Spring Gobbler Season

shaman

Spring Gobbler Season

Postby shaman » January 9th, 2009, 3:22 am

It's starting late this year. KY's Spring Gobbler Season is due to start on the 18th of April and through 4 weekends.  What do you all think?

Personally, I thought the past few years had seasons that started too early and it took a while for the gobs to warm up, but then we've had some bitter cold Openers too.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

mark hay

RE: Spring Gobbler Season

Postby mark hay » January 10th, 2009, 3:05 am

just read last evening in the local paper that the Ohio Division of Wildlife is proposing several changes in dates, bag limits for the upcoming year. one proposal is to allow ALL DAY hunting , the last 2 weeks of spring turkey season. we currently have a 4 week season , with hunting to cease at noon.
i've hunted turkeys in afternoon and evening during the FALL season, but i'll have to ADJUST and LEARN if we get to spring hunt some late day birds.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 20th, 2009, 1:18 am

I think it's it's really about time for Ohio.  It'll probably take them about 5 years to all the way with all-day hunting.  That's what they did with Sunday hunting.

It was sooo refreshing to come over the bridge and hunt Kentucky-- although I had to put away my 2X6 duplex loads.
ImageImage

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 20th, 2009, 2:19 pm

evening SHAMAN,
i'm ok with extending the hunting hours but if i could pick n choose, i'd rather see them up the bag limit in the fall season.
do you mean that KAINTUCK prohibits duplex loads?
like most folks in ohio , i have a lot of kin in ky. mostly in the southern part. they pretty much have cumberland lake surrounded. would like to go down to hunt the grand bird, just ain't never enough money .

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » February 15th, 2009, 11:57 am

i personally liked the season when it opened on the 15th every year. i don't like how they changed it to open on a weekend. it lets every Tom,Dick, and Harry get out there when they really don't care that much about turkey hunting just wanting something to do until the fish start biting and then deer season. I agree with you though i think season started a little early the last few years.

shaman

Postby shaman » February 17th, 2009, 5:20 am

ORIGINAL: mark hay

evening SHAMAN,
i'm ok with extending the hunting hours but if i could pick n choose, i'd rather see them up the bag limit in the fall season.
do you mean that KAINTUCK prohibits duplex loads?
like most folks in ohio , i have a lot of kin in ky. mostly in the southern part. they pretty much have cumberland lake surrounded. would like to go down to hunt the grand bird, just ain't never enough money .

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

No, they don't prohibit duplex loads, They prohibit shot larger than #4.    4x6 Duplex would be fine.

Where it gets touchy is in the case of Nitro loads.  If you ever pick apart a Nitro loads, they'll have shot sized all over the place. One guy measured it and found  sizes going from 2 all the way down to 9.  Theoretically, a load with #2 shot in it is illegal.  Although I'm not sure if the CO's are going to cut open a shell and check.

KY is pretty good about putting advisories into the rules regarding gray areas. Two I can think of in recent years are the resident requirement and the use of electronic remote control turkey  decoys.  So far, they have not come out with such a advisory about Nitro loads.

If you are worried, you can always talk to the CO.  Mine have always been very forthcoming on how they see the law and what they will and won't cite.
ImageImage

shaman

Postby shaman » February 17th, 2009, 5:31 am

ORIGINAL: MAKEemQUIVER

i personally liked the season when it opened on the 15th every year. i don't like how they changed it to open on a weekend. it lets every Tom,Dick, and Harry get out there when they really don't care that much about turkey hunting just wanting something to do until the fish start biting and then deer season. I agree with you though i think season started a little early the last few years.

As one of the Tom, Dick, and Harrys, I resemble that remark! 

I went a lot of years early on not making a huge commitment to turkeys.  Part of the reason I did not was because the Openers in Ohio were on Mondays and the Openers in KY were mid-week. I was working and I just could not take off. I went the first 10 years not hunting more than a half-day or so per season.

Honestly, I'm happy for the weekend openers. It's easier to take the family. It's easier on the working guy. It's easier for everyone except the die-hards that would have refused the Rapture if it meant missing the Opener. However, I know exactly what you're saying.  Now I have to put up with all the Tom Dick and Harry's that first weekend, but usually that's also a weekend I have one of the kids out with me, and it's not as serious a trip.

We'll see how this year goes.  I always said KY started a week too early and Ohio started a week too late. I guess I'm just a guy who just can't be pleased.
ImageImage

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 4th, 2009, 2:01 pm

I feel you on it never seems like season opens when you want it, haha. I know that it is better that the season opens on a Saturday, especially for kids that like to hunt, but if you knew how many times opening morning gets busted for me by people that only hunt 2to3 times all year you would understand what im saying. I guess i should be thankful that they give up easy. Good luck to you this year, opening day gets a little closer each day.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 13th, 2009, 5:37 am

Now that you mention it, you're right!    I forget that wonderful feeling of having an Opening Day with only the die-hards out, having sent the kids back to town Sunday afternoon. 
ImageImage

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 30th, 2009, 8:09 am

I have to say I'm pretty tickled with the weekend opener.I'm one of the die hards but I have to say I really like the fact I dont have to rush outa camo and into work clothing on the opener anymore.

Ye seasons coming in a few days late.I dont think it'll hurt us much though.Maybe we will escape the cold this year on the opener.I know those Gobs are sounding off good right now in the southeastern side of Ky.

Return to Kentucky