Thanksgiving hunting traditions?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Thanksgiving hunting traditions?

Postby kygobbler » November 25th, 2013, 10:13 pm

When I was a kid my dad and I would go quail hunting every morning on Thanksgiving and then go to my grandmother's for dinner. We don't have the quail population like we use to have and the tradition has done passed to a memory. I miss doing that and I'm going to start a new one by going coyote hunting instead since we have a heavy population of them.

I was wondering if any of you have a hunting tradition before or after your thanksgiving dinners?
Is it turkey season yet?

Steve_In

Re: Thanksgiving hunting traditions?

Postby Steve_In » November 26th, 2013, 9:59 am

I take my soon to be teenage daughter out deer hunting with me. She was 6 when I first took her. The next year she asked me to make it our tradition. She is not really interested in hunting herself but likes to accompany this one day.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 26th, 2013, 3:58 pm

It's been a tradition in our family for years as long as I can remember anyway. We deer hunt until mid morning, then we all get together for turkey with fixin dinner, then head back out hunting for the rest of the day. Since there are only two left in our family that hunt, I plan on going hunting in the morning, then head to the supper club that has the customer appreciation day (all day free food) and then back to the woods to finish the day out. Me and Randy have done that the last couple years.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » November 26th, 2013, 10:15 pm

I have been going turkey hunting in the morn, for a number of years now, then head to my sisters for a traditional thanksgiving day dinner w/ the family..... Just looked at the forecast for thurs morn, no rain, but 24 degrees...... Looks like I'm goin cold turkey..... Huntn :) .... Hope everyone has a great, safe holiday
David

You never know, unless you go

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » November 27th, 2013, 7:08 pm

My Dad and I would get up early and go jump shooting rabbits in the morning then head home for Thanksgiving with all the fixings around noon. It was really great because we could just walk out the back door and be in the fields and along the edge of the woods in about five minutes. We did that from the time I could shoot a 20 gauge and stay upright ( :lol: ) until I married and moved away to start my own family. After that with the addition of grand-kids and long distances in the mix things kind of changed gears. Brings back great memories though ! :D :D
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

retranger

Postby retranger » November 28th, 2013, 8:53 am

David ,,,,, where in va are you? I posted this on D&DH but didn't get much for return info. Hope you have a good day :) :)

I am from Lake Placid NY and working my way south for the winter. At present we are in Middletown Va spending a few days with our son. Driving around the area we have seen many deer beside the road that have apparently been in a confrontation with a vehicle and lost. Picture is of one that had just happened. (two cars and two fellows were standing around it) I was driving north on rt 11 to Winchester and it was on the south bound side. When I returned about half hour later the deer was still there. I have seen many of the same along the road,,,amazed that nobody takes these ,,,,,, most of the ones I have seen do not appear to be that badly damaged and much of the meat would still be good. Are folks not permitted to take them? Shame to let them go to waste.
Attachments
just got hit.jpg
just got hit.jpg (123.51 KiB) Viewed 345 times
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 28th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Well Em and I went out this morning. We made it all the way to 9:15. :D I saw one doe, but she was putting the snake eye on the blind. Checked her out but no horns, it would have been a face shot between 2 trees at about 40-50 yards. With the new to me Marlin I would have tried it. The cold got to Em so we headed out. I had fun and she got to see and hear the doe as she let our presence be known to the whole woods.
I hope all have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 28th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Doug did you look that "buck" over? Looks like it was in velvet and every doe with antlers I have seen has been in velvet.

retranger

Postby retranger » November 28th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Yes it was in velvet, didn't take the time to completely check it out, guess I just assumed it was a male because of the antlers and the neck appears a little large. If it was a doe it was a big one.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow

retranger

Postby retranger » November 28th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Steve_In wrote:I take my soon to be teenage daughter out deer hunting with me. She was 6 when I first took her. The next year she asked me to make it our tradition. She is not really interested in hunting herself but likes to accompany this one day.

Great tradition!! There is more to hunting than downing wildlife Can't beat your outing!! ;) ;)

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion