Add-on sights?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Cut N Run

Add-on sights?

Postby Cut N Run » March 12th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Every year my vision gets a little less sharp and I have considered adding an after-market set of sights to my Benelli SBE II.  The beads on it are pretty small and I'd like something that didn't interfere with my line of sight or blot out the target at distance.  I've seen a few of these that appeared to be rather cheaply made of plastic and may be prone to breakage in the field. Are there any aluminum or steel ones out there? I tried a red dot scope and while it worked, I was less than thrilled with it, because it threw the balance of my gun off and it was rather cumbersome.

I'd appreciate any input from someone who has used them and either likes, or dis-likes them & why.  I would also like to know which brands are worthy and which ones to stay away from. Thanks.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Steve_In

RE: Add-on sights?

Postby Steve_In » March 12th, 2009, 1:21 pm

I have a set for my 870 to convert it for slugs.  I think it is the ACCU-SITE  The original set came with it, I wore out the screws taking it on and off so I picked up another at a gun show.  They hold zero well and have never been a problem.  They are low enough they don't snag and your cheek is still firmly on the comb.  Your milage vary...
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 12th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Hey Jim,

There are a couple of companies that make excellent add on sights that are made from steel and/or aluminum that are quite sturdy and durable. http://www.truglosights.com/content/products/firearm/sluggun_rifle/category.aspwill get you to one of them and http://www.williamsgunsight.com/
will get you to another one.

I've tried/tested products from both companies and found them to be quite good.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 12th, 2009, 4:21 pm

HI JIM

You may want to try the PRO-SERIES Magnum Gobble-Dot by TRUGLO they mount to the rib with screws and they are all metal and fully adjustable. I have a Browning that shoots extremely tight patterns and put them on it and have been very happy with them,they are very durable and adjust easily.

Jon

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 12th, 2009, 4:31 pm

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

HI JIM

You may want to try the PRO-SERIES Magnum Gobble-Dot by TRUGLO they mount to the rib with screws and they are all metal and fully adjustable. I have a Browning that shoots extremely tight patterns and put them on it and have been very happy with them,they are very durable and adjust easily.

Jon

I agree
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 13th, 2009, 4:34 am

The Tru Glo Magnum Gobble Dots are a well made set of rifle type sites, Williams Firesites make some really nice ones too. That new Burris Fast Fire II is a neat little set up, its a rather compact red dot type site.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 13th, 2009, 3:03 pm

I've already posted this in the "Rifle scopes for shotguns" thread. I've had the Tru Glo Tru Point sights on my gun for 5 seasons now and love them. The are all metal and the fastening system is ingenious. A nylon clip snaps over your ventilated rib and the metal sight housing hinges down over and in turn snaps over the clip. No magnets, two sided tape or external screws to loosen. I hunt hard crossing a lot of creeks and low crawling through woodpiles and brush and have never had a problem. They are adjustable for windage via a recessed allen nut.

What I like the best is the extremely low profile which allows you to keep your cheek on the stock promoting good shooting form and lending to their durability. My father has had several sets of higher profile Tru Glo's that were adjustable for windage and elevation both and he has either broken or knocked all of them off his gun. It's been my experience that you don't need an elevation adjustment for a 40 yard turkey gun anyway, unless your ventilated rib is warped. Just my 2 cents worth, these are tried and true.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 13th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Thank you very much for the feedback.  I intend to check 'em all out & will report what I go with.  Hopefully, you'll see them on my gun in a picture of me with another nice Gobbler...

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Shooting