Super Jake

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ads1

Super Jake

Postby ads1 » December 20th, 2013, 6:21 pm

This past week I was watching a flock of turkeys and clearly there were three gobblers that were in the group. They flew off the roost together but the gobblers segregated from the flock and went to a different area. They had long 8-10 inch beards. This week I saw a flock and thought there was a gobbler with them. He stayed with them all day and in many cases was the lead bird. The bird only had about a 6-7 inch beard and he was not real big. Then there were jakes that has short stubby beards. Could the bird with the larger beard be what some call a super jake? I think some gobblers are getting back with the hens and last years hatch but they do not seem strongly attached to the family group. Anyone out there seen what some call a super jake? Do they exist?

ylpnfol

Re: Super Jake

Postby ylpnfol » December 20th, 2013, 8:59 pm

The bird that was leading the flock that " wasn't very big" could have been a bearded hen, gobblers are noticeably bigger when grouped with hens, even jakes that were born this past spring are/ should be bigger than their mama by now, as for the super jake thing, I refer to male turkeys that are over 1 yr old ( they survived their first spring ) as toms or gobblers, some call them super jakes, whatever, they will generally have 7-8 inch beards by now and will have a 9-10 inch beard in spring as a 2 yr old, round these parts you rarely see gobblers and hens together in fall winter unless food is scarce and they are using the same source..... Which is the case this year in va..... Merry Christmas!!
David

You never know, unless you go

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 20th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Ads, that gobbler I killed back in October was roosted with a family flock. I have seen where a family flock would graze through a grass field and as soon as they left a gobbler flock would come in right behind them. Now when I saw that big flock a couple of weeks ago it was all family flock with a few jakes. I never did see any gobblers around that group. Usually the gobblers stay apart from a family flock.

As far as Super jakes, IMO they are not 1 year old birds. Birds usually around 6-8".
Is it turkey season yet?

ads1

Postby ads1 » December 20th, 2013, 9:38 pm

David, I think you may be right about a bearded hen. I saw two bearded hens in this area last year. It just didn't cross my mind that it could be a hen. All the jakes had stubby beards. Turkey behavior is very interesting and that is one reason turkey hunting is so much fun even if you don't get one.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion