Turkey Hunting with Blinds and Decoys ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
hawglips

Re: Turkey Hunting with Blinds and Decoys ?

Postby hawglips » January 17th, 2014, 12:09 pm

J Hook Max wrote:If your goal is to kill turkeys , both will help you. If your goal is to become a better turkey hunter , leave the blinds and the decoys at home. Learn to rely on your calling and woodsmanship and you will become a much better turkey hunter.
You will have a pretty sharp learning curve to overcome and there will be times when you wish you had your blind or a decoy , but in the end you will have many more turkey hunting skills.

This. ^^^

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 17th, 2014, 12:31 pm

J Hook Max wrote:If your goal is to kill turkeys , both will help you. If your goal is to become a better turkey hunter , leave the blinds and the decoys at home. Learn to rely on your calling and woodsmanship and you will become a much better turkey hunter.
You will have a pretty sharp learning curve to overcome and there will be times when you wish you had your blind or a decoy , but in the end you will have many more turkey hunting skills.

Ive wrote this many times.. You put it very well..

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » January 17th, 2014, 2:24 pm

I for one disagree except for the part about calling and woodsmanship. There area I hunt had no turkeys for many years and also from that no old time turkey hunters. I was lucky in this because when the number of turkeys was enough to allow a hunt I basically learned how to hunt them on my own and with no pre-conceived or taught biases. I tried everything, blinds , decoys and many different calls. I didn't like sitting in blinds as it was too confining but I wouldn't say it was easy far from it. You still have to scout and use woodsmanship to locate the turkeys but then once you believe you have the right area you need to lug in the blind and sit in basically one spot. As far as decoys I found the same thing you still need to locate the turkeys and hunt them. The use of a decoy does not always work and they can also be a pain to lug around. As far as hunting without a decoy I would have to say that it is about the same except you don't have the extra stuff to carry around. Some of the easiest hunts I have had were without blind or decoy. Now as it was said calling is the main difference I would agree. Until my calling actually got to a point where I hit the right cadence etc I had difficulties in hunting with a blind, a decoy or without. Once I got the calling down I have been better able to get responses and call in the toms or their hens to range no matter what the so called crutch I used or didn't use. You can learn something from all of these methods and I for one am glad I tried them all and didn't just listen to the experts on this. ;)

By the way what does if your goal is to kill turkeys mean anyway :?: :?: That is definitely my goal everytime I go out turkey hunting !

shaman

Postby shaman » January 18th, 2014, 6:54 am

timbrhuntr wrote:
By the way what does if your goal is to kill turkeys mean anyway :?: :?: That is definitely my goal everytime I go out turkey hunting !

The sport of turkey hunting lends itself to this idea. You have to remember that turkeys are very easy to kill. We nearly extirpated them as a result. So as a result there is an overriding ethic of handicapping one's self to make it sporting. Some handicaps are imposed by the states. You have to use shotguns, you can't hunt them out of the roost, etc. However, a lot of these are self-imposed. Some fellows interpret "by calls alone" very strictly and others do not. We've had long and bitter arguments on this august forum over this topic. In fact, this place used to be a lot busier this time of year, and there used to be a few more pro-staffers on here.

This is a bear you may or may not want to poke. I don't mean timbrhunter specifically. In general, however, you will find blinds and decoys to be extremely controversial. My feelings occupy the middle ground in this. I suspect yours do as well. On the one hand, we've tried one or the other technique, we've seen how they work, we don't buy into the ethics debate. We own a pop-up and some dekes, but we've generally stopped using them. That position right there may buy you a healthy dose of flak from both extremes. It has me.

Me? I feel like we have enough turkeys now that a guy in a pop-up is not taking away a turkey from a guy who only hunts with calls. You can hunt your way on your ridge, and I can hunt my way on my ridge. However, there have been folks on here that lump a pop-up, decoys, corn piles, and (believe or not) abortion into the same category. This is not singling out any person currently on here or currently posting on this thread. I'm just giving you the history.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 18th, 2014, 8:50 am

shaman wrote:We've had long and bitter arguments on this august forum over this topic.

If anything, those threads were highly entertaining :lol:

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » January 18th, 2014, 10:20 am

shaman wrote:
timbrhuntr wrote:
This is a bear you may or may not want to poke. I don't mean timbrhunter specifically. .

Yes it is :!: :mrgreen:

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 28th, 2014, 10:32 pm

I use blown down trees or logs for blinds much of the time. I'll trim a few small branches and stick them in the ground in front of me, to help break up my outline. I've only hunted with decoys when I hunt open areas, which isn't very much (<25% of the time). I use a gobbler lounger chair every time I go hunting though, because my back wouldn't be very happy if I didn't have one.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

hawglips

Postby hawglips » January 29th, 2014, 6:13 am

It seems to me that blinds and decoys totally change the way the game is played. They take away his best defenses - his eyes and ears and turn him into a different type of quarry. It changes everything about the way he approaches the hunter, and the way the hunter acts towards him. He can talk and laugh at them and move around while they are just yards away, instead of hunting them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpKa1GyfG8&noredirect=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hXFQCQGVDE&noredirect=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onkV6cJbDtQ&noredirect=1

The good thing about blinds and decoys is that they allow wheelchair bound hunters and kids to have a better chance of success. You can put the blind up anywhere and the turkeys just don't seem to see it, allowing the hunter to do things he couldn't do otherwise. Decoys take the turkeys attention off of the sound of a "hen" calling, and focus it elsewhere, enabling the hunter to get away with things he couldn't otherwise, and taking away the need to do things he'd have to do otherwise.

It changes the sport in a big way.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » January 29th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion