Midwest call builders and calling contest

WillowRidgeCalls

Midwest call builders and calling contest

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 31st, 2013, 9:25 pm

If anyone is thinking of going to Midwest this year here are the dates. Calling contest starts about 8am on Sat. Call builders show starts Fri. and runs through Sat. until about 3pm.
Attachments
NWTF.jpg
NWTF.jpg (123.1 KiB) Viewed 540 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Midwest call builders and calling contest

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 15th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Anyone headed to the show this year?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 15th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Scott, are you going to enter it with one of your teasers?
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 16th, 2014, 8:59 am

That's my plan, one call two strikers. No need to take a case full of calls, if I can't do it all with one call, then so be it :mrgreen: . That's always been my biggest complaint about competition calling, granted certain calls are easier with a certain calls, but when your in the woods you don't swtich calls to do every call you want, you do the best you can with whatever call your using. I would love to see a competition where everybody uses the same calls, just like it was back in the begining where a guy says I can run my box call better that you can run your box call. It would be interesting to see who the better caller is if they all used the same calls and ran the different calls that the announcer asked for, like if they had a box call, a glass call, a slate, a trumpet, a mouth call, and they all had to do a chosen call, a kee kee run, a flydown, a assembly call, a cluck n purr, on every call that was there. That would put the emphasis back on who is the better caller, and not on who's product is the best. I think you'd see a lot more people getting into a calling contest if they'd do that, because now a lot of people won't get into a contest because they can't afford to buy all the best stuff to use in one, but they can run their calls just fine. I know there are a lot of people sitting at their puters watching these contest and go get their call out and run it to see how well they could do? If you have a good call that you can do every call on then that's a good call, if you don't then you may need to look for one that you can? A contest is about who can run a call the best, no matter what call it is, if your the best caller it should make no difference what call it is, it's how well YOU can run a call!!!
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » January 16th, 2014, 11:42 pm

Hoping to make it down there this year. Travis is entering some calls in the call makers contest. I want to go watch some of the contest. Since I am running one this year and have never been to one in person.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 17th, 2014, 1:46 am

Are you going there just to watch the competitions or are you entering it Randy?
The Hunter Class is the best one to enter for first time callers.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 17th, 2014, 2:17 am

This is the one I'm planning on running, it's a Rock Maple over Mahogany with a walnut/port oxford cedar and a wenge/holly strikers.
I've tuned this call for Stage Calling, I'll retune it for hunting after I'm done with the contests, but it has that deep hollow sound in the yelps with a nazzly rasp at the end, the cutts are sharpe and crisp, the kee kees are a mid-tone whistle with just a touch of soft rasp at the end of the yelp for the kee kee runs, the purrs are a soft clean purr with a nazzly finish, the flydown has that squeaky start that drops into a deep hollow ending and raspy cutts for the finish. I'll be using HS Strut chalk, which helps give it a cleaner sound. Then after I'm done stage calling I'll retune it for hunting with a deeper rasp so the call will carry a lot farther and have a more relistic bird sound, and switch to RR chalk that last longer in the woods.
Attachments
MM2.jpg
MM2.jpg (92.59 KiB) Viewed 452 times
MM3.jpg
MM3.jpg (98.94 KiB) Viewed 452 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 18th, 2014, 12:42 pm

another beaut Scott, I'm sure she'll sound great for you. Good luck in the dells, I don't think I'll be able to make it down this year unfortunately.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » January 18th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Not sure if I will enter yet or not. Planning on getting in the Kenosha contest. Still debating on this one.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 31st, 2014, 1:54 pm

Shane will have the calling contest LIVE on his webpage (CallingAllTurkeys) for anyone that wants to watch the contest? It's starts at 9 am central time.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Wisconsin