and trying to get 6 or 7 kids their birds that ends up to be a lot birds from such a small tract of land.

Last but not least, I think you might be over thinking everything because of the tag soup last year. We, as turkey hunters, do seem to get into bad habits and sometimes we do need others to point them out to us. Last year was a tough year and there are some people that I know of that didn't even hear a gobble. The birds I killed was more of learning the birds habit and waiting for them to come to me.

I hope this spring works out better for you and that you are able to take your limit.
Is it turkey season yet?

shaman

Postby shaman » January 22nd, 2014, 6:27 am

You know, this food plot thing has been a constant source of irritation for me. I've had two parties mowing my hay for the past 12 years. All I ask in return for 80-some bales is they dig me up a few food plots. So far I've had 2 1 acre plots and 2 quarter-acre plots, and the last one was 2008. Yes, I've had my best years with those still fresh, but I've also had banner years where nothing was done. There is enough clover already there that I'm thinking that if I just mow a few spots to get rid off the duff, and throw down some fertilizer the clover will spring up like it does on my lawn. What I really need is someone who will reliably hold to the bargain.

Pressure. I've wondered about that too. Before season, I don't call. I just listen. There has been usually no more than 2 two-person teams out at any time. Usually it is just me or just me and Supercore. We usually go somewhere and sit, and possible get up and move at 10 and 2 and go somewhere else with lunch in the middle. I am a sparing caller. Supercore is near-deaf, so he does not call hardly at all. We hunt the Opener, the next week and then the weekends thereafter. I don't know what is an appropriate amount of pressure, but that's what we do.

Overthinking? Well, of course. It's January. The bug's bitten, but there's 6 inches of snow on the ground. What else is a dedicated turkey hunter going to do? That WAS a stinkin' year last year, wasn't it? Dang! I think they all crawled in a sewer and pulled the lid over the top and didn't come out to summer.
ImageImage

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 22nd, 2014, 9:01 am

shaman wrote: That WAS a stinkin' year last year, wasn't it? Dang! I think they all crawled in a sewer and pulled the lid over the top and didn't come out to summer.

Then there is that factor.. Hunting small parcels you are never guaranteed nothing.. I have seen parcels that were very good and than one year the birds do not use them and back the next spring..

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » January 22nd, 2014, 10:36 am

With all this talk about pressure I started think. I have 2 spots I can hunt that are both 50 acres. One in Southern Mi, the other in Ontario. I am basically the only one that hunts turkey on them in the spring. They both have roost areas either on the property or one property over. On both these properties there is a lot of human activity around during the hunting season but no a lot otherwise. The guy next door on one rides his atv up and down all day if he knows you are there hunting.During deer season in the fall the place is over run with hunters. With all this going on you would think the birds would move or change habits but so far about 10 years that I have been hunting there they still seem to have the same pattern and I usually kill them in the same areas. This fall I went there and can usually kill several if I want in a couple days of hunting but this year I did not hear a peep in 5 days. I talked to the landowner a week later and he said the birds were back and he saw a big flock in the area I usually hunt. Go figure. Maybe it was just a bad year like you said and hopefully this year it gets back to normal for you. Sometime its more fun day dreaming and pondering what the new season will bring even more than it is actually hunting it ! OK that was lie :D ;) . ;)

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » January 22nd, 2014, 12:24 pm

Shaman.....I think the others are right about the pressure thing. I would go up more often so that the wildlife sees you there on a regular basis, hoping they get accustomed to your presence OR avoid it and hunt the day that you do go up. It could vary well be someone else putting the pressure on your birds while you aren't around.
You talk about changing areas, I see that, but I think the birds can still hear you from several of the different spots.
Changing calls or calling sequence or turkey talk, all can be a plus, maybe try a different type of call such as the wingbone or tube, give them something totally different.
Food plots are always a plus....I understand that you have clover in the places already but, designating a plot just for the birds may help.

Just curious, what part of Kentucky do you hunt? I have been hunting up in Guston which isn't far from Fort Knox for the past 15 or so years and it has been a banner year, every year. Birds were plentiful and responsive.

Roger
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

shaman

Postby shaman » January 22nd, 2014, 1:26 pm

STEROIDCHICKEN wrote:
Just curious, what part of Kentucky do you hunt? I have been hunting up in Guston which isn't far from Fort Knox for the past 15 or so years and it has been a banner year, every year. Birds were plentiful and responsive.

Roger

I'm in what's called the Trans-Bluegrass. That is, between the river and the start of the Bluegrass region. I'm in SW Bracken County, less than a mile from the Pendleton line. I can see Bracken Pendleton, Mason and Robertson from the porch.

While the NE region has had improving harvest numbers the past decade, Bracken's been killing fewer gobs every year the past few. I know a lot of it is weather-related. If the Opener is bad, it queers the numbers for the whole season. It's funny, but when the rest of the county has a bad Opener, the action is hot up on my ridge and vice-versa. This past year, there were too many gobs on the Opener-- we had 3 hours of complete mayhem, and then squat the rest of the season. The neighbors had similar luck.

In a normal season, the Opener is quiet and then things heat up gradually through the first week. That's part of the joy of it all for me-- watching the turkeys turn back on after their latency period and culminating with a few good days towards the end of the week.
ImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion