Teaser Gob

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
charlie elk

Teaser Gob

Postby charlie elk » December 18th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Finally the deer gun seasons are done, the wind died down and temp warmed to near 20 yesterday. Making for a beautiful day to start in on the turkeys again.
Willowridge Tongue Teaser is something to behold in the field-
Vic Teaser Gob.jpg
Vic Teaser Gob.jpg (75.39 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Vic flushed 2 gobs that immediately started flying away with Vic in hot pursuit. The Tongue Teaser turned this in flight gobbler and he landed 20 yards from me while I was standing in an open snow covered field! This is my second in flight turkey call in.
A couple of weeks ago Vic flushed a group of 3 turkeys that were hiding in and under the snow. I sounded off with kee kee yelping, as if saying hey wait for me. The in flight hen turned peeling away from the other turkeys and landed near the flush sight! She was my first ever in flight call back turkey.
Has anyone else ever called a flying turkey in?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ylpnfol

Re: Teaser Gob

Postby ylpnfol » December 18th, 2013, 9:00 pm

You are obviously hunting a different breed than moi :shock: , never have nor heard of that, until now of course.....but I will second the call endorsement.....
David

You never know, unless you go

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 18th, 2013, 9:06 pm

I gotta agree with David. I have never heard of anyone doing that. Did you do the kee kee call on the gobbler also?

Congrats on the gobbler.
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 18th, 2013, 11:47 pm

WOW, that a new one on me charlie. Sounds like your gettin the hang of that tongue call, job well done :D .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 19th, 2013, 8:26 am

kygobbler wrote:Did you do the kee kee call on the gobbler also

Something like that. It all happened so fast and I was shocked the bird turned let alone landed so close.

As I think back over the years I can't remember ever calling at flying turkeys. The first time a couple of weeks ago it was out of frustration with the lousy weather, noisy snow and lack of turkeys showing themselves. I had been trolling on the slim hope of getting a response. So when Vic flushed the hen while the call was still in my hand the calls sounded off automatically. I assumed the hen returned to the flush sight expecting to find her lost poult? But the gobbler, he was a young one, some call them super jakes did not seem to have that reason?!

Perhaps flying turkeys do respond to calls: it's just that no one tries? Or these turkeys were just anomalies. It is very unusual to find small groups of turkeys this time of year. So maybe their desire to flock into a larger group was overwhelming?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » December 19th, 2013, 10:24 am

Still seems a little far fetched, but strange things do happen in the forest, don't know that I would ever have the presence of mind to call during a flush.....congrats on your birds and Merry Christmas
David

You never know, unless you go

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » December 19th, 2013, 1:33 pm

I've called in several flying turkeys charlie, especially if you're anywhere near a roost site. When I see one in the air I get on the call right away, many times they will turn towards you and come in for a landing. It's similar to waterfowl hunting, the sound gives them a beacon to key in on and most turkeys in the air are desperately looking for a place to get down at. I have not however ever turned a turkey I flushed and had it come back and land, can't say I have tried either.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 22nd, 2013, 4:15 pm

Maybe no one has tried it Charlie. I do not remember ever reading or hearing to call at the flush but wait a while before calling.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to Calling