Time to start planning for Spring

ads1

Time to start planning for Spring

Postby ads1 » December 6th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Deer season will be over in a about a month so it is time to start getting ready for Spring Turkey season. I'm pumped just thinking about opening day. In November the gobblers were in bachelor groups, but yesterday the hens, young birds and gobblers were together again. The gobblers roosted in the same area but still isolated themselves when they got on the ground. I saw 16 hens and young birds and 3 gobblers last night that roosted within 100 yards of my ground blind. It snowed last night so I went back to hear them fly off the roost. They flew down in the woods and flew away from my blind, but a few yelps and they answered and came right to my blind. This was the first time I had observed turkeys from a blind and was amazed at how good this worked. Still have an archery tag but wanted to wait til Spring season (got two fall turkeys already) I real[y enjoyed hearing the turkeys yelp after flying off the roost and then after they got back together the yelping stopped. Can't wait til Spring! I have attached pictures from yesterday and this morning after it snowed.
Attachments
turkey10.jpg
turkey10.jpg (61.62 KiB) Viewed 257 times
turkey6.jpg
turkey6.jpg (65.55 KiB) Viewed 257 times
turkey5.jpg
turkey5.jpg (51.48 KiB) Viewed 257 times
turkey4.jpg
turkey4.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 257 times
turkey3.jpg
turkey3.jpg (63.15 KiB) Viewed 257 times

ads1

Re: Time to start planning for Spring

Postby ads1 » December 6th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Forgot to add the snow turkeys. After they flew off their roost I called them back to my blind. Didn't work for gobblers, although they came within 40 yards! :D
Attachments
snow turkey3.jpg
snow turkey3.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 253 times
snow turkey 1.jpg
snow turkey 1.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 253 times
snow turkey.jpg
snow turkey.jpg (31.73 KiB) Viewed 253 times

kygobbler

Re: Time to start planning for Spring

Postby kygobbler » December 6th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Nice pics ads. This is my last week for fall hunting. So I will be in your boat next week thinking about the spring.
Is it turkey season yet?

Return to Illinois