Thanksgiving hunting traditions?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ylpnfol

Re: Thanksgiving hunting traditions?

Postby ylpnfol » November 28th, 2013, 6:48 pm

retranger wrote:David ,,,,, where in va are you? I posted this on D&DH but didn't get much for return info. Hope you have a good day :) :)

I am from Lake Placid NY and working my way south for the winter. At present we are in Middletown Va spending a few days with our son. Driving around the area we have seen many deer beside the road that have apparently been in a confrontation with a vehicle and lost. Picture is of one that had just happened. (two cars and two fellows were standing around it) I was driving north on rt 11 to Winchester and it was on the south bound side. When I returned about half hour later the deer was still there. I have seen many of the same along the road,,,amazed that nobody takes these ,,,,,, most of the ones I have seen do not appear to be that badly damaged and much of the meat would still be good. Are folks not permitted to take them? Shame to let them go to waste.

Well I did go this morn, they weren't where I thought they'd be, but I did find them, tried to get the flock to come, but they weren't playing, probably could have got a bust, but I didn't have a lot of time, so I just let em be, season opens again on Monday for 4 weeks, I'll be there....retranger I'm in goochland county in central va., as for the deer, I think, not 100% sure, you have to call the game dept before you can take the deer, or maybe get ok from po po, if they are called ( it has to be tagged ) I had a friend kill a velvet buck in the late season, it didn't have any testicles :o, so I guess it has something to do w/ hormones.....
David

You never know, unless you go

retranger

Postby retranger » November 28th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Thanks Dave,,,,,,,guess If I come back this way next year I will be a little more prepared. I know of two good deer that were just left there and they didn't look to banged up. The back straps looked good on both if nothing else. Been staying with my son in Middletown. Leaving on Sat to go further south, too cold for me here :lol: :lol:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » November 29th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Too cold for me too, but I have nowhere else to go :evil: , so consider yourself lucky.....safe travels
David

You never know, unless you go

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion