Zone 3 Decent Public Ground?

bdoubleya

Zone 3 Decent Public Ground?

Postby bdoubleya » September 16th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Hi, I recently picked up a leftover permit for zone 3 and was wondering if you guys know some decent public hunting ground that holds turkeys in the fall.

I have looked on the DNR website's list of grounds and noticed they mention if turkeys may be present, but not how common they are in each spot in relation to each other. I figured you guys might have some more insight.

I have been out a few times and managed to find some feathers but that's about it, no tracks or scratchings. Yet to see or hear a bird.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

charlie elk

Re: Zone 3 Decent Public Ground?

Postby charlie elk » September 19th, 2013, 12:28 pm

WDNR website is a good source for hunting locations as are the county sites. Fall turkey hunting is challenging and most of that challenge is finding the birds. Even if I gave the exact location of the last turkeys I saw in unit 3 when you got there, most likely you would find no turkeys or sign that they had ever been there. Have faith, there are a lot of turkeys in unit 3 on public lands.

bdoubleya wrote:I have been out a few times and managed to find some feathers but that's about it, no tracks or scratchings. Yet to see or hear a bird

When food is easily available turkeys just peck it up and do not scratch much if at all. Unless the ground is very soft turkeys rarely leave visible tracks. Feathers is a good sign, these birds were probably having some disagreements and they are easier to call in. The problem with feathers is knowing how long ago that disagreement happened.
Look for droppings while you are hunting. These indicate the turkeys were feeding and you can learn to judge the timeframe they were there.

All that being said I cover a lot of ground in the fall to find turkeys. Dogs are legal in WI so if you have a bird dog you might want to consider taking it with you to help find promising areas.
Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin