Acorns

ads1

Acorns

Postby ads1 » September 7th, 2013, 5:17 pm

I'm heading to Wisconsin early next week for opening day of turkey season! Can anyone tell me if the acorns are falling yet and if the turkeys are finding them. If not, how about alfalfa fields? or what else are the turkeys eating? :D

charlie elk

Re: Acorns

Postby charlie elk » September 7th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Due to the extreme dry conditions some trees are masting. Most turkeys I've seeing are bugging on hoppers. Hoppers are everywhere.
There has been no meaningful rain in 10 weeks. It had been much cooler than normal but now the temps are near 90. That and no rain is causing many of the mast crops to cast before they've matured. This good news for turkeys food in the woods will be plentiful.
Farmers with the sandier soils have been paid by their crop insurance and are now chopping those corn fields.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ads1

Postby ads1 » September 7th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Thanks. I feel sorry for the farmers. We had to disc down our corn last year because of the drought. There was just enough corn on the ground to cause the turkeys to cruise the fields. :D

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 8th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Was out doing some scouting this morning in western Unit 4. Acorns everywhere in the woods and open areas/edges are thick with hoppers. Turkeys are living in an all you can eat buffet right now. Picked out a couple flocks to hunt next weekend, it's going to be a long week :D

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 9th, 2013, 8:55 am

What a difference a day makes. Sunday morning the Burr and Pin Oaks started raining acorns, on some hillsides it was like walking on a bed of marbles. The Red and Black oaks are shedding some green acorns and the White Oaks are starting to turn brown.
Turkey food is everywhere which may be why the turkeys are spending more daytime in the trees as it is a relatively safe place to rest and digest.
Good hunting! :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin