Crazy idea

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Crazy idea

Postby kygobbler » December 15th, 2013, 11:23 pm

On my way home from work I got to thinking. Is there a way to make a mold of an actual turkey head? The first problem I thought of is the head has to be completely dry. I was thinking of using silicon pellets to dry it out. These pellets are the same type that are used to dry out flowers. Second problem I thought of is what will happen to the skin? Will it peel off or just become nasty? I thought of putting modge podge on the head before drying it to help hold everything together.

Has anybody ever done this? If so or not, does anybody have any helpful suggestions on doing this.

misoiltester

Re: Crazy idea

Postby misoiltester » December 16th, 2013, 7:06 am

kygobbler, Are you looking to make a mold for a decoy head??
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

retranger

Postby retranger » December 16th, 2013, 7:43 am

Freeze dried???? ;) ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 16th, 2013, 9:51 am

I know of gun parts being made from latex molds. They make the latex mold them cast a wax part. They coat this in ceramic and burn off the wax. Then pack the ceramic in casting sand and cast the part. Not sure what material you want to cast but it would seem like with all the folds of skin and the wattles it would be a challenge. Would plaster of Paris work for a mold to cast using some bait plastics?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 16th, 2013, 11:13 am

retranger wrote:Freeze dried???? ;) ;)

X2...That's what taxidermist do when using the head for mounting, then repaint it, or they use a cast head.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 16th, 2013, 11:36 am

I originally thought of this to put in the middle of a dream catcher. Then use the mold for whatever else down the road.

I thought about sending one off to get freeze dried but I'm just trying to come up with an idea that you could do at home.

Steve, my wife uses a mixture compound to make molds that she uses sometimes for cake decorations. I will have to see what the name of it is but does a pretty good job on getting every detail. Like you said though it will be interesting to see if it can get all the folds.

Since my shotgun season is over I will get the old bow out and try to get a hen and see how that turns out.

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » December 16th, 2013, 3:02 pm

If you don't mind doing some searching and reading there is a lot of good info here on modelling and casting.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion