My Competition Call

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

My Competition Call

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 17th, 2014, 2:25 am

Built this one for competition calling, it's a rock maple over mahogany with walnut/port oxford cedar and a wenge/holly strikers. This call has had a bit of different tuning done to it for stage calling. Hope the judges like it ;) .
Attachments
MM1.jpg
MM1.jpg (103.5 KiB) Viewed 549 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

retranger

Re: My Competition Call

Postby retranger » January 17th, 2014, 7:57 am

Scott had did these calls come about,,,,I had never seen one till you posted yours? You do nice jobs on your calls (and everyone else also) too nice to take in the woods!!!
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 17th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Well Doug, we kind of have to blame JJ for letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak :P . They've been around a while and have managed to sneak under the noses of most turkey hunters. A lot of builders knew about them but never paid much attention to them, or had tried building them and couldn't make it worth their wild to keep producing them, because nobody knew much about them and wouldn't buy one. They have always been kind of the hush hush call to the public, and any hunter that learned the different ways on how to run them kept it pretty quiet.

But they came on the hunting sene in the late 1960's from an Ohio builder named George Huffman. George built his calls and sold them through the Fur-Fish and Game magazines in 1983 for $12.50, up until his health got bad enough to build them anymore. He's now in his mid 80's in a retirement home. George Huffman Jr. used to help George build the tongue calls. The call was named, Huffman's Turkey Instrument with Vibrating Tongue. The first calls George built had a handle on them, like a handle on a boat paddle long box had, as in the later years the handle was removed. There are a few other call builders building them, Jim Hemm from Piqua Ohio, and Flatt Creek Custom Calls build them also, as does pappy (Jack Lewis), so there are a few of these calls out there, but they've been kept pretty quiet.
Attachments
Huffman's Turkey Instrument.jpg
Huffman's Turkey Instrument.jpg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 532 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

pappy

Postby pappy » January 18th, 2014, 7:04 pm

First time I have seen one with the paddle I would love to have one myself! Good luck in the Nationals my friend you entered the Midwest too didn't you? I sent two south and one north...LOL

bbcustomboxcalls

Postby bbcustomboxcalls » January 30th, 2014, 5:37 pm

Looks great!

Bill

Return to Call Makers