T-Minus...

charlie elk

Re: T-Minus...

Postby charlie elk » September 11th, 2013, 11:08 am

ads1 wrote:Found some long beards this morning.They were still in trees at 8:30 am

Excellent news that makes your drive worthwhile. The birds have been hanging out in the trees until late morning here too and going back up into trees off and on during the day.
Btw, welcome to WI hope you have a good time and make it an annual event.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 11th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Strange Charlie, wonder why they'd be sitting on the roost so late into the day. all the heat lately maybe?

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 12th, 2013, 8:22 am

Because there is so much food out there my theory is they are getting their fill quickly. And when a bird's crop is full they loaf around. For a turkey the tree is the safest place to rest while digesting. It is looking like the turkeys roost mid day then fly down late afternoon and eat some more before roosting for the night. Perhaps they are still full come morning causing them to feel no urgency to fly down at sunrise.
I have watched and puzzled about this type of behavior for years.

treerooster has a length of daylight theory, perhaps he'll be checking and add to this.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 12th, 2013, 9:45 am

That's one of the interesting things about turkeys. They do a lot of vertically unexplainable things that us humans don't understand. There is one group I've been watching that use a hayfield almost everyday. They are up near the road, the highest part of the field from 11:00 to 1:00 at the hottest part of the day, instead of being down near the woods edge in the shaded area or near the creek that runs through the fields. They are also in the turned over sweet corn field, now that turned over ground has to be hotter higher up, so what is it that they want there at mid day?
Are the tree birds you guys are see in the lower areas or up near the tops of the ridges? It may have something to do with the climates? I pay attention to the dew points, and on days in the spring the toms will be gobbling all day long on days that the dew points are low, but on days that the dew point is high they only gobble on the roost and as soon as they hit the ground they clam up. That's why we get days that the birds are very vocal and some days they aren't, no matter if they have hens with them or not. It could be a climate thing?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ads1

Postby ads1 » September 12th, 2013, 12:10 pm

The birds that I saw were high on a bluff overlooking a fairly large stream. So on one side is a stream and wooded area and on the other side is an alfalfa field.

This morning it was 54 degrees which is a big change. Don't know how the birds will react. I did follow a group of 5 poults down a dirt road this morning while in my car. I stayed back about 150 yards and they didn't seem to mind. Don't know if they were aware I was there, but they were foraging on seeds and bugs. When they reached an alfalfa field I got within 80 yards.They didn't seem to mind the presence of the car. The alfalfa field was in between two corn fields. When they got out of sight I walked around a hill to get in front of them. Got within 50 yards and one of them saw me and they took off. They ran a good distance along the corn field but would not go into the corn field, staying in the alfalfa field until they got to the end of the field and disappeared into a fence row. This all occured between 9:00 am and 10:30 am. It looked like there were 4 hens and one male poult. The heads on the hens were real blue and the neck on the male poult had some red at the bottom of the neck. Good morning to be out in the country side! :D

ads1

Postby ads1 » September 12th, 2013, 12:24 pm

They were high in a tree on a bluff.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 12th, 2013, 2:07 pm

You're getting me all jazzed up for Saturday morning Ads1, weather looks like it will be perfect this weekend. Nice and cool without any major storms/rain. Going to be hard to sleep these next two nights :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 12th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Stopped at one of the publics today on my home from town and had some fun with a couple of young birds. Walked back in to see if the DNR cut the roadway through the woods and marsh? As I was getting to the end of the road a couple birds stepped onto the road and stood looking around. I dropped down into a squat and watched them feeding up towards me, as they got closer they stopped and was looking at what I was. So I dropped my wings and started to circle and bob my head while keekeeing :P , they stood looking wondering what is that idiot think he is, a turkey :lol: . They just turned and walked back into the woods, they probably went and told their buddies about the nut they seen on the road :roll: . Yep, it's getting close to turkey season :D .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » September 12th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Where is the video camera when you need it. :lol: :lol: I would have paid to seen that. :lol:
Is it turkey season yet?

dewey

Postby dewey » September 12th, 2013, 10:55 pm

kygobbler wrote:Where is the video camera when you need it. :lol: :lol: I would have paid to seen that. :lol:

No kidding that would have been hilarious.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin