Ohio Fall 2013 Opens

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

Re: Ohio Fall 2013 Opens

Postby eggshell » October 23rd, 2013, 8:37 am

Sometimes things just go right. My hunting buddy got stuck working for the first week of our fall season and today would be his first chance to go. So we planned on a hunt. Last night on my way to work i saw a flock of birds in a picked corn field on a farm I know he can hunt. So I called and left him a message to call the farmer. We met at 6:30 this morning to pouring rain and sleet. We sat in the truck for 45 minutes and it let up just about day break. we put on rain gear and headed to the point above where i saw the birds. At the first call we got a reply cluck. We moved closer and dug in knowing the birds would be reluctant to come off the roost. After about a half hour of back and forth calling I done a couple mock fly downs and started a series of challenge clucks and hard purrs. we had already heard a gobbler, so knew what we were calling to. I got an emediate hollow cluck and a string of course yelps. I poured it right back and dared that ole boy to show his arse. Sure enough I see movement and here they come. A nice gobbler in the lead and a pack of super jakes close behind. They swung around and put a log between my buddy and them, but marching straight at me. I was nervous they'd bust me before he could shoot. Finally the lead bird cleared the log at 15 yards and John nailed him. A nice 20 pound two year old. The jakes all scattered and while John tagged his bird started callliing so we decided to play. within 20 minutes we had called three of the gobblers back in and decided we'd had enough fun....If only i'd had a tag, but (sigh) I had already filled my tag. All and all a really fun morning. Now we're off to Ky next week.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 23rd, 2013, 11:34 pm

Sounds like a fun morning Dana. Good luck in Ky.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 24th, 2013, 10:09 am

To me, that is one of the best times to hunt is after it rains all night and stops right before the crack of dawn. Seems like the birds are always more talkative in that situation. Glad to hear that your buddy got a bird and wish ya the best of luck down here in the bluegrass state.
Is it turkey season yet?

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » October 24th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Sounds like a great hunt Dana, congrats :D

dewey

Postby dewey » October 25th, 2013, 1:19 am

Congratulations on the hunt Dana and good luck in KY.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting