20 Gauge Semi-Auto Choke/Shell Combo

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Spiider

20 Gauge Semi-Auto Choke/Shell Combo

Postby Spiider » August 12th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Hi - new user and first time poster here. I've ordered a Weatherby SA-20 Semi-Auto 20 gauge for my kids that will primarily be used for turkeys (and some other small game). So I'm looking for some advice on a choke/shell combo that would be good. It seems like there are so many good options that it makes it hard to choose... The gun comes with 3 chokes, so I'm wondering if I should just use the full choke for now and see how it goes. But I know I'm going to want a turkey choke for it anyway... I like the ported options since managing recoil is going to be important for my kids (thus the semi-auto youth gun as well). I've got some very low recoil Winchester 7/8 oz practice shells but am looking at the turkey loads. The Hevi-Shot 3" 1oz Reduced Recoil shells look to be a "decent" price for turkey loads.? Should I consider buying those and using their Hevi-13 choke as well? Looking for any recommendations on any choke or shells please.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: 20 Gauge Semi-Auto Choke/Shell Combo

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 13th, 2013, 9:52 am

I've been a Mentor for the youth/learn to hunt programs for the last 6 years. We get a lot of young hunters that just use a 20ga Full choke and shoot a 3" winchester no4 shot and have no problem rolling birds at 30-35 yards. I've had a few smaller size young hunters that shot birds out to 25-30 using the Fiochi Golden Pheasant loads in a 2-3/4" no4's through a Full choke gun. There are a lot of good chokes in a 20ga .555 to .565 dia size that will handle lead or hevi shot.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Spiider

Postby Spiider » August 13th, 2013, 11:43 am

Thanks for the reply, looks like I've got the right person here with your experience with youth turkey hunters! So it doesn't sound like I need to buy the top of the line choke to get good results? I really want to focus on managing recoil at this point so I'm starting with the best I can do for a good fitting gun, then the loads, and then the choke.

I went with these for practice, which only produce 8 ft/lbs of recoil: Winchester AA20FL in 2 3/4, 980 fps, #8 shot.

Then I considered some: Hevi-Shot 3" Reduced Recoil 1oz Magnum Blend for the hunt

I'll check out the Fiochi Golden Pheasants you mentioned as well, thank you.

One other question for you if you don't mind? What kind of sights are you using? The gun I'm getting has a single bead and I'm looking at the Truglo Magnum Gobble-dot which are open and then the Hiviz Triviz enclosed fiber sights.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 13th, 2013, 4:34 pm

The Truglo are the best I've found, they have a good metal frame and bolt up tight to the rib and stay where you put them.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 14th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Spiider wrote:looks like I've got the right person here with your experience with youth turkey hunters

You are correct. Willow knows what he is talking about.
Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » August 16th, 2013, 5:03 am

One thing to consider with a sub-gauge gun and light loads, is that the thing that makes them less lethal than a heavy 10 gauge load is pellet count. A smaller pellet count leaves you with less pattern density, hence less lethal range. So, if you take a light load, and use large shot like lead #4s, the limiting factor, pattern density, is more of a problem than it will be with say lead #6 shot, or even lead #7-1/2s. And there will be a wide range gap between pellet energy and pattern density. It's a give and take. Might as well try to match the pellet energy with pattern viability to maximize the gun's effectiveness.

Spiider

Postby Spiider » August 19th, 2013, 7:11 am

That's a great point and has been a real dilemma for me to settle on a load. I'm just going to need to do some testing with some different types and shot sizes between 20-40 yards. I'd been reading up on this quite a bit and found this article to be pretty interesting:

http://www.randywakeman.com/TalkingTurk ... ration.htm

I've got a few that I'll be testing with next week. I'll report back if there is any interest in this topic, other than for my personal interest.

hunter177

Postby hunter177 » September 1st, 2013, 8:59 pm

I agree with a previous poster. You don't need top of the line and I also strongly agree that TruGlo chokes and sights are the best. I use the TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke for my turkey hunting and I put a TruGlo fiber optic orange sight on my 870.
Mossberg 500 Turkey Gun 12 gauge
24" barrel, 3", Mossy Oak Infinity camo
Mossberg Accu-Choke XX-Full turkey choke
Winchester DoubleX 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

stevowild

Postby stevowild » January 29th, 2014, 12:24 am

Hey guys new to the forum just wanted some opinions. I bought my girlfriend a semi auto Charles daly 20 gauge looking to introduce her to turkey hunting well I've never owned a 20 gauge so I don't know where to start. What's a good choke and constriction to hold tight patterns with 3" #5s???

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 29th, 2014, 12:46 pm

stevowild wrote:Hey guys new to the forum just wanted some opinions. I bought my girlfriend a semi auto Charles daly 20 gauge looking to introduce her to turkey hunting well I've never owned a 20 gauge so I don't know where to start. What's a good choke and constriction to hold tight patterns with 3" #5s???

If I remember correctly, the Charles and Remingtons use the same chokes. Truglo, Undertaker, or Jellyhead should all work good with that gun.

Next

Return to Shooting