Lead or Plated Lead shot ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Jrhunter25

Lead or Plated Lead shot ?

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 14th, 2013, 7:07 pm

For hunting turkey from 40 yards or less should I generally use plated lead shot or regular lead shot ? I know I need to pattern my gun but should I go for plated shot or lead shot ? How does plated shot perform at longer ranges ( ~40 yards ) to short ranges ( ~10 yards ) ? Is it heavier or lighter than lead shot of the same size ? Should I use #6 or #5 or #4 shot ? This is in general before pattern testing.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Lead or Plated Lead shot ?

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 15th, 2013, 6:47 am

For turkey Plated, it will penetrate better and pattern better at longer ranges.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » December 15th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Plated for sure. It doesn't deform as badly as plain lead and therefor flies straighter. As far as shot size, you should definitely pattern your gun to see which shot size it "likes" the best. In other words, which one gives you your best shot pattern in the "kill zone" (head and neck area). Also, patterning will help you decide which brand name of shot-shell and wad style your shotgun "likes" best. I , personally, like #5's because of penetration,but, that's just me :D . I also shoot flite-control wads through non-vented choke tubes and they pattern great in my guns. But again, that's me :D . You will have to get one of your parents, grandparents or good adult friends to help you sort through some of your choices at the range. Each hunter has decided what they and their guns prefer through experimentation as well as experience. Don't forget to pattern your gun at the different ranges you mentioned. I use a 1/8 inch thick peel and stick 12" X 12" vinyl floor tile behind my target paper to check penetration at longer ranges. You can get them cheap when they are on sale at the big home improvement stores, you only need a few. Hope this will help you.
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 16th, 2013, 10:04 am

My brother loads a 1 oz 20 gauge with premium #6 shot. You cannot believe the difference in penetration with this shot over 1 oz Wally World shotshells. There was almost no hair of feathers drug along with the pellets due to the shot being round and not deformed in firing. I use this shot in my 10 bore muzzle loader without a shot cup and get almost zero flyers. This adds to the cost of the shells but is worth it in penetration. Even in my 18 gauge with a rough cylinder bore I get decent patterns.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

hawglips

Postby hawglips » December 16th, 2013, 5:10 pm

If it's performance you're after, shoot something heavier than lead.

Return to Shooting