Fall chatter

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
ylpnfol

Fall chatter

Postby ylpnfol » October 2nd, 2013, 8:34 am

Not seeing any posts on fall adventures in the turkey woods, bow season here starts Saturday , tho I have 2 chances with my bow ( slim and none ), gun season starts the 26th, looking forward to seeing some stories from this falls trips to the turkey woods.....
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

kygobbler

Re: Fall chatter

Postby kygobbler » October 2nd, 2013, 3:25 pm

David our shotgun season starts the same time. I can't wait for it to get here. I already have the kids lined up to who is hunting which days. Hopefully this fall will go better than it did this spring. Im hoping each kid will get a turkey. So far the weather is looking like it might not cooperate to well because of rain. As I'm typing this I'm watching it fall. Last month we got 5" total and I'm ready for a dry spell.

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » October 2nd, 2013, 8:20 pm

10-days until our fall season starts cannot wait to get in the woods and talk some turkey.

ads1

Postby ads1 » October 2nd, 2013, 9:10 pm

I had a chance to get into the woods on opening day of bow season. It was hot and dry and I was soaking wet from sweat by the time I got to my setup. There were at laest 20 birds roosted, some not more than 30 yards from me. I used a small red filter light to walk in and it didn't seem to bother the birds. A few young birds flew down at daybreak and made a lot of noise. I thought I could call one to me since they would respond to my yelps and kee kees but the majority of the birds walked away from me. Two birds came my way. One bird was too far away for a shot and the other bird came in silent and spotted me before I could do anything. Two things were interesting: first the young birds were whining constantly until all the birds flew down. This lasted for at least 60 minutes. Secondly the birds stayed on the roost a long time and it was at least 8 am before all (at least I thought it was all of the birds) of the birds flew down. Then within 20 minutes it was quite in the woods. I get up to head out and Two additional birds fly off their roost. I came close but couldn't close the gap. Still a lot of foliage in the woods and it is difficult to see the birds. Eventhough I didn't get my bird it was so much fun to hear the birds talk. I thought they would come to the acorns and to where I was set up, but in hindsight I realize that because it was so hot and dry the birds were probably going to a water source. There is no water in the creek bottoms where they were roosted. If I had a shotgun I could have nailed a bird, but with a crossbow I was not confident or skilled enough to take a shot. I haven't been back to these birds. Need to develop a strategy on what to do. When you have to walk in over a half mile and it is not easy walking, then you realize you need to come in from a different direction and the terrain is even more difficult, makes me a little hesitant. Last spring the birds were flying into an open field, but it is planted to corn and the birds are not flying there. I believe they come to the corn in the afternoon. I see droppings and feathers and dust spots along the edge of the corn field so the late morning and afternoon may be the best time to hunt this side. Both mornings the birds have flown the same direction off the roost toward a water source. I am hoping the corn is harvested by the start of gun season. That will make for more opportunities. That's my story. Any comments?

retranger

Postby retranger » October 3rd, 2013, 7:45 am

Our fall season started Oct 1. Not been much of a fall hunter for turkey, it has been a hit and miss thing. Bow season for deer also opens the same time so it's what ever comes by first. The fall foliage is now past peak and leaves are falling like rain. Time soon to start thinking about following the birds south! :P
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 3rd, 2013, 10:17 am

Ads, if you know where they are getting their water source from then I would setup around it or around where they like to travel from the roost to the water. In the afternoon I believe I would setup around the corn also but also try to have a spot where you can cut them off when they go back to the roost.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » October 3rd, 2013, 10:38 am

Been out hunting, a lot, killed a lot of birds so far and plan to kill more unless of course the Feds arrest me, I intend to be disobedient . As of yesterday the Feds have ordered large tracts of hunting land and fishing waters closed in WI. I put up a post on the subject over in the WI state section.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » October 3rd, 2013, 9:18 pm

Have been out a few times in WI so far this year, it has been pretty slow so far in general. Birds have been quiet most of the day and not in much of a rush to join up in larger flocks. This will change as we get further into the fall. Did bag a nice gobbler this past week. Got set up on a roost site in the dark I figured a gobbler group i had seen in the area was using. About 15 minutes after first light a couple gobblers began tree yelping from various locations about 30-40 yards away. After a few minutes of yelping back and forth between me and the roosted birds I was startled by a gobbler flying out of a tree less than 15 yards from the one I was seated at. He never made a peep and hit the ground walking away at a decent pace. My gun was pointed the other direction and I couldn't get it swung over in time to take a shot. No matter as there were still 3-4 birds talking in the trees. I managed to get one roosted about 40 yards from my tree fairly worked up, I could see him bouncing around in the branches, and he eventually flew down towards me and landed behind a tree about 20 yards away. He made a couple clucks and took 5 or 6 steps before I had a clear shot and put him down. Was a nice older gobbler, 12" beard, with 2 broken spurs and a bit small for a WI bird in the fall, only 18 lbs or so. I figured he was an old bird on his way out. Was a great morning in the woods, got to hear some nice gobbler talk and it's always fun being in super close on a roost site as the birds wake up.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 3rd, 2013, 10:29 pm

Congrats Gopher, sounds like a very nice morning.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 4th, 2013, 1:01 am

Congrats gopher on your bird. It's been a tough fall season so far in unit 2, been out about 10 times and have only heard 1 bird gobbling deep in the woods on the private unhuntable land, and have only seen 1 bird fly out of the roost that I spooked walking out, have not seen or heard a bird in the mornings yet. The only flocks I've seen are small family flocks of 6/8 birds. Weathers been too warm to make them group up yet. Trees here are still green and full of leaves yet here, and none of the crop fields have been touched.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Fall Hunting