Anybody tried Winchester's LongBeard XR ammo?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Cut N Run

Anybody tried Winchester's LongBeard XR ammo?

Postby Cut N Run » January 14th, 2014, 8:12 am

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/1 ... key-loads/

After reading this article I was pretty impressed by the improved performance of Winchester's new Longbeard XR product. It appears to help hold the pattern together to aid in more lethal patterns at greater distance, always a plus in the turkey woods. Imagine how well HTL shot might perform with the same Shot-Lok? Yikes!

I'd be curious to hear a forum member's experiences with it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

icdedturkes

Re: Anybody tried Winchester's LongBeard XR ammo?

Postby icdedturkes » January 16th, 2014, 9:11 am

William at Sumtoy has been shooting some of it.. Its just starting to trickle out to consumers and with alot of the country being cold the big influx in data is probably a little ways away.

http://www.sumtoycustoms.com/index.php/component/content/article/11-breaking-news/6-breaking-news

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 16th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Nice post ice.

Alright gun gurus, I have a question for you. In the photos of icedturkes post the Remington 20" barrell had a better pattern than the Beretta 28" barrel. I would have thought the 28" would have held a better pattern than the 20". In your opinion, why did the Remington out perform the Beretta?

I cant wait to see this ammo on the shelfs and try it out.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 16th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Your going to get a better pattern with the Rem shooting a 3-1/2" than the Beretta shooting a 3", if they would of shot the same shells I'd think the patterns would of been very close to the same.
With todays technologies in new wads, shot, powders, chokes, the shorter barreled gun will out perform a longer barreled gun. The old school thought of a longer barrel better than a short barrel was correct back when all we had to shoot was just a plain jane shell.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 17th, 2014, 9:37 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:\
With todays technologies in new wads, shot, powders, chokes, the shorter barreled gun will out perform a longer barreled gun. The old school thought of a longer barrel better than a short barrel was correct back when all we had to shoot was just a plain jane shell.

There is a reason the majority of NWTF Still target shooters shoot 26+ inch barrels..

The technologies you have mentioned have made the shorter barrel guns a formidable weapon that sometimes pattern as well as their longer barreled siblings.. The longer barrel in most cases will still put up better numbers and is usually more tolerant of chokes..

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 18th, 2014, 8:23 am

Technological innovation is always interesting. From such innovative thinking we've had new and better products developed in the shooting sports. The development of tungsten-based shot is a prime example. Another example is the development and refinement of turkey chokes. Both of these developments have enabled us as turkey hunters to get better patterns from our shotguns. Those good patterns and time spent at the range which lets us find out the capabilities of both our gun/choke/shotshell combo and our own shooting ability, have allowed us to cleanly kill a wild turkey at all reasonable ranges.

For 40 years organizations like the NWTF, wildlife professionals and responsible hunters have urged and educated us about good sportsmanship and ethical hunting practices. Some of you will remember when there were very few wild turkeys in many of our states. We've seen an almost unprecedented increase in those numbers for the last couple of decades, to the point that many turkey hunters today assume that it's always been that way. In the last 10 years however, there have been some dramatic decreases in the numbers of wild turkeys in many states that has by and large gone unnoticed by the general hunting populations. Conserving the resource that we all love is as important today as it's ever been.

It will be very important for us as experienced hunters to set the example for others.

For many years, mainly since the development of tungsten-based shot like Hevi-Shot, we, at least many of us, have considered 40 yards as the maximum ethical range for shooting turkeys. It's not just that patterns begin to deteriorate beyond that point, which they most certainly do but the fact that the vital head/neck area of a turkey is a very small target, even at 40 yards and for many hunters, perhaps most hunters, holding on a target that size at beyond 40 yards if very difficult if not impossible.

The likelihood of putting pellets into the body of a turkey greatly increases at ranges beyond 40 yards. When a clean and humane kill is the objective, the last thing we want to happen is to put pellets into the body of a turkey that may cause an infection or slow death days or weeks later.

I like the innovation of the new Winchester shells but have great concern about the marketing of 50 yard, 60 yard or even longer shots. The pellets are lead and still have "X" amount of retained energy at a given yardage.

I have shot them.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 18th, 2014, 9:01 am

allaboutshooting wrote:I have shot them.

Thanks,
Clark

And

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 18th, 2014, 10:50 am

icdedturkes wrote:
allaboutshooting wrote:I have shot them.

Thanks,
Clark

And

It seems to depend upon what choke tube I've used. I'd been seeing good patterns until last Thursday when i shot a couple through a turkey choke that a fellow sent me. It may have been the choke or maybe just a couple of bad shells but the patterns were very poor. They resembled large "8"s with lots of holes and gaps. I shot them through my 935 which normally patterns everything very well. The choke was ported with a .675 exit diameter, so I was a little surprised at the results.

So far I've just shot the 3" shells with #6 shot. I still have the 3" shells with #4 and #5 to try as well as 3.5" shells with #4, #5 and #6 shot.

It's too cold here now, only 18, to do any serious work at the range but when it warms up, I'll shoot a few more and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 18th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Here's a link to a pattern with Winchester Longbeard shells posted on another site: http://www.nwtf.org/message_board/ubbth ... w=1#UNREAD

Scroll down near the bottom and you can see it.

Thanks,
Clark

hawglips

Postby hawglips » January 21st, 2014, 1:45 pm

allaboutshooting wrote:It seems to depend upon what choke tube I've used. I'd been seeing good patterns until last Thursday when i shot a couple through a turkey choke that a fellow sent me. It may have been the choke or maybe just a couple of bad shells but the patterns were very poor. They resembled large "8"s with lots of holes and gaps. I shot them through my 935 which normally patterns everything very well. The choke was ported with a .675 exit diameter, so I was a little surprised at the results.

So far I've just shot the 3" shells with #6 shot. I still have the 3" shells with #4 and #5 to try as well as 3.5" shells with #4, #5 and #6 shot.

It's too cold here now, only 18, to do any serious work at the range but when it warms up, I'll shoot a few more and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Clark

Clark, since the thing that makes these shells pattern better than other lead shells is that the payload is encased in resin - which holds the shot together for a longer period of time and seems to be broken up as it exits the choke - I wonder if a more open choke might be the way to go with them. Sort of like the principle of the flite-control wad. That would be interesting to test and see.

Hal

Next

Return to Shooting