Weapon Concealment ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Jrhunter25

Weapon Concealment ?

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 6th, 2013, 7:32 pm

The Mossberg 500 12 gauge in wood has no advantage in concealment, or does ? Would a wood shotgun give me or another hunter away when hunting turkey ? Do I need a camoed shotgun for hunting turkey ? I know they have sharp eyes and can see color versus deer who cannot, but would they see a black with wood gun when hunting them but the hunter in camo ?

kygobbler

Re: Weapon Concealment ?

Postby kygobbler » December 6th, 2013, 8:58 pm

You do not need a camp gun. The major thing in turkey hunting is staying still. If you have to move you wait till the turkey can't see you and then you move SLOW very slow.

Here is a pic of the gun that I use and the one the kids use. Neither on of them are camp and have taken many birds.

DSC_0370.jpg
DSC_0370.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 440 times

Sorry for the pic being so big. Right now I can't resize it.

dewey

Postby dewey » December 7th, 2013, 1:55 am

You most certainly do not need a camo gun. Look at my avatar for what gun I use or look under the 'Minnesota' folder for pictures of me and my gun with a fair amount of dead turkeys.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 7th, 2013, 8:59 am

Jr. .. I have a Mossburg 12 pump I won at a DU banquet, that I bought an H & S Strut Under Taker turkey choke for. I lent it to my neighbor's nephew, when I took him turkey hunting. No problems with the wood stock ..but his movements, well let's just say "then hen clucked .. clucked" and that the hunt was over :lol:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 7th, 2013, 2:06 pm

The camo gun really makes no difference, unless the gun you get has a high gloss finish on the stock and barrel. A matt finished gun with a wood stock will have no problem taking a bird. I suggest a wood stock for you if your looking at a 12ga, they have a lot less recoil than a synthetic stock gun has. As far as recoil goes, the moss 500 has a recoil kick like a mule compared to the Rem 870 express, with or without a simms pad. There are a lot of adults that won't shoot them for that reason, if you don't mind recoil then the Moss 500 is a very good gun.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

retranger

Postby retranger » December 7th, 2013, 6:36 pm

You don't need camo to hunt turkey,,,,,,you only need camo to look like a turkey hunter
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » December 9th, 2013, 5:48 pm

As others have said, a camo gun is certainly not necessary for hunting turkeys. movement is the big thing. When in doubt, keep still. As you get experience out in the woods with turkeys at close quarters you will learn when and what types of movements the birds will let you get away with. I'm still shocked some times by the weird contortions a turkey in shotgun range will let me do without spooking. But, as a beginner, the most important thing you can do is keep still, and when you do need to shift, keep the movement slow and smooth. Fast, jerky movements signal danger to a turkey and they will skedaddle and ask questions later (Trying to quick-draw a turkey just about always ends badly in my experience). A slow deliberate movement is no-where near as alarming to them, and in some cases may even pique their interest.

p.s.

Having said that I have a camo gun, and the biggest benefit I see from it is the additional weatherproofing it adds to the gun. Getting rained and snowed on is no big deal whereas my old black 870 would start to rust if it even looked like rain outside.

retranger

Postby retranger » December 9th, 2013, 8:16 pm

[quote="Gopherlongbeards"](Trying to quick-draw a turkey just about always ends badly in my experience)[/quote

and I would add a running or flying bird to that. ;) ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » December 10th, 2013, 5:41 pm

All the guys are right on with their comments about movement. Turkeys can even see very small movements and if they don't like it they go on alert. As you hunt you will notice that different birds in a feeding group will alternately put their heads up and watch while the others feed, that's how they protect themselves. You will learn to use trees and brush and clumps of grass to help you hide your movements as the turkeys work around you. Slow, steady movements and being ready to freeze without jerking are skills you will develop. Building your woodsmanship skills is part of the process. The only thing I might add is try to make sure that your gun is not real reflective. Flashes of reflected light can be seen for a long way by a sharp eyed bird.
I hope you are ready to start your season and have great success come spring.
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 10th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Camo is very important for hunting turkeys. For both safety and success.
Safety- Any small part of a hunter not camouflaged, like a hand or part of a face could be mistaken by another unknown and unseen hunter thinking they see the head of a turkey moving. A longtime hunting buddy of mine was shot this spring while in his Sheriff uniform because the shooter looking through brush thought the patches on his uniform as they moved along a trail were a turkey. He took 56 pellets and is lucky to be alive.
Regarding the gun- you certainly can kill a turkey with an uncamouflaged gun. However, safety dictates it should be camo for the reason above. Sun could play tricks on shiny/reflective wood, plastic and metal giving another hunter the impression of turkey movement.
All the other comments about movement are on the mark; a camo gun makes all those movements easier and less detectible. Flat earth tone paints are cheap and any gun can be painted.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion