PORTED BARRELS

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Steve_In

PORTED BARRELS

Postby Steve_In » December 22nd, 2013, 12:46 pm

I bought a Mossberg 20 ga combo gun for my son for Christmas. It has rifled slug and vent rib barrels, both are ported. I did not know that when I bought it and I have found out Mossberg is now only offering their guns ported. I was near a guy at the range when he shot a 12 ga slug gun with ported barrel and my ear is still ringing plus getting splattered with what I assumed was unburnt powder. I checked with Mossberg on a barrel exchange but they will not even quote one. Got the combo from Dicks for $325 OTD and I did not really feel there was a need to research the 500, man was I wrong. Wishing I had paid closer attention to what I was buying as i would have bought a good old 870 instead.
How many of you use ported guns in hunting? Is the blast that great in the open?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: PORTED BARRELS

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 22nd, 2013, 1:41 pm

A ported barrel will help reduce recoil of the gun. They also increase the blast if your not standing completely behind it. You won't notice a a big difference out in the field, but in a blind or semi inclosed area it will tingle your ears unless you get the end of the barrel far enough out a window.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 22nd, 2013, 2:52 pm

My Mossberg "shop" pump, I won at DU, has a ported barrel, and as said, make sure to be behind the shooter ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 22nd, 2013, 4:06 pm

The off to the side blast is what I experienced at the range. My plug on that side was not seated when the guy touched the gun off. OUCH :cry: there went another couple of % of my hearing. So how do I call for him of duck hunt out of a blind or boat. I understand recoil reduction when shooting boxes of shells on the trap and skeet lines but recoil has never bothered me in the field. If it becomes an issue I will get him a set of non-ported barrels somewhere or take them in to the shop and cut them off. I am not at all happy with Mossberg's total lack of trying to make me happy.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 22nd, 2013, 6:07 pm

As long as it's a new gun, exchange it for the 870. If you can't get it exchanged before xmas you could let him open it and then tell him what your going to do and why?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 22nd, 2013, 6:19 pm

Steve, I would take the gun back and exchange it for another, providing the gun has not been shot. A few years ago I bought my son a pump 410 shotgun. (I bought this gun in October but didn't get it out of the box untill Christmas.) When you pumped the gun it would not lock into place unless you really slammed it. After arguing for an hour about how it was considered a "used shotgun" and then hearing "well its not broken in" and a couple more bull crap lines I was able to exchange it for a 20 gauge shotgun.

Be firm and don't take any crap that they try to give you on not taking it back.
Is it turkey season yet?

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » December 22nd, 2013, 6:27 pm

Steve,
I just put together a Mossberg 500C-- 20 gauge pump turkey gun and was able to get a 22" non ported variable choke vent ribbed barrel from my gun shop to replace the 18" barrel and it has only been a few months back that I did it. There must be plenty of 20 ga. non-ported barrels left somewhere. I got the barrel for $150 which was including shipping to the shop. Used the ATI tactical stock also. My 500-- 12 ga. is ported and you DON'T want to be beside it when it lights off, but it does help with recoil and interestingly enough it reduces noise downrange by redirecting the blast wave. My 30-06 Rem. is fitted with a ported muzzle blast arrester and it does the same. On both if you're over a bench or in a box blind expect the concussion reflection, otherwise in the field I can't tell the difference.
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 23rd, 2013, 7:47 am

Dixie Belle wrote:Steve,
I just put together a Mossberg 500C-- 20 gauge pump turkey gun and was able to get a 22" non ported variable choke vent ribbed barrel from my gun shop to replace the 18" barrel and it has only been a few months back that I did it. There must be plenty of 20 ga. non-ported barrels left somewhere. I got the barrel for $150 which was including shipping to the shop. Used the ATI tactical stock also. My 500-- 12 ga. is ported and you DON'T want to be beside it when it lights off, but it does help with recoil and interestingly enough it reduces noise downrange by redirecting the blast wave. My 30-06 Rem. is fitted with a ported muzzle blast arrester and it does the same. On both if you're over a bench or in a box blind expect the concussion reflection, otherwise in the field I can't tell the difference.

Steve .. Do as Dixie Belle suggests, as I can't imagine Dicks not honoring your requst, especially when you explain the muzzle blast in a boat/blind situation!!
I use to kinda smile, when my ole' State Reps., hearing aids, would get to "ringing", after I'd touch on off from the boat :lol: But Hey, I got the duck ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 23rd, 2013, 9:28 am

There really isn't a reason to have to spend another penny to get a diiferent non ported barrel for a new gun. Mossberg should have a warehouse full of them, every chain store has them hanging on their racks. If Mossberg wanted to help a customer then they would get off their backsides and get a barrel to you or at least send you a certificate to get one from a store that has one? I'd tell them if they won't supply you with a barrel, then your returning the gun and getting an Rem. 870.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » December 23rd, 2013, 4:28 pm

The fact that Mossberg should have plenty of them lying around was what I was kind of trying to say. I really didn't mean you should buy another barrel. They should be willing to make a swap or a gun dealer should be willing to make a barrel for barrel swap. Sorry if it came out the other way :oops: .
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Next

Return to Shooting