Ohio Fall 2013 Opens

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

Ohio Fall 2013 Opens

Postby eggshell » October 14th, 2013, 5:18 am

Well today is the opener for fall season here in Ohio. I haven't scouted any and have only seen a few poult groups. I think we had an average hatch, but I am hunting gobblers for the first few days. Since we only get one tag I usually hold for a gobbler for the first few hunts just so I won't tag out too quick. One year I still tagged a gobbler in the first hour of season antd I will this morning if one shows up, but my hopes are to find a family flock or two and play with them and maybe locate a gobbler group to chase from here on. Good luck to any other buckeye fall hunters. In two weeks I go to Ky for their first gun season then I'll hunt any turkey I can. since I'll only have three days.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Ohio Fall 2013 Opens

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 14th, 2013, 9:32 am

Good luck Dana, hope you get to at least hear some birds today ;) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 15th, 2013, 5:12 am

Day one was a good walk in the woods and that is about it. I saw zero turkeys and heard one or two short series of yelps. That was mostly public ground today I'm going to the family tree farm or in other words, "my honey hole".

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 15th, 2013, 6:28 am

Good luck Dana. I hope you get a limbhanger.
Is it turkey season yet?

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » October 16th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Went Monday evening, didn't see/hear a thing. Boy, was it a beautiful day to be in the woods!

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 17th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Well it's been four days of tough hunting. The first two days I never saw a turkey and heard maybe three yelps or a cluck, but not sure. Wednesday I finally saw some birds, but one old hen had three small poults and I passed. Then I spotted a old longbeard in a pasture and tried to lure him onto property I could hunt, but no go. so I went back today and heard nothing there. I decided to return to the only area I had seen any apprecable sign. I eased into the area and through a couple hards locator clucks followed by a whine and received three sharp clucks back. I moved closer and got a series of yelps in response. I could tell after a couple replies the birds were moving up hill. After two hours of cat and mouse I dropped back below them to my original set up and decided to go for broke. I shot the awefullest commotion of hard clucks and challenge purrs followed by a string of hard yelps up the hill i could muster. I got a hard cluck and single yelp back. I decided to sit for an hour then bail. After 15 minutes I heard some sharp calls just above me, like a couple birds spiring, so I cut right back with a sahrp whine and purr. Two minutes later I see movement and here comes a hen on a march down the bank. she was being followed by a flock. They fed around, but this hen just kept looking. Finally they were all in sight and there was 11 adults hens and four poults (pretty sad sight). So I whined and here come ole bossy. I decided it had been a good hunt and with the way season had been I decided to take her. So I didn't get a gobbler, but I've seen seasons like this before and am happy to tag this hen. She's in the crock pot and we'll make casarole tonight.
Attachments
IMG_0030 [1600x1200].JPG
IMG_0030 [1600x1200].JPG (119.68 KiB) Viewed 506 times

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 17th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Nice job Dana. Sounds like you had a fun day in the woods. I hope the casserole taste great.
Is it turkey season yet?

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » October 18th, 2013, 7:24 am

congrats on a great hunt!

hawglips

Postby hawglips » October 18th, 2013, 9:58 am

Sounds like you had a blast! Congratulations!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 18th, 2013, 6:27 pm

;) Congrats on the old bossy hen Dana.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Fall Hunting