Turkey Prep Time

charlie elk

Turkey Prep Time

Postby charlie elk » August 8th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Soon here in WI fall turkey tags will be awarded, everyone who applied should get drawn and then on August 24 at 10a leftover tags go on sale. No hurry to buy in units 1,3,4 they don't sell out. However, that may change some year soon the number of fall turkey hunters in WI is on the increase up from historic average of 26,000 to 37,000 in 2012. That is big jump in one year perhaps I will quit urging my fellow hunters to try fall turkey hunting. ;) However I have it on good word should the number of fall hunters increase WDNR will increase the number of tags available.

If you have a turkey dog make sure you are getting the dog and yourself in shape. The fall success rate is only 12% meaning you must wear out some boots to find the turkeys.
The weather is good take some hikes with your calls and call. Other than Vic pointing the turkeys out to me calling is the only way I know to get turkeys to show themselves in the dense summer cover. I wrote about this here- http://www.charlieelk.com/2013/turkeys- ... he-summer/
Turkeys respond to the right calls any time of year.
Heck I heard gobbling while hiking this morning and if that doesn't get the hunter's anticipation going I don't what else will.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Turkey Prep Time

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 8th, 2013, 3:40 pm

[quote="charlie elk" the number of fall turkey hunters in WI is on the increase up from historic average of 26,000 to 37,000 in 2012. That is big jump in one year perhaps I will quit urging my fellow hunters to try fall turkey hunting. ;)[/quote]

I'm also torn Charlie, I like having the woods to myself in the fall, but feel guilty not letting others know what they're missing out on :lol:

The season is fast approaching! only 5 weeks to go now. I will have to swing by and visit with my landowner contacts these next couple of weekends and get the summer poult reports from them.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 9th, 2013, 7:53 am

Gopherlongbeard wrote: I'm also torn Charlie, I like having the woods to myself in the fall, but feel guilty not letting others know what they're missing out on :lol:

Myself, I actually like it when there are a few other hunters in the woods in the fall season. It's kind of like bowhunting on opening day of pheasant season. It takes a little more time to learn the escape areas that the birds use, but it can be very productive. Squirrel and bowhunters moving in and out of the woods help keep the birds moving around in it, and you learn to use those people to your advantage.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 9th, 2013, 9:34 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Myself, I actually like it when there are a few other hunters in the woods in the fall season.
You are right other hunters in the woods tend to break up the flocks making the turkeys easier to call in. States that field more fall hunters tend to have twice the success rate as WI.
From a total selfish greed standpoint the problem would not be other hunters afield rather them buying up more tags. If all 37K hunters bought 3 tags each they'd be sold out for the year. Picture me with a devil turkey on 1 shoulder and an angel turkey on the other; the devil says buy all the tags you can and the angel says share as many as you can. :roll: That's the dilemma, though I mostly lean to the angel side.
WDNR managers believe the population could sustain about 250,000 - 300,000 fall tags issued at current success rates that would be a kill of 30-36,000 birds, well below the 60,000 kill the population could withstand. Currently about 97000 tags are available each year so there is plenty of room for growth in the fall hunt.
later,
charlie

ads1

Postby ads1 » August 9th, 2013, 2:04 pm

A couple of other plus's for Wisconsin in addition to a healthy population of turkeys is the nice fall weather and the state is absolutely beautiful during the fall. There's nothing better than a cup of coffee during the still of the morning getting ready to enter the woods. I can hardly wait until September 14! :D

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 14th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Found 4 strutters with 3 lone hens out in a cut hayfield early this morning. It looked like they thought it was spring. I'm still finding freshly hatched poults!
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin