Poult Watch

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Poult Watch

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 28th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Had some fun today. I bought a new bow a couple weeks ago and had a chance today to try it out and sight it in. I was out at out shooting range and just about finished sighting it in when I heard a hen cluck and a few kee kees, so I walked over to my target and sat on it and started to whistle kee kees back at them. The poults started to talk back and it was a kee kee fest going on for a while, until they showed up at the fence and stood looking. I was just sitting on my target in the middle of a mowed field with no cover. I started clucking at them and they'd kee kee back, then the old hen showed up and wasn't fooled, she putted, took off and flew across the burning pile to the other side of the creek and a few poults followed her, but a couple stayed and one was a young jake with a short little beard, he tried every which way to get through that fence to come visit. He could get his head through the woven fence but the rest of him wouldn't fit, he was going up n down that fence looking for a spot to get through until I stood up, then he started to putt and they flew over with the others. So much for the camo theory I was sitting in the wide open waring a grey t-shirt and jeans, he must of thought I was a bird on top of a stump :lol: . The flock looked healthy and about 3/4 grown.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 28th, 2013, 2:35 pm

It's always fun to interact with turkeys Scott, even when you're not hunting. Sounds like you had a good time with those birds,they can do the craziest things some times. When ever I go for a hike during the summer now I always bring my calls in case I run into some birds :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 28th, 2013, 3:41 pm

I know what you mean gopher, I was wishing I had one along, I even searched through the truck to see if I had a pen to rip apart to use as a trumpet :lol: .
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on August 28th, 2013, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

retranger

Postby retranger » August 28th, 2013, 7:34 pm

So much for the camo theory I was sitting in the wide open waring a grey t-shirt and jeans, he must of thought I was a bird on top of a stump [color=#000040]I am not a great fan of camo although I do wear it. I say you have to wear camo to look like a hunter, not necessarily to hunt, I believe movement is much more important [/color]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 29th, 2013, 10:00 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:searched through the truck to see if I had a pen to rip apart to use as a trumpet

Yep that would have worked, did you have one or at least a straw?

Went out to range this morning to pattern a couple of guns. Much to my surprise it was full of turkeys (the feathered versions) at least 50 of them. The poults were pheasant size so they should be just right by the 14th, all white meat and tender. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 29th, 2013, 10:12 am

No I didn't find anything that would work, when I got home I put one of my cane yelpers in the truck, just incase. These birds were almost full grown, must have been some from an early hatch?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » August 29th, 2013, 12:18 pm

I haven't had time to get in the woods very much and I have seen very few turkeys from the road. I have a question for ya. Last week my little girl tells me that her and my wife had seen some baby turkeys. She showed me how big they were with her hands and I look at my wife and she tells me that they were as big as qual. :? Is it just me, or does it seem that they would have been hatched a lot later than they should?

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 29th, 2013, 2:17 pm

kygobbler wrote: I have a question for ya. Last week my little girl tells me that her and my wife had seen some baby turkeys. She showed me how big they were with her hands and I look at my wife and she tells me that they were as big as qual. Is it just me, or does it seem that they would have been hatched a lot later than they should?

During the second week of August I started noticing freshly hatched turkeys barely able to walk around let alone fly. In years past I have found this occasionally but this year it is widespread all over my area.
Last year during the fall hunt there were large differences in size among the flocks so I would assume these late hatchers are more common than we thought. Now that I really focus on fall hunting perhaps I'm paying more attention to the turkeys this time of year.

Due to WI nonexistent spring this year I did some research and talked with treerooster about egg timing. A short post is here http://www.charlieelk.com/2013/when-do- ... wisconsin/
later,
charlie

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » August 29th, 2013, 6:14 pm

It struck me odd because this spring was almost ideal. We did have a stretch around the last week of April where we received a bunch of rain that flooded some spots so bad that water was standing for a couple of weeks. Besides that the weather was extremely nice and warm. Now here is an idea for you and see what you think. Lets say this batch of poults that are about the size of a qual right now, would the jennies not be ready to breed untill later in the next summer and that might be a main reason to why you see some extremely late hatches? I cant remember off the top of my head on how old a hen has to be to reproduce but that should put them in that ball park. If Im incorrect on my thinking correct me please.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 29th, 2013, 7:49 pm

kygobbler wrote: Lets say this batch of poults that are about the size of a qual right now, would the jennies not be ready to breed untill later in the next summer and that might be a main reason to why you see some extremely late hatches?

I tend to agree with your hypothesis. At the end of July I saw strutters with smallish hens. Also it is well documented that mature hens will re-nest well into August using the insemination they received in the spring.
I do not recall ever seeing any research regarding the age of mating. Suppose the springtime jennies might be like the jakes hormones raging but their bodies not quite ready. All the more reason to shoot those big bad child molesting springtime gobblers, eh?
Over the last few years I have been coming to the conclusion mating takes place from March to August.
later,
charlie

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin