T-Minus...

charlie elk

T-Minus...

Postby charlie elk » September 9th, 2013, 1:20 pm

It's starts this Saturday! Wahoo
So we'll be counting hours instead of days.
The turkeys are abundant and the weather looks good for Saturday. Although after long dry period it would be hard not like some rain. The trees and brush are defoliating so we'll be able to call the turkeys by just stepping forward like a turkey.

What is it you most forward to about opening morning? besides the it's finally here feeling?

For me it will be the first break; starting with the putts bouncing from beak to beak turning into cackles- alarm yelps and the great black wings clawing for air silhouetted against the backdrop of multicolored leaves accompanied by Vic's excited barks and whines as he flushes any stragglers. Then of course the setup... :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: T-Minus...

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 9th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Those first slow raspy tree yelps from the gobbler group I'll be set up on. Saturday can't get here fast enough :D

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » September 9th, 2013, 8:50 pm

For me its just listening to the birds at the crack of dawn. It wouldn't matter if I was able to get a shot at one or not. The sound of hearing 40-100 birds yapping it up all at the same time is just pure music.

I'm assuming its shotgun season for you guys up there? Our bow season just started last weekend and shotgun is still just over a month away. :cry:

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 9th, 2013, 9:55 pm

WI does not have a separate shotgun/bow season. Your tag is good for archery or shotgun.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 10th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Getting anxious to get out there and try it with a bow early in the season while we got a bunch of leaves to help camo me, won't be using a blind just roughing it. Yep the sweet sound of early morning birds will be a treat. Can't wait for our Oct hunt charlie, hopefully the weather holds good and we find a few birds for Vic to play with.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ads1

Postby ads1 » September 10th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Just arrived in Roberts, Wisconsin. Got to do some early morning scouting. I really feel at a disadvantage because I don't know where the birds are roosting. Tomorrow morning and some coffe will be great.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 10th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Have fun tomorrow Ads1, I'd much rather be out scouting than sitting at work :D. you'll find some birds in time for Saturday, they're around somewhere.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » September 10th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Picked up my tag today! Now I am getting more excited about it. Not sure if I will get out this weekend. With only one tag in my pocket this fall I don't want to use it up to quickly!!

Saw 2 nice gobblers on Saturday when I went to put out a trail camera. Definitely would like to put that tag on one of them.

I haven't been on here much lately but with 4H commitments, Mossy Oak, and other stuff life has been crazy!!!!

Good luck to you all, and Charlie hopefully we can hook up with you and Vic sometime. My wife wants to see Vic again, he sure has a way with the ladies!!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 11th, 2013, 9:40 am

ads1 wrote: I really feel at a disadvantage because I don't know where the birds are roosting.

It is common for WI fall turkeys to roost in different locations each night, sometimes miles away from their previous roosts. But not to worry another flock will be along to fill the void. Some turkeys have a "scheduled route" they use weekly, where they'll be on one farm Monday and by Thursday another farm 5 or more miles away then back to the start by Monday. Except for gopher's turkeys according to him they roost on the same ridges and trees year round.
No matter what have a lot fun and good hunting.

ticklishtompro wrote:With only one tag in my pocket this fall I don't want to use it up to quickly!!

If I had only one tag (shudder) I would trophy hunt just to make it last. Did you notice there are still thousands of tags left in 3?

ticklishtompro wrote:My wife wants to see Vic again, he sure has a way with the ladies!!

Yes he does. :roll: He received 3 marriage proposals while at the Turkey Expo from other Vizsla owners which are being considered for next year.
Vic is the first dog I have ever had who loves going to the Vet. Perhaps because she is well endowed and holds him tight to her chest during his examination?

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Can't wait for our Oct hunt charlie, hopefully the weather holds good and we find a few birds for Vic to play with.

Dittos.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ads1

Postby ads1 » September 11th, 2013, 10:32 am

Found some long beards this morning.They were still in trees at 8:30 am. The crows were harassing them but they did not gobble. Interesting!

Next

Return to Wisconsin