Fall chatter

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
dewey

Re: Fall chatter

Postby dewey » October 10th, 2013, 9:42 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Have been out a few times in WI so far this year, it has been pretty slow so far in general. Birds have been quiet most of the day and not in much of a rush to join up in larger flocks. This will change as we get further into the fall. Did bag a nice gobbler this past week. Got set up on a roost site in the dark I figured a gobbler group i had seen in the area was using. About 15 minutes after first light a couple gobblers began tree yelping from various locations about 30-40 yards away. After a few minutes of yelping back and forth between me and the roosted birds I was startled by a gobbler flying out of a tree less than 15 yards from the one I was seated at. He never made a peep and hit the ground walking away at a decent pace. My gun was pointed the other direction and I couldn't get it swung over in time to take a shot. No matter as there were still 3-4 birds talking in the trees. I managed to get one roosted about 40 yards from my tree fairly worked up, I could see him bouncing around in the branches, and he eventually flew down towards me and landed behind a tree about 20 yards away. He made a couple clucks and took 5 or 6 steps before I had a clear shot and put him down. Was a nice older gobbler, 12" beard, with 2 broken spurs and a bit small for a WI bird in the fall, only 18 lbs or so. I figured he was an old bird on his way out. Was a great morning in the woods, got to hear some nice gobbler talk and it's always fun being in super close on a roost site as the birds wake up.

Congratulations on the gobbler Gopher!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

hawglips

Postby hawglips » October 11th, 2013, 9:08 am

kygobbler wrote:Just play it by ear hawglips. One fall I thought I knew where the birds were at and when I got there of course they weren't there. Then all of a sudden a squirrel started barking like crazy. I look in that direction and see a bunch of turkeys fly up in one tree about 100 yards away. I started calling and got the boss hen fired up. She flew down and brought the whole gang right to my lap. To this day I don't know what spooked the birds to fly up in the tree but I'm sure glad that they did.

I know a lot of people like to bust them and call them back in. I will do that sometimes but I get a bigger kick of trying to call them in without busting. I hope you have fun this fall and I hope you like it as much or more as the spring season.

Yeah, I usually try to call them in without busting them up -- probably mostly because busting them up is often easier said than done. Plus, like you say, it's a blast. But it's a heck of a lot easier (in my experience) to call in a busted up group. And if I bust one up, there's no way I would wait for them to start up before I started calling, since it goes against my instincts. But that's why I'm asking - so many folks do it that way (wait for them to call first), I figure there has to be a reason for it somewhere along the line.... Or maybe it's just another one of those "call sparingly" sort of truisms so prevalent?

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » October 11th, 2013, 7:04 pm

I guess for me one of the reason ( besides it being successfull for me ) that I wait for them to call is that if they do begin to call it gives me the idea that I had a good bust. A lot of the times when I get a bust they go in the same direction and then I don't hear any lost calling probably because it was easier for them to regroup without too much calling. I have only been fall hunting for about 6 or 7 years and the only time I was successfull in calling a bird by just calling was one early october morning my first year and I did some hen calls and 2 toms flew down off the roost and landed right in my lap strutting and all just like it was spring. That has never occurred again though. :cry:

retranger

Postby retranger » October 12th, 2013, 7:55 am

I am not a real fall hunter but I always thought that if I was close enough to get a good bust on a flock that I was close enough to shoot one!!! :lol: :lol:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » October 12th, 2013, 9:53 am

retranger wrote:I am not a real fall hunter but I always thought that if I was close enough to get a good bust on a flock that I was close enough to shoot one!!! :lol: :lol:

yes indeedy, that's one way to do it ;)
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » October 15th, 2013, 8:51 am

hawglips wrote:And if I bust one up, there's no way I would wait for them to start up before I started calling, since it goes against my instincts. But that's why I'm asking - so many folks do it that way (wait for them to call first), I figure there has to be a reason for it somewhere along the line..

As with most things turkey hunting this is a depends on...
If the turkeys bust and stay close by it is best to wait for them to call before calling: The turkeys calling is the best indicator of when their fear has passed and they're looking for each other to group up. If you call too soon in this situation the turkeys are still fearful and on high alert, so you would sound unnatural from a timing standpoint.
If the turkeys bust and fly off a long way it is best call sooner as they will begin calling to flock up out of your hearing range. By calling sooner in this situation, hopefully, you'll sound like a straggler and few turkeys will peel off from the main group to come back and help. Perhaps even the boss hen and unless you desire to kill her it is best to chase her off and then assembly call.
In the case of scattering gobblers it is best to wait for the woods to settle down and then start challenging them.
In case of scattering jake gangs, setup and call right away. These jake gangs are the most fun.
Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » October 16th, 2013, 2:03 pm

charlie elk wrote:
hawglips wrote:And if I bust one up, there's no way I would wait for them to start up before I started calling, since it goes against my instincts. But that's why I'm asking - so many folks do it that way (wait for them to call first), I figure there has to be a reason for it somewhere along the line..

As with most things turkey hunting this is a depends on...
If the turkeys bust and stay close by it is best to wait for them to call before calling: The turkeys calling is the best indicator of when their fear has passed and they're looking for each other to group up. If you call too soon in this situation the turkeys are still fearful and on high alert, so you would sound unnatural from a timing standpoint.

charlie elk wrote:If the turkeys bust and fly off a long way it is best call sooner as they will begin calling to flock up out of your hearing range. By calling sooner in this situation, hopefully, you'll sound like a straggler and few turkeys will peel off from the main group to come back and help. Perhaps even the boss hen and unless you desire to kill her it is best to chase her off and then assembly call.

charlie elk wrote:In the case of scattering gobblers it is best to wait for the woods to settle down and then start challenging them.
In case of scattering jake gangs, setup and call right away. These jake gangs are the most fun.
Good hunting.

Thanks for this explanation of why you call when Charlie.

The only times (can count on one hand) I've ever made a good bust, I started calling first (avg 15 minutes later maybe) and each time, a turkey came in fairly quickly once I started calling. And more were coming to me after that. In each case, I never heard another turkey calling until they were answering me, and I'm glad I did it that way. It would be very hard for me to wait till the turkeys started calling to each other, since it goes against my grain to intentionally allow them to get focused on another turkey instead of on me. It seems to me that minimizing the competition ought to be a good thing.

In some areas I hunt, there are deer hunters around running dogs, and very often, the deer dogs disturb and "bust up" the turkeys. In that scenario, I've noticed that letting things totally settle down a good while after the dogs and hunters are long gone is a good way to go. To me, the turkeys seem on edge more then normal when deer dogs are around. I've even left the area totally for a few hours and came back later, and successfully called some back in. But that was in an area they had roosted in the night before, and perhaps it had more to do with the roost than anything else.

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting