guess age of this gob

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
scoot12

guess age of this gob

Postby scoot12 » January 14th, 2014, 1:55 am

Image haven't posted in awhile and have 9 gobs hanging on my property last month, here is one old boy, looks like he has some nice hooks, maybe WillowRidge can come take him out for me, I have trouble with these old smart birds. Any opinions. Scoot

eggshell

Re: guess age of this gob

Postby eggshell » January 14th, 2014, 7:57 am

Scoot, he is 3 yearse plus and that is all that can reseasonably be determined. I ran a turkey check station for 30 years and saw thousands of dead gobblers and listened to 10,000 debates on age. I also had several gobblers checked in that were tagged as jakes and so had a known age. In most cases you could guess within a year, but it was at best 60-40 after 3 years. Of course we know a jake and the second year a 1" rounded spur gives an 85% chance it's a two year old and a pointed spur 70% it's three, after that it's a guess. I know one time we had two birds checked in the same day from the same area that were tagged and we all guessed the ages. I called the research center and they checked the age. everyone guessed right on the one bird as a 2 year old, but the other bird no one guessed right. The guesses started at three and went to 5-6 years old. when I checked I found both birds were tagged at the same cannon net on the same day and were both jakes. genetics have as much to do with it as age, but standard rules usually get us close, I will not guess beyond 4 years and accept that any gobbler that survives that long is a wise old bird. I know I'll probably get some disagreement on this, but that's my 2 cents worth on aging. Oh yeah, I do have a degree in wildlife management and a long career with a wildlife agency, although; it was in fisheries I had a lot of crossover experience with our game managers. So I am fairly confident in my opinion.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » January 14th, 2014, 8:17 am

I'll agree with eggshell, and say 3 years also ;) Maybe??? 4 years at very best from the pic.?? Unlikely though.
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » January 14th, 2014, 8:43 am

Looks like a dandy 3 yr old to me..... :geek:
David

You never know, unless you go

retranger

Postby retranger » January 14th, 2014, 8:47 am

I say he is at least 3 and pushing 4. Hard to tell in the pic, I blew it up but didn't help any. Here is what I go by: AGING TURKEYS

0” TO ½” One year or a jake

½” to 7/8 Two years

7/8” to 1” 3 years

1” and above 4 years and up
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » January 14th, 2014, 10:07 am

scoot12 wrote:Image
Image haven't posted in awhile and have 9 gobs hanging on my property last month, here is one old boy, looks like he has some nice hooks, maybe WillowRidge can come take him out for me, I have trouble with these old smart birds. Any opinions. Scoot

?????? Are you busting us? I see no gobbler. What am I looking at?
Help

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 14th, 2014, 11:56 am

I've always judged the age of a bird by his spurs, being a WI bird, we useally don't get birds with real long spurs, 1.5" or less. Most are about 1-1/8" to 1-3/8" for an old bird. What I look for is if the spurs are sharp pointed and start to curve that he's about a 4 yo bird, a 3 yo will have a fairly sharp point, but mostly a straight spur. As Dana said, genetics have a lot to do with it, but that's what I've always used as a guide for aging.
Last spring you had those two old birds that you got alot of pics of and the two 2yo that you played hide n seek with all season, and an outhouse full of jakes that kept running your gobs off, you should have a good spring hunt?

Here you go goose ->
Attachments
IMAG0240_zpscaf10565.jpg
IMAG0240_zpscaf10565.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 248 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 14th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Here's a better pic of the two old boys from this last spring.
Attachments
IMAG0218.jpg
IMAG0218.jpg (702.23 KiB) Viewed 246 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » January 14th, 2014, 1:18 pm

I was going to vote for 2 1/2 to 3 yrs. Down here we don't have any rocks or snow or other stuff like that to wear the spurs down, so a 2 yr. old bird could have spurs over an inch long with good sharp points and a beard as long as the one shown. Just my humble opinion though.
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

dewey

Postby dewey » January 14th, 2014, 1:51 pm

I would guess 3-4 years old for sure. Without it being banded and knowing the exact age there is no real way of knowing for sure. He also has a nice paintbrush beard.

He would hang nicley from a tree branch I bet :D

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion