I am a newbie in turkey hunting looking for some methods

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
cindygrey

I am a newbie in turkey hunting looking for some methods

Postby cindygrey » September 9th, 2013, 4:23 am

Hello,i'm 27 from Nashville, i've been hunting for 1 year and have almost kill my first trophy. I want to know how to find turkeys at night? since the weather becomes cool,it seems it's hard to find them. Cindy

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: I am a newbie in turkey hunting looking for some methods

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 9th, 2013, 9:03 am

Well Cindy, that requires a lot of scouting. Once you've found the flocks by glassing areas or having people tell you where they've seen birds. After you've located birds then you have to find where they like to hang out and that requires a lot of foot work. Look for their food source and their roosting areas. Look around your hunting area and see where they've been feeding, look for scratched up leaves in a woods or crop fields that the birds have been in. Once you've found an area, then spend some time early in the morning or right near dusk and use your ears to tell you where their roosting areas are, birds that are flocked up will make a racket in the early morning or evening as they group back up. Listen where they are and then check that area out midday to find the trees that they are roosting in, look for feathers and turkey droppings around and under trees. Birds in the fall will follow their food source, if they are bugging look for open grass fields, hay fields ect. If there isn't any open fields then they will be looking for trees that produce a mast crop of some sort, acorns, small berrys, a water source where they can get grubs or insects, certain green leaves or grasses. Mark those areas on a map of your hunting area, birds will use those regularly, the same with the roost areas. Once you've found those areas, look for any old roads, deer trails ect. birds will travel them to and from their roost spots and food sources. Birds in the fall are very noisy, they talk a lot to keep in touch with each other so they don't get seperated. You can also use crow calls, owl calls, goose calls, to help locate birds, but your eyes and ears are your best sort of locating them. If your new to the area and are hunting large wooded areas, look for massive pine groves, birds will use that area a lot. Most important, be patient and learn what calls to use for spring or fall and practice them a lot.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » September 9th, 2013, 8:41 pm

That was some great advice that willowridge gave you. Something else I would suggest is look for roost sites around ridges, creeks, or rivers. If you have a ridge along a creek I would almost gaurantee they are roosting there.
Is it turkey season yet?

cindygrey

Postby cindygrey » September 10th, 2013, 3:45 am

Thanks for willowridge's full sharing about the methods above,it's much helpful to me.Share a picture I shoot near dusk last week with you.It is a hard opportunity to me!
I am not sure the picture can be showed..i use a link to upload.
Last edited by cindygrey on September 11th, 2013, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 10th, 2013, 7:52 am

Where have all these chinese spammers been coming from lately? Piss off "cindy"

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 10th, 2013, 9:11 am

I don't know, guess everyone is trying to make living. The tip off that something isn't right with her post...
cindygrey wrote: I want to know how to find turkeys at night?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 10th, 2013, 4:03 pm

charlie elk wrote:I don't know, guess everyone is trying to make living. The tip off that something isn't right with her post...
cindygrey wrote: I want to know how to find turkeys at night?

I found that a little off the wall myself, that's why I just gave some basic info that they can get anywhere. I assumed they ment predawn or just after dark and maybe they were a newbie? But the pic sealed the fate. Guess I could of said use a spotlight and shine it all around every place you go :?:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Ekstrom

Postby Ekstrom » September 11th, 2013, 3:03 am

May be you can use a Infrared trailcam to observe their trail....

retranger

Postby retranger » September 11th, 2013, 7:23 am

Sounds like cara is back with a different dress on. :roll: :roll: :roll:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

cindygrey

Postby cindygrey » September 12th, 2013, 4:10 am

I just wonder why there are so many misunderstanding..I use a friend's album for picture loading..OK, sorry for that.
I observed them by coincidence, wanna to know their roost trace.Thanks for all your kind help above.

Next

Return to Strategies