NY City turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Steve_In

NY City turkeys

Postby Steve_In » November 21st, 2013, 8:40 am

It seems NYC has a turkey problem and they don't know how to deal with them. :lol: Well they do know how but as with everything there are those that want to fight them.
http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newsstory. ... deea6d800a
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: NY City turkeys

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 21st, 2013, 12:14 pm

What Staten Island should of done, since they had a list of thousands of signatures of the people protesting the disposal of the birds, they should of sent them each, the bill for taking care of the problem.The birds were put to good use, feeding the hungry. As hunters we pay for the resoration of game and habitat, a portion of it comes from our license, ammo, guns, ect. sales. The anti's don't pay a penny to gripe about something, and don't get charged for handling the problems the animals that they are protecting cause. Most of them are attention getters and if they had to pay for something, most would keep their damn mouths shut. Yes they have the rights to complain, Freedom of Speach, but if it cost them to take care of a problem, like it dose us, I'm willing to bet the Joe McAllister's of this country wouldn't be flappin their mouths and keep their hands in their pockets when it came to signing protests?
Just my opinion :| .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » November 22nd, 2013, 3:06 pm

I got quite the laugh out of this article for numerous reasons.

1. "It's a horrible thing. You take animals and just kill them? What kind of world are we living in?" says Joe McAllister, a local neighborhood association president who joined dozens of people at an August roadside protest denouncing the slaughters. Online petitions have gathered thousands of signatures.

Either he is a creaking began or he has absolutely no idea where the meat at the grocery store comes from. To me the idea of capturing the turkeys and then feeding them to the patients at the hospital sounds like a great idea. Of course assuming that the meat is safe for human consumption. It is almost such a great idea that I am surprised that the government thought of it.

2. The turkeys were honking along with the cars. Well there you go the reason I haven't gotten a turkey every year is apparently because I wasn't using a goose call. Journalism failure but I should not be surprised because where it came from.

3. So a lot of the people that wanted the grey wolf reintroduced back into Yellowstone and the rockies are now really angry about turkeys, LOL.

4. There was a quote that said something to the affect of "We don't want the turkey slaughtered we just want them to leave us alone". So wait it is ok to push your agenda on everyone else in the country from your high and mighty perch but god forbid anything affect your precious garden or disrupt you.

How many of those proper sit down for Thanksgiving and have a turkey dinner but don't have a clue as to how and where there meat came from.

(Stepping down from soapbox)

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

Postby dewey » November 22nd, 2013, 3:07 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:What Staten Island should of done, since they had a list of thousands of signatures of the people protesting the disposal of the birds, they should of sent them each, the bill for taking care of the problem.The birds were put to good use, feeding the hungry. As hunters we pay for the resoration of game and habitat, a portion of it comes from our license, ammo, guns, ect. sales. The anti's don't pay a penny to gripe about something, and don't get charged for handling the problems the animals that they are protecting cause. Most of them are attention getters and if they had to pay for something, most would keep their damn mouths shut. Yes they have the rights to complain, Freedom of Speach, but if it cost them to take care of a problem, like it dose us, I'm willing to bet the Joe McAllister's of this country wouldn't be flappin their mouths and keep their hands in their pockets when it came to signing protests?
Just my opinion :| .

100% agreed.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » November 22nd, 2013, 6:00 pm

I guess I will step up and try and help. I'm on vacation for two weeks in December and will offer my services on blasting every bird I see up there. I would be like a ninja sneaking through the neighborhood. The only time you will know where I'm at is when you hear the sound of thunder striking down upon the turkey.

I think as turkey hunters we need to help the idiots up there that way they can have their precious gardens and yards look pristine.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do like the idea of having the birds given to people who need it. I hope the idiots up there start understanding why there is hunting seasons. If there was no hunting then there would be more problems like this. Something else that I have gotten from this story is these people have never eaten a wild turkey. If I was in their shoes I would be calling the warden and getting a bunch of tags for nuisance birds. 8-)

retranger

Postby retranger » November 23rd, 2013, 12:06 pm

Yup,,,,saw that on the news. Didn't see any comments from folks in UPSTATE NY and I am not talking the outskirts of NYC. Be lucky you fellows live where you do. Because of the population of NYC they control the WHOLE state. The laws and programs that we local folks have to deal with is ridiculous. We have the APA (Adirondack Park Agency) voted in by NYC and they tell you how much land you need to build your house on, some areas you need more than 10 acres, and then tell you what color it can be. Most New Yorkers would like to take the heal of the boot (NY is shaped like a boot) and have it the 51st state (South NY) It has been introduced in Senate and Assembly but put down by politicians in NYC. Only one example and it goes on and on.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 23rd, 2013, 10:24 pm

It also says the turkeys are a crossbreed. Where did they come from? I know let the protesters PAY for turkey pills so they don't have fertile eggs. Introduce the wolf to Long Island, they freaked out every time a coyote appears.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion