National Calls

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

National Calls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 28th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Finished them up today, they will go south next week. One is a Maple/Jack Pine with an old school sound to it, the other is a Parquet call with Purpleheart/Bloodwood-Curly Maple with Blackwood inlays, with a crisp sharpe sound to it. Both with turned cedar strikers. This gives them two different sounds to choose from and two completely different looks to the calls. Hope the judges like one or the other?
Thanks for looking, Scott.
Attachments
BBM1.jpg
BBM1.jpg (78.07 KiB) Viewed 306 times
BBM2.jpg
BBM2.jpg (53.44 KiB) Viewed 306 times
PM2.jpg
PM2.jpg (59.95 KiB) Viewed 306 times
PM1.jpg
PM1.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 306 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

rbewilson

Re: National Calls

Postby rbewilson » December 28th, 2013, 7:13 pm

They look great,good luck with them

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » December 29th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Dag gone Scott , that top one is REAL purty, that oughta win you something ..... ;)
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » December 30th, 2013, 8:28 am

Great pair of calls Scott. Hopes for the best for you at Nationals!!!!
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 12th, 2014, 2:27 pm

It will be interesting to see how they compare to the OTHER POT CALLS in that category? It will depend on wheather or not the judges actually know how to run a tongue call, so I asked that question? I know a couple of the judges that run the calls in the friction categories and one of them owns 6 of George Huffman's calls, so I would think he'd know how to run one? Although he made the comment that, They are in the OTHER POT CALL category and to be honnest a tongue call doesn't have much of a chance in that category because, A TONGUE CALL DOESN'T HAVE THE VERSATILITY OF A POT CALL, Hmmmmmm? I was tempted to ask him if he could make a pot call sound like a mouth call, wingbone, pot call, and a box call, but I didn't . He said every judge is proficient at running friction calls, and are very versatle at running all sorts of calls, I guess we will see? I think it will be interesting :roll: .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » January 12th, 2014, 4:18 pm

A pot call has more versatility than a tongue call.......REALLY! Could of fooled me. The one thing that is the biggest minus with a tongue call is moisture and I know no way around it. when it's wet it's out of business. However, once you learn the spots on a tongue you can be several different turkeys at once. Most pot calls I have run have one, mybe two true sweet spots. The tongues sweet spots are mostly dictated by what call or sound you want, move up and down that tongue and you can be a whole flock. I know guys in the past that thought they could jam a tongue call in their pocket and beat it around, rub the surface to a polish aand then complain that the call doesn't play well. They do need a bit more TLC thanut if you take a glass (duh), but if you take care of them they will kill you birds when other calls fail.

Scott, the one thing I used to battle with George's call was glazing of the wood, have you found a way to beat that or is it just a fact we have to recondition the surface periodicall?

Guys I just received the two tongue calls Scott made me yesterday and played them both against one of George Huffman's original tongues (this thing is maybe 25 years old and still plays), until the Mrs told me to take it outside. The Huffman is heavier and has a more hollow sound, but I think scott's has more pure turkey in them....I like the realistic tone. I will have to work on learning to purr well on Scott's though. All in all if the judges are looking for a turkey in a box, Scott should do very well. His calls are master workmanship with pure sound....the stratevarious of alternative friction calls. I am no dummy to calling and I would put my endorsement on these calls. I think George would approve. I remember when george gave me the firt vibrating tongue and said try this call out and now I feel the same way as Scott said see how these play. I am honored two great men trusted me to try their product.

Scott, I sat on one of the stools from George's workshop as I played your calls, I thought it only fitting.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 12th, 2014, 5:31 pm

REALLY? I see you came to the same conclusion, as I think most of the guys that are running them have also?
The glazing, especially on a new call surface will glaze up quickly, so I just keep lightly sanding it with about a 100 grit sandpaper to rough it up a bit. They are like a new glass call that has to be conditioned a few times before they settle down and play good for the time your out in the woods. I've been also suggested to, to use that rain chalk, that is a lot tougher chalk that isn't effected by moisture quite as bad, it puts a better protection on the tongues and should help with the glazing problem? I know guys use it on pot calls that the striker skips bad on and it helps those play a lot better, so it should help the tongue calls also since we have to chalk those? When I purr on mine I always thumb the tongue, it give the call a deeper toned purr, like for a fighting purr. You can lay your thumb acrossed the tongue or just thumb the edge of it and it gives you two different tones of purrs. The biggest problem I've found with them is getting the tongues wet, they tend to want to warp, being thin unprotected wood. Sometimes the tongue wants to warp upward, then I just wrap a rubberband around the tip to keep it flat and let it dry out, if it wants to warp down then you can poke a small stick in the tip hole to keep it flat while it dries. So far all I do is carry mine in a zip-loc baggy, it keeps the chalk from rubbing off and keep the call dry. I still have a few things to learn about these call, but the more I use them the more I learn.
Glad the calls played good for you and you were happy with the sound of them. I was happy to hear they sounded very close to the original calls in tone. Walnut is a tough surface to run every call sequence on until it gets conditioned well enough, but the maples and purplehearts seen to be a lot easier and settle down faster.
Good luck in the woods with them amd post a gobbler pic when you get one.
Thanks, Scott
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » January 12th, 2014, 9:44 pm

George Huffman Tongue call [1600x1200].JPG
George Huffman Tongue call [1600x1200].JPG (42.25 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Ok here are a couple of pictures of calls. The first is of the two Willowridge calls Scott sent me with an early Huffman Vibrating tongue and a trophy George made me. I included the trophy just for fun as George made these for our chapter of NWTF and replicated one of his calls each year. I won one that was a huge tongue call too, but Shad Arington owns it now as part of his collection. The second picture is of one of George's later calls which he marketed, it too belongs to Shad. all the calls I saw later were smoother nice looking calls than the one I have pictured, I could not tell you why he made this one squared off and i don't know what the stain is, heck this call is at least 25 years old, but it still plays turkey.
Attachments
IMG_0010 [1600x1200].JPG
IMG_0010 [1600x1200].JPG (54.91 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 12th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Thanks Dana.
The squared look of that older call is the way most of the older calls looked back then, then they found out by rounding off the corners helped the corners from chipping and splitting. The first Gibson's were the same way, the end of the calls were sharpe and they'd chip from use. Rounding the edges made them easier to slip in and out of pockets or bags that they'd use to carry their stuff in. That's the same as trying to put a box call into a holster if the call has square corners on the lid, it's an effort to try and get it back into your holster. Staining a call back then was something they often did also until they discovered that staining the call effected the calls sound by soaking into the wood, because everything used was an oil stain. You fill the poures of the wood full of oil it takes a long time for the oil to dry out, and when it does the call doesn't sound right because it was tuned when the poures were full of oil.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 12th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Its cool hearing/seeing some of the history on this call. Thanks guys.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Next

Return to Call Makers