Turkey Hunting Magazines

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ncturkeytalk14

Turkey Hunting Magazines

Postby ncturkeytalk14 » September 19th, 2013, 9:48 am

It is truly sad that Turkey and Turkey Hunting magazine is no longer published. I truly enjoyed each and every article and page. I enjoyed seeing the new products that were being introduced, the hunting of each species of turkey, the layout of each state, the different hunting lands and laws. Does anyone know of another turkey magazine, that is currently on the newstand or maybe in the works of being produced. I am already an NWTF member and i already recieve the Turkey Country magazine, i liked it better when it was turkey call. I learned more. Out of the whole magazine there is a very small limited amount of articles in the Turkey Country Magazine, somtimes when i am reading it I wander if they ought to rename it animals and the outdoors. I love to turkey hunt and that is why i am a member to help the turkey population and education, but when i see my money going to help all the other animals it makes me wander, cause i have to travel to hunt turkeys, maybe some money can be used to get them closer to my home. Deer and Deer hunting deal with ...., Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation deal with...., Ducks Unlimited deal with ....., NWTF deals with ....., anyway just my .02 worth. If anyone knows of a turkey magazine let me know.
Thanks
Mike
ncturkeytalk

hawglips

Re: Turkey Hunting Magazines

Postby hawglips » October 1st, 2013, 8:16 am

Yeah, I'm really missing T&TH magazine also. Turkey Country is mostly unreadable and irrelevant. Don't know of any others out there though...

dewey

Postby dewey » October 1st, 2013, 3:42 pm

hawglips wrote:Yeah, I'm really missing T&TH magazine also. Turkey Country is mostly unreadable and irrelevant. Don't know of any others out there though...

I agree. I miss reading informational articles about turkeys. Turkey Country is OK but nothing compared to what T&TH was.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

retranger

Postby retranger » October 2nd, 2013, 7:40 am

Everybody liked the magazine,,,,does anyone know what the downfall was????
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » October 2nd, 2013, 8:16 am

I'm sure it was economical, not enough advertising revenue to keep all the publications up and running, and since there are more deer hunters than turkey hunters around the country......I subscribed back when it was " the turkey hunter" ( many moons ago ) and enjoyed reading about the hunts from around the country, and the biological facts..... I feel the same way as you guys about turkey country, my favorite part of that publication is Col. Tom Kelly's article......
David

You never know, unless you go

retranger

Postby retranger » October 3rd, 2013, 7:38 am

Greed is a terrible thing. :evil: I used to get the outdoor life years ago but have not gotten it for years. A year ago I subscribed again ,,,,, WOW the magazine was only half as thick at best and more ads than articles!! I did not renew it. I kept a diary of my different hunts,,,,guess I can put them together and start reading them. LOL :lol: :lol:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » October 10th, 2013, 9:44 pm

I really don't think there were enough subscribers to keep T&TH afloat. Sad thing too, because I really enjoyed reading it and I'm sure the authors had fun compiling stories for publication. I'm not really sure how many die-hard turkey hunters there are out there, or how many of that number were willing to subscribe to a dedicated turkey hunting magazine. There's a lot more deer hunters than turkey hunters and plenty who hunt both, but the hunters who are "turkey first" are a small minority compared to deer hunters. I often wonder how well D&DH is doing in popularity and market share compared to other Deer Hunting magazines.

Turkey Country gets delivered to my house too, but it is definitely not Turkey Call any more. I have gotten a good recipe or two out of it and contributed money to some turkey related causes through Turkey Country, but not much more. None of the articles capture the true essence of turkey hunting experience, nor are they trying to. Also, I'm missing the chromosome for the crowd they seem to be trying to appeal to these days.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » October 18th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Here's an out of the box idea,

Why not Brian Lovett take over the editorial reins of Turkey Country and morph it into Turkey and Turkey Hunting by a different name? :lol: Perhaps he could help it become what it once was and geared to turkey hunters instead of the "try to appeal to everyone" magazine that it is now.

Anyone know where Brian is these days anyway?

TurkeyJohn
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » October 18th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Here's an out of the box idea,

Why not Brian Lovett take over the editorial reins of Turkey Country and morph it into Turkey and Turkey Hunting by a different name? :lol: Perhaps he could help it become what it once was and geared to turkey hunters instead of the "try to appeal to everyone" magazine that it is now.

Anyone know where Brian is these days anyway?

TurkeyJohn
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » October 19th, 2013, 9:39 am

I hate that its Gone!!!! This is the first time i been able to post in months. Glad to be back on.
Clyde

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion