Almost like Fall

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allaboutshooting

Almost like Fall

Postby allaboutshooting » August 5th, 2013, 8:17 am

Normally, in Southern Illinois, we have some of our hottest and most humid weather in July and August. This year it's been more like fall. We've had near record low temperatures as daily highs several times and the air has been very dry and comfortable.

I've tried to take advantage of these times to visit my range and pattern my hunting guns in these fall like temperatures. Guns pattern differently in cooler temperatures than in hot temperatures, sometimes just a little different but it's always good to know just how guns shoot in various conditions.

Aside from that, I don't think I've ever seen a season in which there is so much green and in which it seems everything growing has flourished as much as this year. It looks as if it will be a great nut year, persimmons are very evident on many of our trees and I've never seen so many wild grapes. The wildlife should do very well.

That does of course mean that the grass is growing vey quickly and it's kept me busy keeping it cut. Just one more joy of summer.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

ylpnfol

Re: Almost like Fall

Postby ylpnfol » August 5th, 2013, 9:44 am

Same here Clark, we have had some hot days, but not really for extended periods and not above the mid 90's, and after a few years of dry summers, the rains have really been welcome, for the most part, this year, there is that grass cutting every week thing, I was concerned earlier about the young turkeys being adversely affected by so much rain, but the big flocks being seen squashed that, a nice, low humid 62 this morn here, going to work with the bow this week.....very nice
David

You never know, unless you go

ads1

Postby ads1 » August 5th, 2013, 1:01 pm

I'm not far from Clark and wildlife vegetation is abundant here also. Of course the soybeans planting was spread out this year because of the rains so there will be lots of protein for the wildlife to eat during the summer. I'm seeing turkeys in bean fields so I'm guessing they like them or they are eating insects. Anyway, fall turkey season will be here before we know it. We are fortunate here in Illinois with good turkey and deer hunting.

Clark, did you participate in the Grand at Sparta? I didn't realize we had such a famous shooting place in Illinois.

Terry

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 5th, 2013, 3:04 pm

ads1 wrote:I'm not far from Clark and wildlife vegetation is abundant here also. Of course the soybeans planting was spread out this year because of the rains so there will be lots of protein for the wildlife to eat during the summer. I'm seeing turkeys in bean fields so I'm guessing they like them or they are eating insects. Anyway, fall turkey season will be here before we know it. We are fortunate here in Illinois with good turkey and deer hunting.

Clark, did you participate in the Grand at Sparta? I didn't realize we had such a famous shooting place in Illinois.

Terry

Hey Terry,

I agree with you about the turkey and deer population. We are very fortunate.

I normally visit for a day or two to renew old acquaintances and spend some time with the manufacturers and vendors. The prelims begin today and run through the 9th and then "Grand Week" starts on the 10th and runs through the 15th.

It's a great time and anyone who likes guns or anything that's associated with them would enjoy it. They expect 100,000 pepole to visit. Here's a link to more information.

http://www.buckmasters.com/grand-americ ... inois.aspx

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » August 5th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Same here in Central PA. We're getting cold temps at night and low humidity during the day. It's very unusual for this time of the year.

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » August 5th, 2013, 9:43 pm

same here in the high country of Arizona our lows have been in the upper 40's. we have been getting lots of moisture and everything is much greener then normal. Darn global warming any way. I have been scouting for elk, deer and bear and one camera I have records the temp as you will see in a picture I'll post soon the temps in the upper (9500 elevation) the temp read in the upper 30's middle of July.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 6th, 2013, 7:21 am

We haven't had a 100 degree day yet this summer in NC. The high temperature has been around 96. We've only had something like 17 days where it got above 90 this summer (so far). Last year we were up to 40+ days over 90 by now. That's pretty tame for a summer around here. I'm not complaining.

I hope hurricane season remains calm. The start of September is when we're at highest risk for them.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » August 6th, 2013, 8:55 am

I figure one more week of nice weather then look out! :D School and squirrel season starts then.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

wordbird

Postby wordbird » August 9th, 2013, 8:14 am

allaboutshooting wrote: It looks as if it will be a great nut year
Thanks, Clark

It always is around these boards. :roll: :D
I agree. It has been nice avoiding so much of the heat/humidity. I just looked at our extended forecast and they have us at 81 late next week. I can sure handle that.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » August 9th, 2013, 8:36 am

It's been a 15" rainy and cloudy July, with moderately med-high temps, but quite comfortable here, till now. Hot, stagnated and humid, and rain predicted for every day ,, but only 1" on Mon. and a couple of quick showers, so far this week! :roll: Gotta have some dryin' weather, so I can get all my lawn mowed .. I mean my pasture :shock:
Turkeys & deer are doing well :lol:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion