Banded Game

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Hookspur

Banded Game

Postby Hookspur » October 20th, 2013, 10:46 am

Ever since I first helped my Dad band ducks as a kid, I've been fascinated with bird bands. The biologists who came up with that idea were brilliant, because it's such a great way to learn about avian life, their travels, and patterns! Then, as hunters, when we're lucky enough to take a banded bird (or mammal) during our outings, it somehow adds an extra spice to an already thrilling experience, and gives us a physical piece of jewelry to remind us of the hunt and honor the fallen prey. Not that those animals which were banded are any more special than the others we take, but it's just really exciting to look at them "in-hand" and see that they've been captured and banded at an earlier time. When we later receive the data back from the banding agency, it feels like we've been a part of that creature's life, and it feels good. I've been very lucky in my hunting career to take a number of banded birds, so I'm going to list them here and hope others will share their successes, too.

1 Banded Dove - banded and shot near the same location in Kentucky.

1 Banded Pheasant - I didn't kill him, but found his carcass while turkey hunting in Oklahoma.

5 Banded Ducks - all Mallards and all shot in Indiana, but I can't remember or find their paperwork of where they were banded. I know one was banded in KY and another in Georgia, and seems like another was from Saskatchewan.

8 Banded Canada Geese (3 wore colored plastic collars, too) - all shot in Indiana, and at least 3 were banded within a few miles of where they were killed. 1 came from up around the Labrador Bay, and at least 1 other was from Canada The paperwork is somewhere!

5 Banded Turkeys - 3 Rio Grandes shot in Oklahoma, 1 Osceola from Florida which also sported numbered wing tags and a radio pack, and a double-banded Tom from Delaware.

Ok, let's hear your stories......
Last edited by Hookspur on October 21st, 2013, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Banded Game

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 20th, 2013, 4:12 pm

1 banded pheasant--banded with in 10 miles of where it was killed.
4 banded ducks--1 from KY, 3 from Canada.
2 taged bear-- 1 from WI, 1 from upper MI.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » October 21st, 2013, 6:29 am

29 Bands on ducks & geese, w/2 collars. I red, a James Bay goose and 1 green, a local Michigan resident goose. I'd have to look at the records to give a breakdown ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » October 21st, 2013, 6:41 pm

I've not been so lucky.

1-banded Mallard Drake which I found out was 12 years old shot and banded in Minnesota.

1-banded Ocellated turkey.

1-ear tagged elk.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion