Hunter Safety

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Hunter Safety

Postby kygobbler » December 12th, 2013, 5:24 pm

After reading some things that have been brought up got me thinking of when I was about 15 years old. My dad and I went deer hunting. It was probably the third or fourth time I had hunted in a deer stand all by myself. After my dad made sure i was good in my stand he went to his stand that was about 70 yards away.

It was a boring day because I didnt see anything at all. Then I heard leaves crunching behind me and moving to my left very slowly. I look towards the sound and could tell it was right behind a line of cedar trees. I get my gun up and turn the safety off. Im waiting for a huge buck to come out. I follow the object Im seeing thru my scope and it comes out from behind the trees and Im ready to pull the trigger.

The moment of truth is here and right before I pull the trigger I notice it is my dad. Talk about scareing the crap out of a boy that did it. I couldn't believe I had a gun pointed at my dad. I couldn't believe I was about to pull the trigger.

That was 24 years ago and it still seems like yesterday. I cant imagine what life would be like if I did pull the trigger.

To me safety is not about what class you took or did not take. Its about how you was taught and making sure you apply it when you are in the field. Its up to us as an individual to make sure what you are aiming at.

timbrhuntr

Re: Hunter Safety

Postby timbrhuntr » December 12th, 2013, 6:44 pm

I would say you did what you were taught and that is to identify your target before pulling the trigger, thankfully. Imagine if you had done what some seem to and that is just shoot at what you heard and saw before actually identifying that it was a deer. In one spot I hunt the lady there liked to go for walks with her large brown dog and wearing a brown coat. I saw her several times walking through the woods while I was hunting. Most times I would catch sight of a flash of brown coming through the woods. I guess I could have just shot and hoped for the best as it seems that to some this is acceptable behaviour. Just say you made a mistake. I used to hunt with a buddy that once kicked the crap out of another hunter in our party because he told him that he saw something walking and scoped him out with the scope on his rifle to see what he was. That is why I carry bino's. I would never think of looking down the barrel at something in the woods before first identifying it as the game I am after.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 13th, 2013, 11:14 am

It now appears to me the biggest area of hunters safety is the falling out of stands. I know I have been blessed not to have taken a plunge out of some of the crappy stands I have been in.
My closest call was when my son dozed off. We were sitting in the same tree at right angles to each other, me in a ladder stand and Ethan ( then 12 yo) in a hang on. He was strapped in. I heard commotion below where Ethan was and thought a deer had came in from behind us and spooked. He had dropped his rifle. The ground was soft and it hit muzzle first. The stock broke through the wrist and lock area, but did not go off. I rigged a simple rope with snaps and loops on each end so he could attach it to the stand so if he dropped it again it would end up hanging muzzle down.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 13th, 2013, 11:19 am

timbrhuntr wrote:I used to hunt with a buddy that once kicked the crap out of another hunter in our party because he told him that he saw something walking and scoped him out with the scope on his rifle to see what he was. That is why I carry bino's. I would never think of looking down the barrel at something in the woods before first identifying it as the game I am after.

I don't know what the stats are but it seems like most of the hunting incidents happen between people that know each other.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

eggshell

Postby eggshell » December 13th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Glad you brought it up KYgobbler, we can not talk about safety too much. Just take my word for it that an accidental shooting while hunting is no fun for either the VICTIM or shooter....It's an experience none of you need or want. It's been 4 years since I was shot and it still haunts me and still affects my health. THERE IS NO GAME WORTH TAKING A CHANCE SHOT ON!!!!
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

retranger

Postby retranger » December 14th, 2013, 8:12 am

eggshell wrote:accidental shooting

I don't believe in such a thing. :oops: :oops: Somebody does something wrong. :roll: :roll:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion