Weapon Concealment ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
charlie elk

Re: Weapon Concealment ?

Postby charlie elk » December 15th, 2013, 10:06 pm

timbrhuntr wrote:The only way I buy into this premature closure scenario is if that same hunter has done this before with satisfactory results. In other words they heard the noise, saw the visual cues and shot killing a turkey without actually identifying it as a turkey especially a turkey with a visible beard. So when this happens again they shoot but instead it is not a dead turkey but a tragic hunting " accident"

Yes this is what happens, the shooter will always swear they saw a turkey not a hunter. Premature closure happens with all kinds of things, it is simply one's mind closing before it has fully thought through the situation. Search (premature closure turkey hunting) with your favorite search engine. You will find a lot information on this subject.
It is taught in most hunter education courses and the International Hunter Education Association has an online course which covers premature closure http://www.ihea.com/hunting-and-shootin ... ne-courses
Because you don't "buy premature closure", perhaps you should retake some hunter education. You might always follow the "rules" perfectly; but as my friend found out last spring not everyone does.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » December 15th, 2013, 10:48 pm

Yes because I don't buy into this BS excuse I need to take yet another course in hunter education. I will agree with pre-closure on one thing though I am about to get .... mind now closed on this.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 16th, 2013, 9:34 am

Sorry, Apparently I failed in my explanation, it's not an excuse.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 9th, 2014, 6:37 am

Jrhunter25 wrote:The Mossberg 500 12 gauge in wood has no advantage in concealment, or does ? Would a wood shotgun give me or another hunter away when hunting turkey ? Do I need a camoed shotgun for hunting turkey ? I know they have sharp eyes and can see color versus deer who cannot, but would they see a black with wood gun when hunting them but the hunter in camo ?

I see it as one of those things where every little bit counts. I've had hens peck at my shoelaces, but I've also had gobs bust me from 80 yards out.

There is a piece on my weblog explaining how to use Krylon and spray paint your gun:
Bubba Paints his Turkey Gun
One of the things I like about this method is that as the gun gets scraped and dinged, I can just put some more paint on and it's back to new. With factory camo jobs, the scratches are permanent. The first and only time I hunted with a paid guide, was where I first saw this done. He had taken an old Winchester 1200 and sprayed a few swipes of green paint on it. You could still see wood and bluing, but that was where I first got the idea for spray painting a shotgun.

There is also a web site out there that sells surplus Mossberg 500 parts:
http://www.havlinsales.com/

What I did with Angus' gun may be instructive. I had a very nice Remington 870 TB with great wood. I ordered up a crappy stock and fore end from EBAY and spray painted them. I also got a barrel with Rem Chokes and spray painted that. The only part that isn't "Bubba'd" is the receiver, and I figure most of that is covered by Angus' glove. After Angus graduates to his full-adult shotgun, I'll put the nice wood back on.
Last edited by shaman on January 9th, 2014, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 9th, 2014, 10:35 am

I will never buy a camo shotgun.. Cost more, if you want a new barrel down the road and want it to match good luck with how the companies swap patterns every year..

One thing that has not been noted is proper setup... Sun, concealment front and back, shadows should all be taken into consideration making the blued gun a non factor.. With that being said most mornings here the woods is a shiny place, frost, dew and than the sun rise everywhere you look something is glistening..

I have never once thought my black shotgun well black with orange speckles was ever a factor in me being busted... Its movement or terrible set up..

shaman

Postby shaman » January 12th, 2014, 7:04 am

Back to this premature closure thing: I didn't know it had a name. However, I've been preaching for years that folks needed to be careful on this. The creepy part of this is that the shooter almost invariably thinks this is a shoot-thru incident. He shot at a turkey and the shot passed through and hit the victim. Later, if the victim survives, it is found there was no turkey. This was not a fellow shooting at a bush or a turkey behind a bush, but a guy firing at a turkey in the open that just wasn't there.

1) These are not ignorant deliberately negligent folks taking the shots. The average number of years' experience of the shooter was 8 years by the stats I've seen.
2) The shooter swears he saw a turkey. In reality it was just a flash of white t-shirt or the red flashing on a sock or some such thing.
3) Most of the shots come from an odd angle, not face-on. That is, the victim didn't see it coming, and the shooter could not make out a human form.

This turns it into a defensive situation on the part of the shootee. That is, I don't trust a seasoned turkey hunter not to shoot me.

1) I try to keep my back to a tree.
2) I don't wear red white or blue anywhere on my person
3) I hunt on private land. I'm the landowner, and I am careful where I send people. Everyone knows where everyone else is hunting, and we stay away from each other. 2-man teams stick together.
4) We have walkie talkies and we communicate.
5) . . . and I still keep my head on a swivel
6) If any ever came into view, I would announce myself and make sure the other guy knew I was there.
7) I don't stalk turkeys. I may maneuver a bit here and there, but I take my birds sitting on my butt, calling to them.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion