What would you do?

kygobbler

What would you do?

Postby kygobbler » October 28th, 2013, 7:38 pm

I hunted my old honey hole all afternoon. I tried using a few kee kees and some yelps and didn't get any response, which isn't unusual at all. I started thinking where I was going to hunt tomorrow morning and was about to call it the day since it was about fly up time. All of sudden I see one bird fly up to roost 50 yds from me. I turn that direction and wait to see how many more fly up. While I'm waiting I'm watching the bird in the tree to see what it is. I think its a hen but then it turns and gives me a profile look and its a super Jake with about a 5-6" beard. I stay in spot until it gets completely dark and walk out of the woods. He was the only bird I saw or heard fly up. Is it possible he is by himself? I'm trying to determine if I should go back there in the morning and hope to find his daddy or granddaddy or go to another place. I don't want to shoot him because I'm wanting something a little bigger and save him for the spring.

What would you do, go back because there are probably more or go to a different area and try to find a gobbler flock?
Is it turkey season yet?

retranger

Re: What would you do?

Postby retranger » October 29th, 2013, 11:15 am

Seems funny that he was alone. As hens and poults flock together, and Toms and older jakes flock together I would tend to think there were more birds in the area. Unless I knew for sure a different area had toms I think I would go back. :roll: :roll:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 30th, 2013, 11:11 am

I wasn't able to go hunting yesterday but I went this morning and setup close to where I saw the gobbler flew up the day before. It was raining when I first entered the woods but quit after a few minutes. Like I always do when I setup that morning I see something that looked like a bird in the tree. When the daylight starts lighting up a little a noticed it wasn't but I need notice a bird right in front of me at 20 yards. I slowly put my gun on my knee and ready to stay still. As I'm watching the bird I notice it is a hen after she starts moving around. Then I notice another bird in the same tree and its a young jake.

Its about 7 o'clock, and the sun is up and the birds are not saying a word? Then I notice three more birds in another tree at my 11 o'clock position. By this time my butt is hurting me from not moving and I have a mosquito buzzing by my ear and plucking my nerves. I'm ready for something to happen. The birds finally start doing some soft tree yelping. Then out of nowhere here comes a bird flying right at me from my 2 o'clock and lands no more than 10 yards from me. Its a mature gobbler! :o :D When he lands he takes a couple of steps away from me and stops. I slowly turn my gun towards him and BOOM, ballgame. Birds go in every direction but I didn't really notice what they are were since I got what I came for.

My daughter asked me to get her a big gobbler and I'm happy that I was able to succeed for her. I sent a picture of it to my wife and she was able to show her before she went to school and she was ecstatic. That there made my day. The bird weighed about 21 lbs, 10.25" beard, 1 1/16" spurs.

a gobbler1 Oct 30.jpg
a gobbler1 Oct 30.jpg (176.36 KiB) Viewed 571 times

a gobbler spurs Oct 30.jpg
a gobbler spurs Oct 30.jpg (408.91 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Is it turkey season yet?

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » October 30th, 2013, 11:26 am

Congrats on the hunt and a wonderful fall gobbler!

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 30th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Great job on a wise and tactful hunt.

I just got home from your wonderful state and boy hunting was tough. Oddly I faced almost the same scenario and had birds fly up right in front of me Monday night and i waited until dark and moved out (not part of my plan to stumble out in the dark). We were back Tuesday and I went low right above the roost and my buddy covered the high drain. When light came I discovered a gobbler roosted right in front of me. They too did not call until well after light. The old boy even gobbled once. I waited in agony as you know waiting for birds to come down. Finally a bird from my right pitches down about 50 yards in front of me. I wait for my long beard and he finally pitches down, but 75 yards up hill and then all the birds fly right to him. It's a young gobbler group. They head up the hill right to ole boss and head up hill to my buddy who was calling ealier. Wouldn't you know he hasn't heard them and quit calling and then a bird opens up to my left and the whole group swings that way splitting our set ups. we followed them around for two hrs with no luck. Today the skies opened up and we didn't get in the woods until 11:00 and had to head home by 3:00 PM. We found one small group of birds that we couldn't turn and left them to head home. Maybe we can get back in the December segment. We coverd miles of ground and my buddies down there both hunted hard and found very few birds. It seems the population in that area has really fell off the last two to three years.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

ads1

Postby ads1 » December 16th, 2013, 5:06 pm

I hadn't seen your post. Nice bird! Did you shoot any other birds. I didn't get a gobbler this fall, but got a hen in WI and one in Illinois.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 16th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Ads1, last week was our last week of shotgun season. I was able to hunt 3 days. Everyday I saw the same flock of about 110 birds. They stayed on a piece of property that I didn't have permission to hunt. Its aggravating watching that many birds for hours and not being able to play with them.

On the last day, I was watching and listening the flock graze over a winter wheat field. Then I noticed two birds that had stayed behind. I decided to try and get those two birds to come to me. They were at least 250 yds away and I did some soft yelps and they answered. After a few minutes of this they started my way. They got within 100 yds and on a high spot so they could see. I did some soft calling to get them to come closer but it didn't work and they went back. If I had a hen decoy up they might have come closer but who knows. That's the way it goes sometimes.

I'm off again this week and I'm going to TRY and stick an arrow in one. :lol:
Is it turkey season yet?

ads1

Postby ads1 » December 16th, 2013, 8:36 pm

That would be fantastic to see 110 birds in one group. A decoy bird might help, but who knows. Might try and get permission from landowner???? :D Sounds like you have had a great season. I think I will go out with a crossbow this week. The gobblers are back with the hens now.

Terry

Return to Kentucky