Turkey Doggin

WillowRidgeCalls

Turkey Doggin

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 18th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Well back from our turkey dogging trip with charlie. What a blast!!! If you guys ever get a chance to do it, try it, you won't be sorry :D . We had crummy weather for the 3 days, wind, rain and semi clear afternoon. Weds was windy and light rain, birds were not talking, and we had trouble finding fresh sign, so we grouse hunted weds afternoon and had good luck (well charlie, I had a case of the misses) doing that in the rain. Thur (only day the sun shined) morning we found fresh turkey sign, but couldn't find the birds. The afternoon we split up and I went back to the area where we found the fresh sign, and charlie and Vic desided to circle that area and meet back up at my truck at the end of the day. I was about a 1/4 mile up the road and was doing some cold calling from that area, charlie and Vic went in down the road and was circling back to me. We never did meet up, we both got into birds. Charlie got into a mixed flock of gobblers, hens, poults (I'll let charlie tell you his story), I got into a gobbler flock. I told charlie to signal me when he got to the road and I'd come out and give him a ride back to his truck. I was doing some tongue calling and after a couple of hours I hear a couple of yelps then nothing, but my youngest setter starts barking up a storm in the truck so I figured it was Vic and charlie back at the truck, so I packed up and headed out. Got back to the truck and no charlie, hmmmmmmm, put my stuff in and waited a few and still no charlie? Got in the truck and went down to see if charlie walked back down to his truck instead of waiting? No charlie, drove back up to the hayfield and got out and waited. Got my tongue call back out and gave a few yelps. The woods exploded with gobbles, raspy yelps and kee kees, Damn :x how I got back to the truck across an open hayfield without them seeing me is beyond me? I kept working them and they were getting close to coming out into the field again and Billy started going nuts again, he could see them but I couldn't. Well screwed that hunt up :P . Left them alone and headed back down to charlie's truck and in a few charlie and Vic came back out, and said we never made it around to your side we hit birds just back in a little ways (charlie will tell you about it :P ). Today we had Randy join us for the hunt and he hasn't taken a fall bird yet so he was our shooter. We headed back to charlie's birds because it was a mixed flock and a lot more birds to work. Vic made the bust and we set up, shortly after it started raining again and kept the birds quiet, it may have been the a couple of gobs that he busted also? We worked our calls for about an hour, but nothing showed or sounded back. It was lunch time by then so we headed to eat before charlie headed home. Me and Randy headed back to camp and made it just a few miles when a flock of hens crossed the road in front of us into the public. We headed around the corner and got out and headed in and set up and called. They called back, but headed into a deep hollow out of the rain and wind and wouldn't come our way, we headed into the hollow and set back up and called, didn't get an answer, we may have bumped them or they weren't interested in joining up? It was an enjoyable 3 days of hunting and turkey doggin and talking turkey, fishing and what ever. If you ever get a chance to try it guys, DO IT, you'll enjoy it!!!!! Charlie got a good chance to try his tongue teaser out, and *Thanks Again* for the chance to try turkey doggin Charlie, we will do this again.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Re: Turkey Doggin

Postby charlie elk » October 20th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Thanks for the good time, hunt and Tongue Teaser call Willowridge Vic and I enjoyed hunting with very much and look forward to our next hunt.
The area Vic and I moved into while Willow went around the other side looked to be some possibly tough ground to cross according my GPS' map. There would be 3 streams and some bogs that would separate us. After crossing the first stream and going up a little rise we found an inviting white pine stand containing large trees with sturdy lateral branches; you know the kind turkeys gravitate to. Off to the south a faint kee kee so Vic and I setup against on of those massive white pines facing south. Vic is on my right in a little depression to help hide his wiggles and his lead is clipped to my vest. Expecting a possible turkey from the south this setup made sense as we got started.
I had been itching to try the Willowridge Tongue Teaser call on out on some real turkeys, after practicing with it and discovering its versatility with incredibility realistic turkey talk I expected great results. But even with that I was not prepared for what was about to unfold...
Allowing the woods to settle for a few minutes I let out the first series of calls - kee kees, assembly yelps, lost yelps, where are you clucks and I'm over here clucks. With the Tongue Teaser these can be done quickly and without hesitation. I am a hunter who believes in calling a lot. The woods exploded with answering turkeys all around and all heading for us. My first mistake was cockily grinning thinking a turkey is going to be in the bag soon. I continued to engage the turkeys in conversation and soon realized the turkeys were circling in to my right side (not good) and behind me (double not good). I cursed having setup against such a large tree that I could not turn in order to see the turkeys who sounded less than 10 yds away. Did I mention Vic certainly saw them at least judging by his quivering body and low whines saying "pleeeease let me go get em if you not going to shoot." Oh I wanted to shoot alright, but there was no way I could roll around to the left as Vic is tied to me from the right and I could not rollover on Vic. I kept calling on the Tongue Teaser in the vain hope the turkeys would walk past us. Well they saw Vic and heard Vic and alarm putted as they retreated. So I alarm putted hoping to "throw" the sound in the opposite direction as I changed into assembly yelps. The turkeys came back and this is after seeing Vic. They stood off somewhere around 10-15 yds clucking at us. I had turned, my gun is up but I can't see them in the low ground brush so I flipped up my headnet, still could not see them. Maddeningly they continued clucking and yelping while clearly in easy range if I could just see a head. I'm still playing the Tongue Teaser which is on the ground between Vic and I.
At this point Vic is so worked up quivering his lips are clapping against his teeth and the turkeys have had enough and leave again. I am certain this time they saw and heard the both of us.
After taking a few minutes to calm Vic and reposition a little for better shooting I start calling again. Dam that's a good call the turkeys promptly start returning only from my new right which have been my old left, if only I hadn't repositioned! Now I have the same pickle only on the reverse side. This time I saw the birds, a mixed flock all together just trying to help this lone lost crazy turkey stuck to a pine tree with a dog.
My head is turned looking at a bunch of turkeys, necks in the ready to be shot position. Vic is between me and the turkeys, my arm is holding him down if I were to let go to shoot he would surely be up in the way. Vic has now experienced more in close turkeys without any shooting than he has either seen.
It's getting late, Willow is surely wondering and waiting for us, I release Vic commanding get em. Turkeys panic scatter as Vic charges...
"bust em at night and kill em in the morning"
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 21st, 2013, 9:34 am

I spoke with Randy last night and he went back to the gobbler flock I was working Sunday morning. They were roosted by the creek on the end of the pines where we found all the scratchings. He said they were on fire in the trees, gobbling, yelping and just talking up a storm as they hit the ground about 7:30. He worked them with his turpin and pot call and got them to head his direction, but couldn't close the deal, they got to with in 50 yards of him and wouldn't come through the little pines where he was set up in. He said there were about 8-9 birds of mixed sizes in that flock. He gobbled, yelped, clucked, kee kee'd and even ran some fighting purrs, but they only stood and looked and wouldn't come closer. Then they moved off down towards the creek and into the high grasses.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

putt

Postby putt » October 21st, 2013, 2:39 pm

Great hunt stories, Scott & Charlie. Oftentimes the most memorable hunts don't end with a turkey over your shoulder.

After seeing the "tongue teaser" call mentioned 8 times in your initial two posts, I gotta ask ... what kind of call is it? More details please. Have you finally mechanically perfected Charlies "boink" call?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 21st, 2013, 5:19 pm

The calls are better discribed in the call makers section. I'm not sure if I've profected it or not, but charlie can produce the Boink Call with his tongue teaser and taught me how to friday night after the hunt.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » October 23rd, 2013, 10:24 am

Sounds like you guys had a great hunt!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Wisconsin