NWTF Challenge

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Steve_In

Re: NWTF Challenge

Postby Steve_In » September 9th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Would the stuff they put on some of the waterproof calls help the playing surface? The problem with this call ( to me ) would be the chalk getting brushed off while carrying. Cool calls, they still remind me of sardine cans. :D If they are that fussy on wood you better hope you have a good supply when you find the tone you want. Just changing trees could have an effect on the finished product even if it was exactly the same.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 9th, 2013, 8:53 pm

I've been looking at that Steve, and have come up with a couple ideas. You need someway of putting a lid over the playing surface, what I've come up with are two choices, 1. build a lid that is hinged with a small magnetic clasp to keep it closed, 2. build a glued box with the sides and one end a little higher and cut a groove in it to slide a lid in over the tongue?
Yes the wood grain is very fussy for the tongues, so you'd have to be very picky on your choices of woods you'd use. I've thought about using a chalkboard paint, like they used on box call lids, but that stuff wares off so fast and using a striker to play them I don't think it would last to long?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » September 18th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Those are sweet looking calls Scott. Have you tried tapering the thickness of the tongue from the base to the tip on the underside with a curved radius(just a thought ;) )? A trick we have used in the past with chalk board paint is to mix a little un-sanded grout with the paint before applying it to the surface, it gives it more body. The extra weight of the grout might have an adverse effect on the vibration of the tongue, but it might be worth a try.
Again great looking calls!
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 19th, 2013, 8:09 am

Yes I have Ted, and it didn't work very well. These calls have that deep raspy sound to them, and thining the tongue made it worst. You play these with different pressure down on the strikers, you can go from a deep raspy old hen to a keekee playing the exact same spot. I've tried different size and shape tongues, different size holes and location of the hole in the tongues, different wood surfaces, different wood boxes and thicknesses of the sides and bottoms of the boxes, different shapes and depts of the boxes, glued and hewned out boxes, I've tried just about anything I could come up with to design these, as far as making them easy to play and still sound good. Right now I'm working on a couple to see if I can build one with a soundboard in it, and wheather or not it will make a difference in the sounds? These are pretty much a friction call without a soundboard in them, so adding one may work or may not? Gibson used to put one in his box calls to improve their sounds, so it should work, but I'm not sure if a double vibrating effect will work or not? I've been trying different designs for covers to protect the tongues also.
I have built one that I'm looking at sending to Nationals, it's a purpleheart/ osage call that I've been playing for a week now and haven't touched it with any chalk, so far all I've had to do to it is surfaces it just like you would a slate call, but it sounds very close to what my glass calls sound like, it will produce a good solid 3 note yelp (very high start--medium mid tone--deep raspy finish), so we'll see if they like that sound or not? I don't believe you'd have any problem taking a bird with it.
I'll keep you guys informed about any improvements I've come up with so if you deside to try making one of these, a lot of the trial n error will be done for ya, just ask.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » September 20th, 2013, 10:50 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote: If I remember right, Treerooster used one and had talked quite a bit about it?

Just saw this thread.

I use a Morgan Frictionwood caller. It does not have the tongue that is in the challenge call. It has a slot in the front and is sort of a hollow box.

I like it because it I think the clucks and putts sound very real. I also like the "soft" fighting purr it produces. I have one that calls off the wood surface and one that Kenny Morgan glued another type of surface to.

They are fussy on which striker to use. Most strikers don't sound very good but a hard maple striker works well for me. I do chalk the surfaces too.

Here is a pic of my calls and a maple striker that came with them.

As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

pappy

Postby pappy » October 18th, 2013, 10:08 am

Willow....good to see you are still working on your calls. I believe the best combo is the walnut for the striking surface. With a cedar striker. remember when we talked about using a soundboard inside the box? It did make a difference in the reverberate but that was about all at least with my calls. So far I have 6 out there in the hands of hunters, and each was definitely surprised about the sound, "they sound like a little box call..." said one guy...LOL...One thing, I have been working on the wood selection for the back / bottom of the call, I have found the harder more dense woods are creating sharper and quicker response between the call and the friction created with the striker and allowing for a larger area to be designated as the sweet spot....thanks for posting the pics...pappy

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 21st, 2013, 11:30 am

pappy wrote:Willow....good to see you are still working on your calls. I believe the best combo is the walnut for the striking surface. With a cedar striker. remember when we talked about using a soundboard inside the box? It did make a difference in the reverberate but that was about all at least with my calls. So far I have 6 out there in the hands of hunters, and each was definitely surprised about the sound, "they sound like a little box call..." said one guy...LOL...One thing, I have been working on the wood selection for the back / bottom of the call, I have found the harder more dense woods are creating sharper and quicker response between the call and the friction created with the striker and allowing for a larger area to be designated as the sweet spot....thanks for posting the pics...pappy

That's the truth Jack, they do sound like a little box call. They are a bit fussy,but with a little practice you can do just about any call a wild turkey can do. They will do all of the different pitched kee kees, the spitty, clean, raspy clucks, the deep raspy, high clean, soft whiney yelps, whines and whistles, gobbler boinks that gobblers do as the meet up, the keeyelps, the different purrs, soft, whiney, raspy, fighting purrs, all easier than you can on a pot or box call, with a lot less movement. Charlie was doing some fighting purrs with two strikers, and Randy couldn't believe the sounds coming out of that call, it sounded exactly like a flock of young birds gathering up with the different sounds they make. I have hard time going back to running a pot call after learning to run one of these, a pot call at best will only produce a 3 note yelp, these will produce a 5-6 note yelp that sound so increadiblly real it isn't funny. For guys that have a hard time running kee kees these will eliminate that problem, they kee kee so easy it's unreal. Or if your not real comfortable running a box call they produce a box call sound with all the different tones that a box call produces. It's just a matter of learning to control the pressure you apply to the striker, and to control the size of your ovals when doing a yelp, on a pot call your oval or j-hooks are the size of a dime, with these it the size of an asprin, very little movement is required to run one of these.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Previous

Return to Call Makers