Shocking Fall Permits 55,711

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Shocking Fall Permits 55,711

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 21st, 2013, 9:53 am

It looks like another computer glitch. Today I checked it and it said that I didn't even apply for a Fall Permit? When I checked it monday it said application recieved but didn't draw a tag, they hadn't post successfull hunters yet. I contacted them to see what the heck is going on? Hopefully they get back to me and let us know what problems their having with the system? They said yeah they haven't even heard which people drew tags form the people that did the drawing. They say it shows I applied so we'll wait and see?

Mail just came with my tag in it. Dang computers :lol: .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 21st, 2013, 12:42 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Mail just came with my tag in it. Dang computers

Congratulations. But they still need to fix the computer program before you can buy your license or any of the leftovers. I had heard they mailed the postcards last Friday. What is the date of your postmark?
I just checked online and it still says the same thing-- no app - no permit awarded.

Since there are no tags available in #2 I have been talking with some of the turkey doggers in #2 about meeting up in unit 3 somewhere. Are you interested?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 21st, 2013, 1:41 pm

charlie elk wrote:
WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Mail just came with my tag in it. Dang computers

Congratulations. But they still need to fix the computer program before you can buy your license or any of the leftovers. I had heard they mailed the postcards last Friday. What is the date of your postmark?
I just checked online and it still says the same thing-- no app - no permit awarded.

Since there are no tags available in #2 I have been talking with some of the turkey doggers in #2 about meeting up in unit 3 somewhere. Are you interested?

Mine has no post mark on it, not sure when they sent it?
I'm planning on getting a unit 3 tag Sat. so yeah let me what you guys deside.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

putt

Postby putt » August 21st, 2013, 2:02 pm

I got my postcard today saying that I've been selected to receive a fall permit for zone 2.

But when I check my WDNR online account it still says "Permit Awarded: NO".
Weird that the postcards are mailed, but the online database is still at NO.

I too am shocked at the lack of leftover fall permits this year.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 21st, 2013, 2:52 pm

I just got this email for WDNR customer service--
"We have been notified that some of the fall turkey results have had a delay in being posted to customer records. It has been confirmed that they will all be posted tonight. Have a great day!"
later,
charlie

Wackostu

Postby Wackostu » August 23rd, 2013, 9:06 am

My online notification came through yesterday. Same day as my post card came.

ads1

Postby ads1 » August 23rd, 2013, 9:13 am

I received my permit notification on Thursday indicating that I had drawn a Unit 4 Harvest Permit. Purchased my Licence, Stamp, and $2.00 donation to deer program fo $40 this morning. The on-line purchase was easy and quick. This is a great deal for one of the best turkey states in the nation! :D

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 23rd, 2013, 9:44 am

My notification came same as you guys and bought my license immediately so that they couldn't change their minds. :lol:
I feel so better now and I'll feel even better when I start stocking up on permits tomorrow. :D It is a big state with a very long season...

For all my friends here- WDNR just updated the total leftover permits here http://dnr.wi.gov/permits/fallturkey.html
Good hunting.
later,
charlie

putt

Postby putt » August 23rd, 2013, 5:54 pm

charlie elk wrote:I feel so better now and I'll feel even better when I start stocking up on permits tomorrow.

Hey Charlie. Have some pity on those living & hunting in the apparently turkey-poor zones. :(

Or I should probably say zones with an apparent high ratio of eager hunters to available turkeys.

While I am grateful to have drawn a fall permit here, I'm a bit bummed that there aren't the leftover permits of recent years. I had already rescheduled my Saturday morning to go after another permit in nearby zone 5 & visit a farmer friend there. Last year there were nearly 900 second permits there, nearly 5000 in my home zone 2.

It will be interesting to hear the theorizing on why so many fall hunters, at least first-applicant fall hunters, this year.

One thing that is puzzling from the WDNR leftover permit page http://dnr.wi.gov/permits/fallturkey.html is that its totals changed rather substantially in two days from Wednesday to today, in spite of no permits being able to be sold. Apparently a recount added thousands to each of the 3 zones with available permits, ranging from 2000+ more to 5000+ more, depending on the zone. Still the same 3 turkey-wealthy zones though, the apparent recount didn't add any more new zones to the Saturday sale list.

Yup, I know the solution to my problem ... drive a bit farther to another zone & try some new territory.

Good hunting.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 23rd, 2013, 10:52 pm

putt wrote:Hey Charlie. Have some pity on those living & hunting in the apparently turkey-poor zones. :(

I feel for you guys, so much so I suggested they issue a few more permits to at least cover all the applicants. Sighting past precedent of the spring mess a few years ago when they did issue more permits to cover the overdraw. Unfortunately that seed was blown off. Now I'm urging more permits for 2014. What else would you like me to do?
I still think the drawing should be done away with. But the head turkey dude has made it clear that is not going to happen now. The head turkey lady gave me that notice in writing. Never fear when the big turkey plan pow wow is convened I'll be there as a non affiliated hunter pleading the case for all the regular hunters of the state.
putt wrote:One thing that is puzzling from the WDNR leftover permit page http://dnr.wi.gov/permits/fallturkey.html is that its totals changed rather substantially in two days from Wednesday to today, in spite of no permits being able to be sold

Actually the computer wizards did not get the page updated until this morning at 7:30. The leftover totals are same as they were at the time of drawing completion. As I posted here http://www.charlieelk.com/2013/2013-wis ... g-results/ on the 19th.
putt wrote:Yup, I know the solution to my problem ... drive a bit farther to another zone & try some new territory.

You got it, you met Vic at the Turkey Expo and if you would like to meet up for some turkey dogging he says he is game on for it. Send me an email. Speaking of Turkey Expo maybe Vic did too good of job convincing hunters to try the fall hunt. Whew, sure glad we did that on your side of the state. ;)
later,
charlie

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin