Winter Birds

charlie elk

Winter Birds

Postby charlie elk » December 5th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Uff, winter or what passes for it has arrived with gusto. Real gusto as in 25+ mph wind gusts and at least 2 inches of ice covering the ground. Vic and I tried some winter turkeying today. It was disheartening to think all the turkeys heard us enter the valleys and left long before we could see them. Ice and snow confuses a dog's nose so even Vic did not think there had been any turkeys around...
I'm thinking the birds will be in the woodlands due to all the fields being ice covered. There is no way turkeys can scratch any of that ice to get at the waste grain.
Shot a couple of pheasants yesterday that flushed out the willows and both had crops full of hoppers! so maybe the turkeys will be finding the same in grassy edges.
Anyone else still out hunting? Or just sitting in the easy chair developing some spring fever? :lol: Hmm, if I were smart I'd be... Oh well, no one has ever accused me of being that.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Winter Birds

Postby Gopherlongbeards » December 5th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Not nearly as much ice up here Charlie, but we did get around 6" of snow and boy is it cold out. Havn't been out in 2 weeks but will probably go Sunday, supposed to be the warmest day in the next 10 or so, a balmy 19 degrees for the high.... Will let you know how it goes.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 5th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Good news gopher, Snow is better than ice for sure. The sub zero temps with all wind, if the weather predictors are right, will make for some challenging conditions. Vic and I will up in St Croix county area tomorrow, word has it there is a farm with too many turkeys there.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 5th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Fortunately our last shot gun season starts Saturday and ends on next Friday and I am planning on going. You couldn't ask for better weather for the entire week. Its suppost to be around 32° high and 4° low and that is not including the wind chill. Oh and to add to the fun, ice and snow is moving in tomorrow. I can't wait to freeze my butt off and chase some birds. I just hope there might be a lot of chasing to keep me warm. :lol: I hate cold weather but my love for turkey hunting is stronger than what mother nature can diss out.
Is it turkey season yet?

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » December 5th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Go gettum KY! 4 degrees is going to be the high here tomorrow and a few days next week...

Good luck out there Charlie, stay warm! I do like some snow late season, lets you see where the big flocks have been feeding. If you can get permission, or its in a public area you're pretty much guaranteed some action.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » December 6th, 2013, 12:13 am

This last weekend of the gun deer season the birds were loud and saw a nice group of gobblers. I am going to have to try and get out after them as I have not really been out turkey hunting this fall. My hunting time has been limited and most of it I sat with the stick and string. Did call to a few birds here and there and tried to fill my tag with the bow. I kept forgetting to bring a call with me but a few kee kee whistles had one flock of hens and jennys come running over but never got quite close enough.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Return to Wisconsin