New Turkey Hunter

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Jrhunter25

Re: New Turkey Hunter

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 6th, 2013, 9:50 am

misoiltester wrote:Jr. .. just looked in my drawers of collectables and found an extra crow call, you can use for locating Toms. I'll get them in the mail today.
Enjoy your learning experiences, and savor the moments, when you succeed, as you'll have earned them ;)

Thanks !

dewey

Postby dewey » December 6th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Hey Jr. Welcome to the forum. Never be afraid to ask questions or think the question maybe dumb as we have all started where you are now.

If you haven't looked yet I would suggest looking under Ohio (your home state right?) to look if there is a turkey application deadline and if so when it is. Also look at when legal shooting hours begin and close, shooting a roosted turkey (some states it is OK but others it is not and you certainly don't want to be in the field and have that situation arise and not know the answer)

I would highly recommend looking under the 'Calling" folder for threads titled 'Turkey School Calling......"

WRC (Willow Ridge Calls and Scoot) talk about the call and how to make the call and then there is a you tube video of how the call goes and what the call is saying to the turkeys.

There are also some very good threads under the 'Strategy' folder in particular 'Roost trees', 'Roosting' and 'Scouting' that have a lot of responses from the seasoned turkey hunters here.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Jrhunter25

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 6th, 2013, 2:15 pm

dewey wrote:Hey Jr. Welcome to the forum. Never be afraid to ask questions or think the question maybe dumb as we have all started where you are now.

If you haven't looked yet I would suggest looking under Ohio (your home state right?) to look if there is a turkey application deadline and if so when it is. Also look at when legal shooting hours begin and close, shooting a roosted turkey (some states it is OK but others it is not and you certainly don't want to be in the field and have that situation arise and not know the answer)

I would highly recommend looking under the 'Calling" folder for threads titled 'Turkey School Calling......"

WRC (Willow Ridge Calls and Scoot) talk about the call and how to make the call and then there is a you tube video of how the call goes and what the call is saying to the turkeys.

There are also some very good threads under the 'Strategy' folder in particular 'Roost trees', 'Roosting' and 'Scouting' that have a lot of responses from the seasoned turkey hunters here.

Dewey

Can't shoot a turkey in a tree, I must be accompanied by an adult, you need a valid license and permit, and need to use a bow or shotgun. No applications are needed.

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 7th, 2013, 8:42 am

Jr.,
I assume you've had "hunter safety", and have your certificate, for license purchase, correct??
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Jrhunter25

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 7th, 2013, 8:46 am

misoiltester wrote:Jr.,
I assume you've had "hunter safety", and have your certificate, for license purchase, correct??

Yes. I completed hunter education/hunter safety in the state of Ohio. I have my certificate and card that I need to get my liscense. So yes I can get a liscense soon ! ;)

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion