Todays Talk

WillowRidgeCalls

Todays Talk

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 8th, 2013, 8:56 pm

Well I ran into that lone bird again yesterday as I was walking in. I beleive it's the same lone bird I flushed out of it's roost on opening weekend, but hadn't seen or heard it since then. Yesterday when I rounded the corner on the old road it took off running down the road ahead of me and by the time I got around the corner to see clear all I saw was it's butt disappear into the woods, so I still wasn't sure what it was? Today I set up in the same area where I've seen it twice and started sending out every call sequence I could, trying to get a responce. After about an hour of calling I hear a lone gobble in the hollow in the woods, so I moved up to the end of the hollow, so I could cover as much as I could. I set up there and sent out a few jake yelps and gobbles, nothing? Worked that bird for about 2 hours, with no responces, thought did I spook him when I moved? Desided to give him a little while longer,and changed my calling sequences from a jake/gobbler back to hen talk and went back to my slate call, still nothing. Grabbed my tongue teaser and ran a few keekees, I hadn't run more than two kees and he sounded off behind me from where I moved from, it took that bird 2-1/2 hours to move a 100 yards. I could hear him walking on the leaves as he circled me on the road, which I could no longer see from moving :x , the woods is still too thick to see through and with the wind blowing all the brush around I couldn't pick up any movement, could hear him walking in the leaves and deep clucking, but never seen him. I worked him about another half hour and he vanished, not sure where he went, he never said another word that I could hear, must be a ghost bird? I'll be back after his butt in the morning and maybe find where he's holding up and roosting? Unit 2 has been tough so far this year, and with only 1 tag for it I'm being picky :) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Re: Todays Talk

Postby eggshell » October 9th, 2013, 11:43 am

Keep after him Scott. That makes for some fun fall hunting when you have a predetermined duel going. I understand the single tag scenario, as we only get one tag for fall here in Ohio. So I set aside the first week to ten days of most years to hunt gobblers only. It get's me more time in the woods and more fun talking turkey. although there have been a couple seasons I bagged a gobbler right off the bat, it usually takes a few trips. If I wanted to tag just a turkey it would be a short season most years. It's way too much fun to just shoot the first bird that shows up. I especially like finding an old bachelor bird or a gobbler group and work on them until i fool one. Now when I go down to Kentucky and only have three days, then I'm just turkey hunting. still then, i won't intentional shoot young hen poults. Adult hens, jake poults and gobblers are fair game though.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » October 9th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Very nice battle, Scott. Always amazes me when a bird knows where the initial call came from some time later. Good luck with him!

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » October 9th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Sounds like a good time in the woods as usual Scott, Keep after him I'm sure you'll get him :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Well hunted most of the day today, and didn't hear or see a thing :? . What got me wondering is where the groups of birds went that I scouted, and why is this Gob by himself, and dosen't seem real interested in joining up with other birds? I've yet to see another hunter in that area since season started and the crop fields are all the same as they've been the last couple of years, there is a half picked wheat field about a mile down the road, but I haven't seen a bird in it all fall, so where did they go? They have to be hiding someplace around there, but so far it's got me stumped. I haven't found any sign of deer or turkeys around there other than that lone bird, so something has changed, but what? I do enjoy the one on one pursuit with that bird, it's testing my skills to the max, it's fun to see who will win? My guess is that's it's an old bird that refuses to leave his home territory, but it's a fun challenge and keeps me shaking my bag of tricks to see if I can fool him :?:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » October 10th, 2013, 10:28 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Well hunted most of the day today, and didn't hear or see a thing :? . What got me wondering is where the groups of birds went that I scouted, and why is this Gob by himself, and dosen't seem real interested in joining up with other birds? I've yet to see another hunter in that area since season started and the crop fields are all the same as they've been the last couple of years, there is a half picked wheat field about a mile down the road, but I haven't seen a bird in it all fall, so where did they go? They have to be hiding someplace around there, but so far it's got me stumped. I haven't found any sign of deer or turkeys around there other than that lone bird, so something has changed, but what? I do enjoy the one on one pursuit with that bird, it's testing my skills to the max, it's fun to see who will win? My guess is that's it's an old bird that refuses to leave his home territory, but it's a fun challenge and keeps me shaking my bag of tricks to see if I can fool him :?:

Sounds like our spring season this year on a couple of areas. Saw plenty of birds 2 weeks before season, but during season zero tracks, droppings, molted feathers, no roosting, no turkey talk (hens/gobs). Just plain empty :x Thought a "Sharknado" came through the areas and cleaned up the birds! No word or evidence of trespassers. No unusual amount of coyote sign, but did see one bobcat track. Probably just bad luck.

A hunting buddy experienced the same thing, but took one on the extreme edge of the woods on the last day. Birds were off our permission land the whole season.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 10th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Hang in there Scott, I have no doubt that you will get that bird. Did you try using multiple calls at one time? I have had good luck in the fall sounding like multiple birds but that is usually my hail Mary if I'm not seeing any and I know there there.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 11th, 2013, 8:36 am

Could have filled my tag yesterday afternoon, but didn't. I had just walked in and was setting up to try to fool that ghost bird again that's been giving me fits. I had just sat down on my cushion and was getting my calls out and had just finished surfacing them up for the challenge. I looked up and he walked out into a small opening about 10 yards away. I eased my gun up and clicked the safety off, drew a bead on his noggin and thought nahhhh, too easy hadn't even made a call. I enjoy the challenge of the sport more than the kill, and you don't learn anything from an easy kill, no sport in that. All I said was BANG and he turned and looked at me for a while then just walked back into the thickness of his cover. He looked like a good bird with about a 10/11 inch beard and had some good spur length on him, but at least now I know for sure that he's not a ghost. I gave him some time to disappear and packed up my stuff and headed to a new area to see if I could locate another bird to fool. I had went back in about a mile to an area that I don't hunt much and set back up again. I started calling and in a short time got a responce, I worked that bird for about an hour until she finally showed up, but again she was a lone bird, one of the biggest hens I've ever seen. Not sure what's going on in that area and why I'm only finding lone birds, no family flocks or groups of gobblers just a few stragglers? Got a tip from one of the land owners about a new piece of land that just became public in that area, so I'll check it out this afternoon to see what it looks like, if it doesn't rain me out? The hunt continues!!
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » October 11th, 2013, 7:27 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote: I looked up and he walked out into a small opening about 10 yards away. I eased my gun up and clicked the safety off, drew a bead on his noggin and thought nahhhh, too easy hadn't even made a call. I enjoy the challenge of the sport more than the kill, and you don't learn anything from an easy kill, no sport in that. All I said was BANG and he turned and looked at me for a while then just walked back into the thickness of his cover.

You've got a lot more self control than me Scott, that boy would have been getting a ride in the truck for sure. Turkey hunting's hard enough without passing on the gimmees :lol:

Of course, I've got more than one tag for the fall so I don't have to worry about my season being over when I shoot one.

dewey

Postby dewey » October 11th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Like Gopher said you have way more self control than I do. He would have been eating a face full of #4's.

Good luck chasing him Scott. Make sure to post a picture of him when you get him.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Wisconsin