Thoughts on Hevi·Shot ? Hornady loads ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Jrhunter25

Thoughts on Hevi·Shot ? Hornady loads ?

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 7th, 2013, 11:47 pm

What are all of your thoughts on Hevi·Shot's turkey loads, coyote loads, duck loads, goose loads ? Are they ( in your opinion ) worth the extra money ? Has anyone used Hornady shot shells ( turkey or coyote ) ? How do they perform ? Does the wad actually do the patterning for you ? Is their shot good ? Is it high in recoil ?

kygobbler

Re: Thoughts on Hevi·Shot ? Hornady loads ?

Postby kygobbler » December 8th, 2013, 1:55 am

Jrhunter25 wrote:What are all of your thoughts on Hevi·Shot's turkey loads, coyote loads, duck loads, goose loads ? Are they ( in your opinion ) worth the extra money ?

IMO, they are not worth the extra money at all. I use Winchester Supreme and have never lost a turkey because of the shell. When ever you pick your gun and ammo you have to know your limitations. When you go hunting, try and keep your shots within 40 yards.

Jrhunter25 wrote: Has anyone used Hornady shot shells ( turkey or coyote ) ? How do they perform ?

The turkey loads are not worth it. I bought 2 boxes when they first come out and tried it at 40 yards. The pattern was way to open. They will work good inside of 30 yards.

As far as the recoil, I would say its the same as any other 3" shell. It will have a little kick to it.

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 8th, 2013, 8:03 am

Jr., kygobbler is right on. If you're going to use a 2 3/4" 12 load, then look at shells that the gang are recommending. WillowRidgeCalls, has an excellent load as kygobbbler has also. Their experience shoulf be a big help, with you making a choice!!
That being said, yes, I shoot Hevi's 3 1/2" combo 5-6-7 1/2"s, just because I set my mind to make them work. Was it worth the money, no. Had to buy a hevi-choke tube, for that shot. But as the other hunters have said, I go for one shot a bird, and don't loose him!! ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 9th, 2013, 11:39 am

I have no personal experience with the Hornady loads but from what I have read on the various turkey forums they are not a very good shell.

There are a lot of heavier-than-lead loads out there but they are pretty expensive. Anywhere from about $4 a shell to $7 and up.

For a beginning hunter I think you would be much better off to just become familiar with your gun. The ability hit what you are aiming at and to know just how far you can cleanly kill a turkey will serve you much better than any high dollar shell that might give you a few extra yards of killing range. It may be hard to imagine missing a turkey, but there are plenty of turkeys missed every year by beginning and experienced hunters as well.

You really should pattern your gun to see if it actually hits where you are aiming. Not all guns are true to point of aim. A gun can also have a different point of impact when a different shell or choke is used. Patterning can also tell you how far your gun will cleanly kill a turkey and at what range the pattern just falls apart and is no longer reliably lethal. There are better and more efficient ways to go about patterning your gun and if you do go to pattern than you might want to ask about that beforehand.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 9th, 2013, 5:03 pm

I took a couple of shots to show you how the Hornady with a full choke and how a Winchester Supreme 3.5" #5 with a Kick's Gobblin Thunder choke look like through my gun which is a Winchester SX3. Both of these shots were at the same distance of 40 yards.

This is the Hornady shell at 40 yards using a full choke. Notice how much gap there is within the shot placement.
hornady full choke 2.jpg
hornady full choke 2.jpg (70.57 KiB) Viewed 407 times

wlnchester supreme, kicks choke.jpg
wlnchester supreme, kicks choke.jpg (59.7 KiB) Viewed 407 times

Here is a Winchester Supreme 3.5" #5 at 40 yards with a Kicks Gobblin Thunder. Notice how the pattern is close together.

hornady full choke.jpg
hornady full choke.jpg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 407 times

As treerooster showed you with turkey skeleton, you don't have very much of a kill zone. So you want your pattern some what tight but not as tight as a soft ball. The spread pattern on the hornady was 40"x30.5" at its widest. The main grouping was 18"x18". The spread pattern on the Winchester was 24"x23.5" and the main grouping was 16"x16".

I hope this will help you on seeing a good turkey pattern and a not so good turkey pattern. The pics are out of order for some reason but at the bottom of the pic tells you which shot is which.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 9th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Jr I use Remington 3" mag field loads in my 870 pump with a Carlson x-full choke. I get good patterns out to 35 yards with this load and it is only $15-$20 for 25. It is used by my son and no more than he turkey hunts it will do the job. Do a search for Allaboutshooting. He is the turkey gun guru here. He and his wife compete in the NWTF turkey gun shoots. When you get your gun the shells and chokes can be better addressed.

Like Treerooster says practice is important. You can get a lot of trigger time by using just plain #7-1/2 dove loads, this will save you a lot of money, more bang for your buck. They won't beat you up and cause you to develop a flinch or other bad habits. Shoot a couple rounds of trap and skeet too or just have someone throw some clays for you. The facts of shooting are when you go with heavy loads the recoil is going to grow right with it. Stock fit and recoil pads help a lot to make recoil more manageable. You need to learn to do what it takes to make a good shot without worrying about recoil. You will still need to shoot your turkey loads for pattern and POA.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » December 9th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Good thing you weren't hunting pineapples with those hornady loads KY, buggers escaped unscathed both times it looks like :D

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 9th, 2013, 6:40 pm

The bad thing gopher is that hornady tells you to use a IC or modify choke with these shells. The pattern is worse with those two chokes, at least is out of my gun. :?

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion