New Turkey Hunter

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Jrhunter25

New Turkey Hunter

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 2nd, 2013, 10:39 pm

Hi I am new to the forums and all hunting. The only time I have 'hunted' was hen rabbits got into grandpa's Eden and I used my air rifle to take him. I recently graduated hunter education with a perfect score. I always wanted to hunt turkey and waterfowl. But since this is a turkey hunting forum lets talk turkey. I am going to ask for a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 ( I would go for the 12 but I don't know about all that recoil ) this Christmas. I know turkeys have sharp eyes, so camo is a must, call of course, turkey loads, and some place to hunt. Should I opt for the 20 ? I have heard it does good, but what shot should I use ? I was thinking of #5 or #6 shot ( steel ) for the turkey with an improved choke for a tight pattern. I have a steep budget of maybe 20$ more than my gun costs ( gun ~300, so about 20 bucks left ). I plan to buy a call around spring for spring turkey hunting. For camp the restless xtra green looks good for spring. How do I know where to hunt ? I live in Franklin County Ohio ( just in case someone knows an area ). Do turkeys like a certain area ? Fields ? Woodland ?

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: New Turkey Hunter

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 3rd, 2013, 12:47 am

Welcome to T&TH Jr, you are about to embark on an addicting hobbie. The 20 Moss 500 will be a good gun for you, shoot a FULL choke with Federal 3" turkey loads in either 4 or 5, that will give you a good pattern out to about 30-35 yards, and save you some pocket change. Buy a call as soon as you can and practice, practice, practice until spring. Your best bet would be to find a Learn to Hunt program, that way you'd be hunting with an experienced mentor that will teach you how to hunt/call them. What you learn that weekend will point you in the right direction on how to hunt and work a bird, that and what you learn from these sites will help you a lot. Ask a bunch of questions, there are a lot of good hunters on here that will help you out, and a few from Ohio.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 3rd, 2013, 7:21 am

Welcome to the forum Jr. First off let me tell you do not use steel shot. Try to use only turkey shells. A buddy of mine accidentally shot a turkey with a steel shot and feathers went everywhere but the turkey went running away. I thought it was hilarious but he lost a good gobbler. Second, put a call on Xmas list and hope someone gets you one. Practice every chance you get. you don't have to sound perfect but close enough to fool them.

As far as where to find turkeys, they can be any where. They will go where ever the food source is. Turkeys will eat pretty much whatever fits in their mouth.
Is it turkey season yet?

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 4th, 2013, 11:54 am

I don't know your age or your build (how big you are) but I think you should consider a 12ga. As long as you can carry it and swing the gun without it feeling awkward, the 12 may be the better gauge for you. A Remington 870 pump capable of handling 3 inch shells could be a good choice. As for recoil, the heavier gun has less felt recoil and you don't have to load the big shells. There are some excellent (lead) 2 3/4" turkey loads out there, Winchester makes a couple and 6 shot is also a good shot size for turkey. The 12ga will also be better for waterfowl and eventually you can grow into using the heavier loads. You will also find a more diverse selection of shells for the 12ga, especially in waterfowl loads but turkey loads too. Again this is based on the assumption that you can comfortably handle a 12ga gun.

When you stated "improved choke" I assume you meant a special choke for turkey and not Improved cylinder choke which is a pretty open choke. You will need to pattern your gun and the full choke that comes with the gun may be good enough to do the job. Patterning can tell you what your max range is for your gun/choke/load combo and also where it is hitting in relation to your point of aim.

"Practical Turkey Hunting Strategies" by Ray Eye is an excellent book for beginning turkey hunters. It has a lot of good info in it and reading the book will give you a better understanding of how to hunt turkeys. The book can be obtained on the used market for probably less than $10 including shipping. Here is a link for the book at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Turkey- ... 1585748757

As for the call...it would be better to get one soon and start practicing with it. Here is a deal for you. I have an old HS Strut slate call and striker I never use. It will produce serviceable yelps, clucks, and purrs. If you want it I will send it to you at no cost. Now I realize giving out personal information on the internet can be something you may not want to do, but if you can come up with an address that I can send it to its yours. A P.O. box or maybe your mom or dads work might work. Just check with your parents first and if its OK with them then PM me the info. Do not send me any info without your parents approval.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 5th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Welcome Jr.!!! :D
Savor and make use of the wisdom and advice, that is shared with you on here. Also, try and get with your local DNR Biologist, and an experienced turkey hunter in your area for pointers and good info.!!
Like Treerooster said, get clearence to share your addy with members here, and then PM it to me. I have a T & TH Camo Turkey Hat I can spare and a box call around here somewhare, to get you off to start with!! I'd be more than happy to send it free of chg.
Best to you, in your quest of hunting those "wily" Toms!! ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Jrhunter25

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 5th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Thank both of you ! This is by far the nicest forum I ever met ! You two are by far the nicest strangers ever ! Again Thank You !!! :D

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 5th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Welcome to the forum Jrhunter25. The 20 will cleanly kill turkeys. I killed 3 turkeys this fall with mine using 3 inch #5 Federal turkey flight control shells through an Improved Cylinder. With the flight control wad I got better patterns using the IC than full or turkey full. Those shells are little more costly but then you don't need to spend $50+ for a turkey choke tube.

Even though I'm late ;) to this provide the new hunter with some turkey gear party I would still like to offer you a Quaker Boy Easy Yelper push button call that has called in its share of toms to the gun. After your parents OK send a PM with the address.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Jrhunter25

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 5th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Thank you guys i don't know what to say... All you guys rock I literally don't know what to say ! :D

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » December 6th, 2013, 12:53 am

Welcome JR, this is the best forum for turkey hunting without a doubt! You will find a wealth of knowledge here from some great turkey hunters. Ask away and you will get a lot of help. Just remember, you will get a lot of advice, and all of it is right, you just have to find what works best for you. One thing that helped me a lot when I first started turkey hunting was watching lots of turkey hunting videos. Now you can watch a lot of them online or if you have any of the outdoors channels you are in business. The biggest thing is to listen to the calling. Now your hunts will probably not go exactly like theirs, as almost none of ours do, but just listening to the cadence of the calls will help you. Also here is a link to listen to turkey sounds. Play them and try and mimic the sounds with your call. http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/calling_tips.html

Good luck and keep asking questions.
Randy
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 6th, 2013, 6:32 am

Jr. .. just looked in my drawers of collectables and found an extra crow call, you can use for locating Toms. I'll get them in the mail today.
Enjoy your learning experiences, and savor the moments, when you succeed, as you'll have earned them ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion