First Xbow Kill

ads1

First Xbow Kill

Postby ads1 » December 19th, 2013, 11:03 pm

IMG_20131219_165644.jpg
ads1 and hen turkey - first crossbow kill
IMG_20131219_165644.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 269 times
The attachment IMG_20131219_165644.jpg is no longer available
Up at 4 a.m. and out the door by 5 a.m. but not before a fruit enhanced bowl of cereal, 5 pieces of bacon, and 3 cups of jet fuel. It’s going to be a great day to hunt turkeys in Lukin Township and enjoy nature’s finest sunrise and sunset. The temperature was 38 degrees, wind was from the south, humidity was fairly high, the moon was full, water was flowing from the snow melt, and the soil was muddy. After loading the John Deere Gator 825i with two hen decoys and my Excalibur Equinox Crossbow I headed out on the 1.5 mile trip to GZ and then a 200 yard walk through a cornfield to my ground blind. I was a little worried because it was so light even though sunrise was 45 minutes from emerging. My blind was on the edge of a White Oak timber and bordered a large cornfield so I was able to glass the trees for turkeys roosting in the oaks. If I could see them they could also see me and this was problematic. Many times turkeys will fly off their roost in the opposite direction if they see you walk in and the full moon made me stand out like a scarecrow in a melon patch. I didn’t see any turkeys rocking in the trees and was ready to slip into the Ameristep Ground Blind. Something was not quite right because there was a rustling inside the blind. There was a critter in my blind and all I had was a crossbow. Sure wish I had my 44 magnum. This was a little scary, but it turned out to be a raccoon eating a candy bar that I had left in the blind. Rats, I forgot to bring the decoys and it was too late to go back and get them. After zipping down two sides of the blind I sat back to enjoy the early morning and listen for any turkey talk before fly down. Although I didn’t see any turkeys in the trees, I could hear some tree yelps a few minutes after sunrise. A few soft yelps from my Primos Box Call and the woods sounded like a high school band and then the turkeys started to fly off their roosts. The flapping of their wings and the cackle of the hens as they flew down caused my heart rate to flutter and my blood pressure to spike. If this was going to cause my demise it was not a bad way to go. Unfortunately the flock of 30 turkeys (only one gobbler) flew down and circled around my blind and then spent the next 2 hours walking 318 yards across the corn field before entering a cutover area. I noted that they entered the cutover in the same area that I harvested 2 gobblers last spring. This was the end of my morning hunt so I headed in for a mid-morning snack and a cup of java. I got back out to my blind at 1:00 p.m. and got my 2 hen decoys set up. One of the decoys was in the eating position and the other was alert watching for any danger: an effective setup for me in the past. No action for 2 hours and then I saw movement across the field. It was a doe and two young deer. At about 3:30 p.m. there was movement to the west; it appeared to be two of the largest coyotes that I had ever seen. Just then turkeys emerged from the cutover and entered the cornfield. I figured the coyotes (turned out to be two large dogs) would scare the turkeys, but they didn’t. The turkeys started to walk the edge of the cornfield away from me, but after a few yelps the rear half of the birds started toward the decoys and then the other half turned and came toward my blind. They took about 5 minutes to get to the decoys. At times they were running and then they had my decoy surrounded. I waited until the biggest “baddest” hen got within 20 yards and lined up the cross hairs on her wings and pulled the trigger on the crossbow. Whack and the feathers exploded; the hen started running and flopping toward the woods and then expired right at the edge. Eight or ten birds chased after her, circled back to the decoys, chatted a bit and enter the woods for a nice nights rest in an oak tree. Hey, it doesn’t get any better than this!
Attachments
IMG_20131219_171040.jpg
Hen
IMG_20131219_171040.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 269 times

kygobbler

Re: First Xbow Kill

Postby kygobbler » December 20th, 2013, 7:45 am

Congrats on the hen and nice story.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 20th, 2013, 10:52 am

Congratulations on a nice well earned turkey. For what it is worth I approve of your crossbow choice. In my humble opinion Excalibur makes the best hunting crossbows on the market. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » December 20th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Congrats on the fine bird and thanks for sharing a great story. That's gonna' make some good eatin' ;) !!!
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

ads1

Postby ads1 » December 20th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Thanks everyone! The best news is that today I was able to purchase a second archery permit for $5.50 and have a new parcel of private land to scout for spring season. May even have a chance to bag another turkey. Our archery season ends January 19 here in Illinois. Like I said, doesn't get any better than this!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 20th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Congrats, on getting some new hunting ground. Hopefully its never been turkey hunted and you get a true limbhanger. Hope you fill that other tag before the season ends.

Return to Illinois