Doc's Book

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Hookspur

Doc's Book

Postby Hookspur » August 7th, 2013, 8:27 pm

I have been waiting to announce this until everything was done and evidence was in-hand, and that day has finally arrived. So, here goes......I've written a book! It's sort of a biographical rendition of my turkey hunting endeavors, and I self-published it in both paperback and hardcover editions through Dog Ear Publishing. The title is "Turkey Tails and Tales From Across The USA," and it contains some outstanding original artwork by Wess Vandenbark ("flintlock" on many of these forums) to accent some of the stories. I'm really proud of how it turned out, so if you're interested in taking a look, you can visit my webpage: http://www.turkeytalesusa.com. It's also being sold on Barnes and Noble's website, Amazon, and Ebay, and will soon be available in Midwest Turkey Call Supply catalog and various other avenues. Or, if you'd like a signed copy from me personally, you can private message me and we can discuss how to get that arranged. Thanks....I hope y'all like it.

gouldshunter

Re: Doc's Book

Postby gouldshunter » August 7th, 2013, 9:32 pm

I got the paperback version last week and read it cover to cover in one day. This book is "Doc's" story as a young man first starting to hunt turkey to becoming a turkey killing junkie. Join "Doc" as he goes from state to state on his quest for a his first single season Grand Slam on public land. The ins and outs of killing Osceola on public land. You'll even find out why he may never take a World Slam :D . He even goes over state by state license fees contact information and the difficulties of hunting the state. If your looking for a book with stories on killing turkey more then the how too's of killing turkey this book is for you and well worth the read.

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » August 8th, 2013, 5:26 am

gouldshunter wrote:I got the paperback version last week and read it cover to cover in one day. This book is "Doc's" story as a young man first starting to hunt turkey to becoming a turkey killing junkie. Join "Doc" as he goes from state to state on his quest for a his first single season Grand Slam on public land. The ins and outs of killing Osceola on public land. You'll even find out why he may never take a World Slam :D . He even goes over state by state license fees contact information and the difficulties of hunting the state. If your looking for a book with stories on killing turkey more then the how too's of killing turkey this book is for you and well worth the read.

I just ordered mine from Doc, and I am waiting to read on his, "why he may never", take a World Slam. ;)
I sure wonder why I did, and sure wouldn't do it again :shock: :roll:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » August 8th, 2013, 7:35 am

misoiltester wrote:
gouldshunter wrote:I got the paperback version last week and read it cover to cover in one day. This book is "Doc's" story as a young man first starting to hunt turkey to becoming a turkey killing junkie. Join "Doc" as he goes from state to state on his quest for a his first single season Grand Slam on public land. The ins and outs of killing Osceola on public land. You'll even find out why he may never take a World Slam :D . He even goes over state by state license fees contact information and the difficulties of hunting the state. If your looking for a book with stories on killing turkey more then the how too's of killing turkey this book is for you and well worth the read.

I just ordered mine from Doc, and I am waiting to read on his, "why he may never", take a World Slam. ;)
I sure wonder why I did, and sure wouldn't do it again :shock: :roll:

misoiltester you are absolutley correct, when you have taken TWO U S Super Slams like Doc what does it matter.

Hookspur

Postby Hookspur » August 14th, 2013, 4:16 pm

I want to thank everyone for the private messages, positive vibes, and orders...it's been a wild ride so far, and very exciting! Sales have been brisk, and a reporter is even showing up tonight to do an interview for the Outdoor Section of the local Sunday paper. Much fun!!

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » August 15th, 2013, 5:39 am

Hookspur wrote:I want to thank everyone for the private messages, positive vibes, and orders...it's been a wild ride so far, and very exciting! Sales have been brisk, and a reporter is even showing up tonight to do an interview for the Outdoor Section of the local Sunday paper. Much fun!!

Good news to hear Doc ;) We kew the book would do well :D
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 17th, 2013, 4:23 pm

No ebook version, why?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Hookspur

Postby Hookspur » August 19th, 2013, 6:37 am

I guess I just think a book oughta be a book. Does that make any sense? Something you can hold in your hand, and admire the care and thought that went into the design and layout; something to have signed by the author; something you can carry with you anywhere and any time, to read whenever you want; something you can physically hold in your hands. Maybe I'm "old school," but those are my thoughts.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 19th, 2013, 9:47 am

Hookspur wrote:I guess I just think a book oughta be a book. Does that make any sense?

Not anymore.
My eyes are not what they use to be, reading a paper printed page can be challenge. Fonts are easy to increase on a good ereader. Instead of carrying one book around I can now carry my entire library to read anywhere anytime and with HD photos are more detailed and life like.
Just my thoughts, maybe I'm just "new school" ;)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 19th, 2013, 10:28 am

I agree with both of you, and disagree with both of you. Modern technology is wonderful, it allows you to carry a library of books and info around with you anywhere you go all in a small package. It allows you to be able to change things (print size) without having to use something to read it easier (reading glasses), But on the down side it kills the publishing industry and puts a lot of people out of work, the cost of publishing books, and magazines is expencesive (T&TH for instance) and will make publishers drop certain books/mags unless they can make a good profit on it. Myself I prefer an old school on things, have a book in hand (IMO) is better, it allows you the chance to read it and store it on a shelf for farther use 10 years down the road, you can go back and pick it up and relook at something you've forgotten, not sure if that can be done with the modern technology yet, still too new? The printed book will still be there and if it's a popular book it will increase in value, look what Earl Mickel's books are selling for, $25.-$40. new are now selling $200.-$500. per book. So there is an advantage and disadvantage to both ways of doing a book.
Just my $.02 ?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion