NWTF Challenge

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

NWTF Challenge

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 4th, 2013, 10:45 pm

The NWTF has challenged any/all custom call makers to build a Vibrating Tongue Call and enter it in the 2014 Call Makers Competition at Nationals this year. The vibrating tongue call is a wood surface friction call that is run just like a pot call, you chalk the wood surface and use a striker to operate it, it has a 3 sided cut out tongue that you play on, and about 5" long, 2" wide, and an 1" deep. They are a simple, plain call, and discribed as a working man's or mountain man's call. The NWTF has challenged all call makers to test your woodworking skills and see what you can come up with?

I've never made a vibrating tongue call before, but have made a few wood surface pot calls, so I may have to give this challenge a try?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Steve_In

Re: NWTF Challenge

Postby Steve_In » September 5th, 2013, 9:14 am

:evil: Nope I won't go there, this is a family oriented forum. :D
I seem to remember seeing a pic of one, kind of reminded me of a sardine can.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 5th, 2013, 10:54 pm

I've never seen one up close either, only in pics. If I remember right, Treerooster used one and had talked quite a bit about it? I'm not quite sure just what the challenge is all about? If it's to see how other call makers make them, or who can make a fancy one or just to get more guys to make them, not sure why it's a challenge?? I read it in the federation magazine. They are kind of a neat looking little call.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » September 7th, 2013, 10:34 am

I never even heard of one before. When I read the name of it other things did pop in my mind. :lol: I tried googleing a pic of it and this is the only one I found.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2022

Hey, eggshell do you still have the call?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 7th, 2013, 12:36 pm

That call was built but George Huffman from Ohio, he started building them years ago and sold the through the Fur Fish and Game magazine back in the early 70's. George is now in his 80's, but his grandson helps him build them.

Here are a few Jack Lewis is building and is starting to get great sound out of them. I've done a couple, but still haven't settled on a sound I like, just yet. I've been sharing secrets back n forth with Pappy about different things we've tried and what's worked and what hasn't and what woods work the best.
Attachments
Vib Tongue2.jpg
Vib Tongue2.jpg (22.04 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Vib Tongue1.jpg
Vib Tongue1.jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 304 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 7th, 2013, 8:54 pm

I knew George very well in the 1970s, 80s and early 90s. when i left the NWTF I kind of lost contact with George. He made me a couple of vibrating tongue calls, and i have three presentation pieces from Goerge. All are trophys from the South Central Chapter's big gobbler contest. My favorite is a over sized working walnut box call with an inscription and trophy plaque on it. I traded the first vibrating tongue to Shad that was on here for a wildlife print of his.

I'm sad to say George no longer makes calls. His wife died this summer and he, I believe, is in a rest home. His children held an auction and sold off all his shop equipment about a month ago. My wife and I attended and i purchased several items including his two work stools that he crafted many calls from. They are now sitting at the breakfast counter in our dinette. George is a wonderful person and a man of God. One of his pride and joys was making a custom call for President Jimmy Carter, who would autograph and send him a copy of every book he wrote. I don'y know if the NWTF's request has anything to do with George, but it would be a fitting tribute to one of our finest gentlemen and sportsman.

Willowridge, I thought of you at the sale as George had a huge store of wood and they offered it for sale and never got a bid. If I'd have known someone interested I could have bought it for next to nothing. I just couldn't make up my mind in time to decide whether to bid. Logistically it would have been a chore to move.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » September 8th, 2013, 6:24 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:The NWTF has challenged any/all custom call makers to build a Vibrating Tongue Call and enter it in the 2014 Call Makers Competition at Nationals this year. The vibrating tongue call is a wood surface friction call that is run just like a pot call, you chalk the wood surface and use a striker to operate it, it has a 3 sided cut out tongue that you play on, and about 5" long, 2" wide, and an 1" deep. They are a simple, plain call, and discribed as a working man's or mountain man's call. The NWTF has challenged all call makers to test your woodworking skills and see what you can come up with?

I've never made a vibrating tongue call before, but have made a few wood surface pot calls, so I may have to give this challenge a try?

HI. How do you get noise out of it? I've never heard of one.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 8th, 2013, 9:58 am

You play it just like you'd play a pot call, the tongue on it is the same as a surface on a pot call, that you play with a striker. You have to keep the tongue chalked up good just like a paddle on a box call. They produce a sound very similar to a box call because your playing wood on wood. You surface them with a little sanding and chalk to make them play. The bare is trying to find combos that play well together and a rough enough wood that won't slicken up to fast, a really dry rough wood works the best. If the wood has an oily texture to it, it won't play worth a dang, a very straight grain is a must on the tongues, if the wood has any figure in it, it won't play very good, no matter what type of wood it is. The secret is in the thickness of the tongue, if it's to thick they produce a high pitched sound that doesn't break very well in the yelps, if it's to thin then you get a deep dull sound, more like a jake/gobbler sound.

Dana, does your calls all have a hole drilled on the tongues? I know his early calls had a solid tongue with no holes, but his later calls had holes drilled in the tongues.

I've don't a few with some good sound and some terrible sounding ones :lol: . Still learning and trying to figure out what woods work well and what grains work well. Having never seen one or touched one it's been all trial and error for me. I've found the size of the holes in the tongue also makes an importance in the sound of the call, and where the hole is drilled also has an effect on them. I've done a couple that sounded good in a glued box design, now I'm working on some with a hewned box design, I'll keep you guys in touch what I find out?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 8th, 2013, 7:58 pm

yes mine have holes. I think i had one that didn' t and it wouldn't play well so I think George told me to drill a hole in it and that is the one I have now.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 8th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Did you drill a hole in it yet?
I've been playing around with different size holes, what I've found so far is that the hole needs to be close to a 3/8 dia hole in the tongue.

These are two of the hewned out boxes that I've done that I like the sound of best. One is a chestnut over purpleheart and the other is a walnut over cherry, ran with a cedar striker. I'm liking the W/C call a bit better, and will try that one out this fall. These things really kee kee great with a few different tones of kee kees, and they have that raspy hollow yelp of a jake or old hen.
Attachments
Vib tongue 3.jpg
Vib tongue 3.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 269 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Call Makers