Have, Getting or Considering a Turkey Dog?

charlie elk

Have, Getting or Considering a Turkey Dog?

Postby charlie elk » January 8th, 2011, 5:51 pm

Now that turkey dogs are legal statewide for fall hunting;
Are any of you hunters considering getting one or already have one?
After much research and agonizing about whether to get one or not and trying to figure out what breed or mutt would be best- I have put money down on a Vizsla puppy.  Get first pick of the litter bringing him home on 2/2.
Anyone have any suggestion of what to look for in making this final selection?
I am planning to roll some turkey feathers into my sleeve, the pup or pups who show interest will be prime candidates. [8|]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

thundrchikin

RE: Have, Getting or Considering a Turkey Dog?

Postby thundrchikin » January 9th, 2011, 3:47 am

Good luck with your choice.I never thought of the feathers in the sleve trick but it sounds like it would work. A dog having the drive to chase turkeys is half the battle.Again best of luck.
canecreekcalls.com

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 9th, 2011, 5:39 am

You might consider contacting gblrsrst. I think he is on here but not sure. He hangs out on the NWTF site mostly. He has a web page you might find interesting.

http://www.turkeydog.org/gretchen.html

tdh on here or is it turkeydoghunter...I forget, [8|] also is big into turkey dogs. I think gblrsrst & tdh hunt together.

I have owned 2 viszlas (although many years ago), both bird dogs. I have also owned German Wirehairs, Shorthairs, and Griffons. All have been pretty hyper dogs except the Griffon. They are bird dogs and just want to go go go. I dove & waterfowl hunt and they really do not like to sit and wait. I would think a viszla would be the same nowadays and may be difficult to sit still after the break unless they are bred as turkey dogs. Don't know really, but just something to think about.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 9th, 2011, 6:14 am

That is a pretty good idea I've never thought of that either. For your sake I hope the whole liter doesn't go after the feathers because then your back to square one. Good luck, I hope you pick a good one. Let us know how he/she does.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 9th, 2011, 4:23 pm

I've spent the last couple of years reading and talking to everyone I could find that turkey dogs.  Special thanks to Jon Fries of www.turkeydog.org he led charge- mostly single handed to get dogs legalized in WI, the turkey dog hunter and Steve Hickoff  spent the most time coaching me.  Many others too.  The variety of breeds used is mind boggling it would be so much easier to pick a dog if there was a turkey dog breed.  If there is I haven't found it. From mutts, hounds, setters, spaniels, retrievers.. every turkey dogger agreed it was not so much the breed as the training you give it.  Of course they loved their selected dogs and believed them to be the best.
My reasoning and considerations-
Most of my turkey hunting takes place in steep hills and valleys on large tracts of land- a small breed would wear out, a larger athletic type is better suited.
Burrs and stickers are abundant - making short hair a plus.
Train-ability with intelligence, desire to please a plus.
Self confidence should the dog run into coyotes, the occasional wolf or bear.  
I talked with a Viszla owner who uses his for bear hunting and grouse hunting.  Another in KY uses his for boar and quail hunting.  Many others use them more traditionally for pheasant and furry small game. So with this apparent flexibility seemed like a good chance it might be trainable for turkeys.
Last but certainly not least Mrs Elk has wanted a Viszla for a long time and assures me if it doesn't hunt she'll take care of him.  Allowing me to try again.[;)]  Happy wife = Happy life.
Hope my reasoning turns out to be sound.[8|]
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 9th, 2011, 4:26 pm

That is a pretty good idea I've never thought of that either. For your sake I hope the whole liter doesn't go after the feathers because then your back to square one.

If that happens I will let everyone know there is a huge litter of turkey dogs available!  How cool would that be? [:)]
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 30th, 2011, 7:10 am

On Friday I will be picking out my Vizsla puppy.  One of the males here
http://loneoakvizslas.com/puppies.html
Will be my new turkey dog at least I hope he develops an interest in turkeys that matches mine.   The feathers will be rolled in my sleeve so I will let you know what happens.  Any other suggestions on how to pick are appreciated.
later,
charlie

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 30th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Charlie , I hope that young dog far exceeds your expectations as a turkey dog . I'm looking forward to the stories next fall will bring ,,from Wisconsin.[:D]

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 4th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Which one did you pick Charlie, the blue, purple, or red?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 4th, 2011, 5:55 pm

The purple one.  All the pups were great making for a difficult choice.  Red and blue were in the running they all liked me.  The tip went to purple because he showed the most sustained interest in the turkey feathers rolled in my sleeve.
He traveled home fairly quiet with no motion sickness.  When he settles in I'll get some pics and post em.

If I name him Chuck E. Turkey; Would that too corny?

Grand kids are coming tomorrow to meet him that will be fun.  My granddaughter will be 10 this fall.  Turkey hunting with a dog seems an action packed way to catch and hold her interest.
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Wisconsin