Fall chatter

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Steve_In

Re: Fall chatter

Postby Steve_In » October 4th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Indiana opens in 2 weeks. Been doing a little scouting while squirrel hunting and things look good.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » October 5th, 2013, 3:56 pm

ads1 wrote:I had a chance to get into the woods on opening day of bow season. It was hot and dry and I was soaking wet from sweat by the time I got to my setup. There were at laest 20 birds roosted, some not more than 30 yards from me. I used a small red filter light to walk in and it didn't seem to bother the birds. A few young birds flew down at daybreak and made a lot of noise. I thought I could call one to me since they would respond to my yelps and kee kees but the majority of the birds walked away from me. Two birds came my way. One bird was too far away for a shot and the other bird came in silent and spotted me before I could do anything. Two things were interesting: first the young birds were whining constantly until all the birds flew down. This lasted for at least 60 minutes. Secondly the birds stayed on the roost a long time and it was at least 8 am before all (at least I thought it was all of the birds) of the birds flew down. Then within 20 minutes it was quite in the woods. I get up to head out and Two additional birds fly off their roost. I came close but couldn't close the gap. Still a lot of foliage in the woods and it is difficult to see the birds. Eventhough I didn't get my bird it was so much fun to hear the birds talk. I thought they would come to the acorns and to where I was set up, but in hindsight I realize that because it was so hot and dry the birds were probably going to a water source. There is no water in the creek bottoms where they were roosted. If I had a shotgun I could have nailed a bird, but with a crossbow I was not confident or skilled enough to take a shot. I haven't been back to these birds. Need to develop a strategy on what to do. When you have to walk in over a half mile and it is not easy walking, then you realize you need to come in from a different direction and the terrain is even more difficult, makes me a little hesitant. Last spring the birds were flying into an open field, but it is planted to corn and the birds are not flying there. I believe they come to the corn in the afternoon. I see droppings and feathers and dust spots along the edge of the corn field so the late morning and afternoon may be the best time to hunt this side. Both mornings the birds have flown the same direction off the roost toward a water source. I am hoping the corn is harvested by the start of gun season. That will make for more opportunities. That's my story. Any comments?

If I were you and the birds are staying that long on the roost I would try and bust them off their roost early and see if they will go in different directions instead of all the same way. If you can bust them good out off the roost then just get set up and wait until you hear them calling on the ground trying to regroup and start your calling to them. If you hear mama calling cut her off and imitate her. She may come to run you off or at least some of the young birds may come to you. This has worked well for me in the fall.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » October 6th, 2013, 9:15 am

Tomorrow was supposed to be my first hunt of the season, but we're going to get some much needed rain ( believe it or not, hasn't rained in a couple weeks, and been hot ) tues looks like my opener, congrats gopher on your gobbler ( the grand prize in fall ) good luck to everyone that hits the woods this week, I see some trophy tenderloins in my future..... ;)
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » October 6th, 2013, 9:50 am

fired up for my first trip to the fall turkey woods tomorrow!
missed opening week of the archery season due to vacation, but was able to talk the wife into moving up our trip to avoid conflicting with firearm turkey season near the end of the month like it has the past few years. so i score that a big win. :lol:

and ... congrats on a nice bird, gopher.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » October 9th, 2013, 10:12 am

timbrhuntr wrote: ... get set up and wait until you hear them calling on the ground trying to regroup and start your calling to them...

This seems to be what most folks do, because it's repeated a lot. Not being all that experienced in fall hunting, I am curious - why is it advisable to wait until you hear them calling to each other before starting to call to them?

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » October 9th, 2013, 2:43 pm

imo, that just gives them time to settle down after the bust, like everything else,nothing is written in stone and nothing works all the time, if you don't hear any talk after 15 min or so after bust, start calling, if you got a good break they will want to get back together and SHOULD answer, it was also stated to imitate mama if she starts assembly calling, which works sometimes, but not all, some folks suggest charging her and shutting her up, as all the others will go to her, which i have witnessed on too many occasions, but sometimes you can call in a straggler that is just trying to locate another bird.....if you imitate whatever calling you hear the birds doing, you stand a good chance of calling one in, if they're broken up [ and sometimes, even if they're not ]

first outing zilch, did drawback on a doe [ which does get the heart to racing ] but too much stuff in the way, didn't see/hear any birds, which was strange, especially this morn, as i know there are a bunch there, done for the week, coastal storm this afternoon [ wind/rain ] which is why i have time for this post, back to work tomorrow.....good luck to all
David

Springtime Assassins

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » October 9th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Not sure if there is a sure fire reason why to wait for them to call first. For me the first time I got a bust I sat down and wasn't really sure when to start calling. I waited for about 30 minutes and just when I was thinking about beginning to call I heard a bird to start to call and then another. I called to them and sure enough had several come in to me. So that's just the way I do it I wait for them to start calling to each other and then I join in.

ylpnfol your info from my experience is pretty much spot on. Just like in the spring a certain tactic or call doesn't always work and you need to be tuned in and ready to alter your tactics to what the birds are doing or responding to. Man ain't it fun :D .

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » October 9th, 2013, 7:59 pm

You know it is..... :D
David

Springtime Assassins

hawglips

Postby hawglips » October 10th, 2013, 11:13 am

I figure that I would rather a bird hear me as the first bird calling, rather than have it start talking to another and start gathering up first. It seems counter intuitive to me to wait for them to start up, but like I said, my fall hunting experience is limited. So, I was just wondering why so many folks seem to do it that way.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 10th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Just play it by ear hawglips. One fall I thought I knew where the birds were at and when I got there of course they weren't there. Then all of a sudden a squirrel started barking like crazy. I look in that direction and see a bunch of turkeys fly up in one tree about 100 yards away. I started calling and got the boss hen fired up. She flew down and brought the whole gang right to my lap. To this day I don't know what spooked the birds to fly up in the tree but I'm sure glad that they did.

I know a lot of people like to bust them and call them back in. I will do that sometimes but I get a bigger kick of trying to call them in without busting. I hope you have fun this fall and I hope you like it as much or more as the spring season.

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting